Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

What am I gonna do with my wee-battery operated TVs when the digital thing kicks in?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

What am I gonna do with my wee-battery operated TVs when the digital thing kicks in?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use them for a Paperweight?

(BTW: I usually don't hang around the TV Talk forum, but I did a search and hope it was good enough because I found nothing on this subject...so please BE GENTLE with me if I missed it!)

Will they even WORK anymore?

You see, I bought them for those emergency times when the power in the neighborhood goes out (like in an earthquake or riot or what have you), and that way I could keep a 'visual' eye on what's happening in my part of the woods by watching the local news.

Just give it to me straight.

Will they be useless as televisions?

-Pablito the Tres of the OtterVille People

Last edited by The Edit King; 08-04-08 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-04-08, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I believe they will be useless as portable devices, however if they have any hookups they could probably still be used in some fashion.
Old 08-04-08, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, THAT'S a FINE how do ya do!
Old 08-04-08, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it's any consolation, the eventual digital replacement tvs you get should operate more efficiently on the same battery power
Old 08-04-08, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well...it is...kinda.

It would be even NICER if they offered like a rebate or some incentive like, 'Bring in your old USELESS PIECE OF GARBAGE portable TVs and we'll give you $5 off' or some such sale scam nonsense so I won't feel like a COMPLETE IDIOT.
Old 08-04-08, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Three words for you:

Electronic Waste Recycling.
Old 08-04-08, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thank you, Thank you, & Thank you.

THIS SUCKS!

-Pablito

Last edited by The Edit King; 08-04-08 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-04-08, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by The Edit King
Use them for a Paperweight?

(BTW: I usually don't hang around the TV Talk forum, but I did a search and hope it was good enough because I found nothing on this subject...so please BE GENTLE with me if I missed it!)

Will they even WORK anymore?

You see, I bought them for those emergency times when the power in the neighborhood goes out (like in an earthquake or riot or what have you), and that way I could keep a 'visual' eye on what's happening in my part of the woods by watching the local news.

Just give it to me straight.

Will they be useless as televisions?

-Pablito the Tres of the OtterVille People
You could hook it up to a converter box. All converter boxes have an RF modulator and could output a converted digital signal on channel 3/4 (or can be hooked up by composite video or S-video if your wee tv supports, which is unlikely.)

The problem is the converter box also needs power. Some converter boxes use a "wall wart" and accept dc into the the box (I don't know the voltage/current requirements). For one of those models, you could rig something with a car adapter or a battery to provide the dc.

Without a converter box, it will be useless.
Old 08-04-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could drop it from a tall building. Use it as a door stop. Use it as a prop in a movie. Run it over with the car. Use it as a weapon in the unlikely event someone breaks into your house. Sell it now before it becomes useless and let the next sucker deal with having to get rid of it. Use it for target practice. Put it on the side of the road and see how long before someone takes it. Take the insides out and use it for a hand puppet frame. Wait until the world ends and be the only one with a battery powered tv!
Old 08-04-08, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

OD: I hear ya and thanks for takin' time to help.

I think it's getting near the end of the road for my wee-electronic friends, and I just might try some of pilot's FUNNY suggestions to put me out of my misery!
Old 08-04-08, 03:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=537046 (although technically this one was first... )

At first I thought the other post was moved here, but I come to find out in blatant disregard of the forum rules The Edit King has decided to cross post a subject Shame on you Paul, perhaps we should make this your final edit

Mod note: Seriously, if at all possible, please don't cross post
Old 08-04-08, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by nemein
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=537046 (although technically this one was first... )

At first I thought the other post was moved here, but I come to find out in blatant disregard of the forum rules The Edit King has decided to cross post a subject Shame on you Paul, perhaps we should make this your final edit

Mod note: Seriously, if at all possible, please don't cross post
But But But...Here's a quote from the thread you moved!
(BTW: I hope this is the correct forum to post this. I mean, 'DVD & Home Theater' Re: Battery operated TVs? I don't think so. 'Tech Talk'? They're all PC & Cameras and junk like that. TV Talk? Well, that's where I THOUGHT it belonged, and I posted it there but they all just ignored me. So here it is, and here I am. I did a search everywhere and hope it was good enough because I found nothing on this subject...so please BE GENTLE with me if I missed it!)
I'll admit I panicked, but that was before I started getting all these great responses!

However...

I respect your office here at DVD Talk and will gladly obide by your chastizementational and instructional suggestion, and or commandment.

But Seriously Folks & jokes aside...

I'm sincerely sorry if I caused anyone undue stress or work or any of that sort of thing.

-Paul

Last edited by The Edit King; 08-04-08 at 05:40 PM.
Old 08-04-08, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
OD: I hear ya and thanks for takin' time to help.

I think it's getting near the end of the road for my wee-electronic friends, and I just might try some of pilot's FUNNY suggestions to put me out of my misery!
I vote for leaving it somewhere where someone will steal it... after it's dead of course.
Old 08-04-08, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just leave it on at all times, you will know the aliens are on their way once they start bouncing signals back.
Old 08-04-08, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Betta fish maybe.

Some of those also act as radios, I think, so they're not *totally* useless. Just mostly.