Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Pixar Animation Studios Presents: Up! (5/29/09)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-08, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Official Website

Details
Director: Pete Doctor ("Monster's Inc.")
Writers: Pete Doctor & Bob Peterson ("Finding Nemo," "Ratatouille")
Cast: Ed Asner, Christopher Plummer, Delroy Lindo, John Ratzenberger

Plot Synopsis
from FirstShowing.net
7/29/08

Up is about a 78-year-old grumpy old man named Carl Fredricksen (voiced by Ed Asner), a short and square little man who walks with a cane. He is joined by an 8-year-old Wilderness Explorer named Russell who needs one last merit badge - assisting the elderly. When Carl was young, he met a girl named Ellie and eventually married her; it was her dream to visit Paradise Falls in Venezuela, but that dream never came true before she passed away. Now Carl is a widower and former balloon salesman and he decides to leave his home using balloons to travel to Venezuela to live out that dream.
Comic-Con Info
from scifi.com
7/26/08

Docter told the audience of more than 6,500 that his initial inspiration for the film's setting came when he saw a video of the Lost World region in Venezuela--a land of flat-topped mountains, "weird" rock shapes and "plants that are out of this world." "In Up, we're taking you to a world you've never seen before," he said. "A completely fantastic, weird place that I didn't even know existed until we started this movie. This place felt like the perfect setting for this story."

The film features the voice talent of Ed Asner in the role of Carl, with other characters voiced by Christopher Plummer, Delroy Lindo and John Ratzenberger. Docter hinted at casting surprises: "We have a great cast of characters that we didn't even unveil all of today, so there's more to come," he said.

The director also told the audience about connections between Up and other Pixar films, both past and future. "One of the characters from our film appeared in Ratatouille," he said. "I won't say more, but if you listen to the director's commentary you can find out more about that, and we will have an advance sneak towards another film coming down the pike."
Up! in 3D?
from /film.com
3/10/08

Disney has officially announced at Showest that UP, Pixar’s 2009 film will also be released in Digital Disney 3D.
Unconfirmed Rumor
from /film.com
12/23/07

Rumor has it that the upcoming 2009 Pixar animated film Up is somewhat a re-telling of the classic Don Quixote fable. For almost 60 years now the Walt Disney Company has been trying to turn Don Quixote into an animated feature film, but without success. The episodic nature of the fable is often cited as the major sticking point.
Teaser Trailer
Spoiler:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2dEdVwg7to4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2dEdVwg7to4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Trailer #2
Spoiler:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wvt9H01wFQY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wvt9H01wFQY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Trailer #3
Spoiler:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/273sRS9yRMY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/273sRS9yRMY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Interview with Pete Doctor
Spoiler:
<object width="425" height="339"><param name="movie" value="http://www.movieweb.com/v/V08G07bhijrwzE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.movieweb.com/v/V08G07bhijrwzE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="339"></embed></object>

Screenshots

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 12-30-08 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-05-08, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Teaser Poster:

Theatrical Poster

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 02-03-09 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-05-08, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,192 Likes on 2,060 Posts
From reading the plot synopsis, I'd think this will be the least commercially successful Pixar movie yet (I'm sure it'll still make a killing though). However, Pixar has yet to let me down so I'm looking forward to it.

That second screenshot looks 2D. Is that from the actual film or just some sort of conceptual drawing?
Old 08-05-08, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I only need the first 5 letters. I'm in.
Old 08-05-08, 02:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really love how Pixar are straying away from traditional "kids" stories. I've loved the more recent stuff much more. (minus Toy Story being one of the best).
Old 08-05-08, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pixar is on a roll and Pete Doctor did a great job with Monsters Inc. Plus Ed Asner is a badass. I'll be seeing it for sure.

Nice thread formatting.
Old 08-05-08, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
That second screenshot looks 2D. Is that from the actual film or just some sort of conceptual drawing?
Concept art. The first piece that Pixar released.

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
Nice thread formatting.
Thanks. I figured if I made it pretty I wouldn't get flamed for starting the thread too early.
Old 08-05-08, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
I wasn't overly thrilled at Comic Con when I was at the panel. I was more enthusiastic about Bolt.
Old 08-05-08, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by devilshalo
I wasn't overly thrilled at Comic Con when I was at the panel. I was more enthusiastic about Bolt.
i'll admit, Bolt looks like it could be harmless fun. They showed the trailer before Wall E (and i was at a real late showing), when the Miley Cyrus credit came up, there were these little girls (or early teens) that did a 'yay, Hannah', or something like that, and from the way back, i did i mildly loud 'boooo', which kind of got a small laugh. And when it played before the dark knight (midnight showing), there was kind of a 'what the fuck is this doing here', which i found amusing.
Old 08-05-08, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
i'll admit, Bolt looks like it could be harmless fun. They showed the trailer before Wall E (and i was at a real late showing), when the Miley Cyrus credit came up, there were these little girls (or early teens) that did a 'yay, Hannah', or something like that, and from the way back, i did i mildly loud 'boooo', which kind of got a small laugh. And when it played before the dark knight (midnight showing), there was kind of a 'what the fuck is this doing here', which i found amusing.
Ha, same exact thing happened to me at The Dark Knight.

This one and Bolt look like fun. I haven't seen Wall-E yet, but I have yet to be disappointed by a Pixar film, Disney on the other hand....
Old 08-06-08, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Watching the first few balloons go up reminded me of the Dreamworks openings for their animated films with the little boy lifted up by balloons to the crescent moon.

Anyone else notice a similarity?
Old 08-06-08, 12:23 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
Plus Ed Asner is a badass. I'll be seeing it for sure.
I never thought i'd hear someone say Ed Asner is badass. Ever.
Old 08-06-08, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pixar can do no wrong. Looks like another winner.
Old 11-10-08, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Up (Docter & Peterson, 2009) — Next movie by Pixar

HD Trailer | IMDB | May 29, 2009

In this "coming of old age" story, a seventysomething hero, alongside his clueless wilderness ranger sidekick, travels the globe, fighting beasts and villains, and eating dinner at 3:30 in the afternoon.

<hr>

Finally, a trailer teaser!
Old 11-10-08, 12:58 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I thought at one point this was to be Pixar's first 3D film.
Old 11-10-08, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
It is...! (at least according to the trailer)
Old 11-10-08, 01:15 PM

ooohhh, oops (teeheehee) I can't access videos/trailers here at work on my computer.
Old 11-10-08, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Giles
I thought at one point this was to be Pixar's first 3D film.
Dammit. I can't view the trailer now either, is it only in 3D?
Old 11-10-08, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...5-29-09-a.html

Noob

Pixar ain't failed me yet and I'm not expecting them to now either.

Trailer worked just fine for me at apple.com (standard - large).
Old 11-10-08, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Looks pretty slick. I love the way all those balloons look.
Old 11-10-08, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This will no-doubt be good. I really think Pixar is incapable of failure.
Old 11-10-08, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
This will no-doubt be good. I really think Pixar is incapable of failure.

"failure" can be interpreted in many ways [one word: 'Cars']
Old 11-10-08, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
"failure" can be interpreted in many ways [one word: 'Cars']
My three year old nephew is going to kick your ass. I mean, if he knew who you were. And could access the internet. And read.

For me, Cars is my least favorite of all the forays into the animation genre by Pixar. I simply could not connect to any of the characters, or truly feel their plight. However, they are, for the most part, infallible.
Old 11-10-08, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Cars only failed on the Pixar scale. If it was from any other studio, it would have been a triumph.
Old 11-10-08, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by invisiblegt
My three year old nephew is going to kick your ass. I mean, if he knew who you were. And could access the internet. And read.

For me, Cars is my least favorite of all the forays into the animation genre by Pixar. I simply could not connect to any of the characters, or truly feel their plight. However, they are, for the most part, infallible.
well duh! 'Cars' totally pandered to the kids, the script was flat and I personally found the voices grating, but enough of Cars..

'Up' looks impressive, I hope it's lives up to it's premise.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.