Reload this Page >

Carmack says 360 Rage will suffer on 2 discs

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-01-08, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" width="500" height="319" id="gamevideos6" align="middle"><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="play" value="true" /><param name="loop" value="true" /><param name="scale" value="showall" /><param name="wmode" value="window" /><param name="devicefont" value="false" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><param name="menu" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="salign" value="" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.gamevideos.com//swf/gamevideos11.swf?embedded=1&fullscreen=1&autoplay=0&src=http://www.gamevideos.com/video/videoListXML%3Fid%3D20044%26ordinal%3D%26adPlay%3Dfalse" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><embed src="http://www.gamevideos.com//swf/gamevideos11.swf?embedded=1&fullscreen=1&autoplay=0&src=http://www.gamevideos.com/video/videoListXML%3Fid%3D20044%26ordinal%3D%26adPlay%3Dfalse" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" play="true" loop="true" scale="showall" wmode="window" devicefont="false" id="gamevideos6" bgcolor="#000000" name="gamevideos6" menu="true" allowscriptaccess="sameDomain" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" align="middle" width="500" height="319" /></object>

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/08/01/ca...d-to-two-dvds/

According to id Software's resident genius John Carmack, the developer's upcoming title Rage could actually look worse on Xbox 360 "due to the compression needed to fit the game's assets on two DVDs," reports Shacknews.

Evidently royalty fees associated with a third disc would make the project financially unviable, so Carmack's looking to Microsoft to bite the bullet and rescind the fee or suffer the consequences (read: a multiplatform AAA title that looks worse on 360).
I can understand that more compression would be required to fit a large, texture-filled game onto 2 discs instead of three, but I'm confused by the royalty fees we're talking about here. Blue Dragon was 3 discs largely due to the ridiculous amount of FMV sequences and actor voice for nearly everything. But it wasn't any more expensive than any other game.

Has Carmack's "ego" (see what I did there?) gotten to the point where he feels that they should be making $22 for each copy sold instead of $20.85? I'm just making up a profit and per-disc royalty scale here because I have no idea, but it seems to me that we're talking about a marginal, at worst, decrease in per-game profit for the publisher and developer.

For him to publicly call Microsoft's royalty policies into question at his own convention is ridiculous and very childish. I'm sure they'll buckle, but what an ass.

Last edited by pinata242; 08-01-08 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-01-08, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heh...Rage + AAA
Old 08-01-08, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since we have no idea what Id's bugdet and profit margin is, or how much MS charges for royalties, I think we'll have to trust him that it wouldn't be financially viable to them. I'd bet it's a bigger difference though, than $2 per disc profit.

As for Blue Dragon, maybe their situation was different. Blue Dragon was published by Microsoft. Maybe since they published it, Blue Dragon didn't have to pay a royalty? Or maybe MS waived the royalty, since they want more JRPGs on the console, to keep them happy? Or maybe they did pay it, but it fit their budget better? Who knows?

I don't think it was his ego, or him being an ass though. Where else should he have revealed this info? I think he was just explaining the differences between the versions of the game, and why the 360 version wouldn't look as good.
Old 08-01-08, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghym
I don't think it was his ego, or him being an ass though. Where else should he have revealed this info? I think he was just explaining the differences between the versions of the game, and why the 360 version wouldn't look as good.
Or trying to pressure Microsoft into rescinding the royalty fee to either:

A) Make the game look better on the 360
B) Make more money

Either reason is smart from a business sense, so long as this doesn't backfire on him.
Old 08-01-08, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mordred
Or trying to pressure Microsoft into rescinding the royalty fee to either:

A) Make the game look better on the 360
B) Make more money

Either reason is smart from a business sense, so long as this doesn't backfire on him.
He's among the few who is in the position to role the dice and take such a risk.
Old 08-01-08, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The new fall dash update will allow games to be loaded onto the hard drive. Three discs don't sound bad too me. This game looks like Motostorm with guns.
Old 08-01-08, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Yeah I don't think we have enough info to really judge that comment yet. It seems odd that an extra disc would be such a big deal though.

EDIT: Here's some more clarification - http://kotaku.com/5031985/rage-and-i...p-with-the-ps3

"We have concerns (about the 360 version of Rage) because of the economics of the platform in terms of what it costs to go to multiple discs," Hollenshead said. "There is disc space issue on the 360, and if we cant find a clever way or compromise with Microsoft to address that issue... even though we feel the 360 has superior hardware, the size limitations may mean that we may not have as much texture density or resolution on the 360 version.

"Let me be clear, this is an open question, we have these tech issues and we are working with Microsoft to solve them."

And the issue isn't just about the game being too big, Hollenshead says that developers lose upwards of 2 gigs of space per a disc because of information Microsoft requires developers to put on the discs.

Last edited by fumanstan; 08-01-08 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-01-08, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you publish the game, you don't pay royalty fees on it.
Old 08-01-08, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fumanstan
Yeah I don't think we have enough info to really judge that comment yet. It seems odd that an extra disc would be such a big deal though.
That's my point and for him to use the stage at his own conference to publicly decry Microsoft as some villain in this case was extremely unprofessional.

Anyway, here's a followup to that story and more about the PS3: http://kotaku.com/5031985/rage-and-i...p-with-the-ps3 You can read it all (rather long), but I thought this bit was interesting. This is all that needed to be said regarding the issue with the 360. And I had no idea about the 2GB+ of unused space on the 360 discs. Does anyone have any knowledge what is on there that Microsoft requires that is that big?
*snip*
"Let me be clear, this is an open question, we have these tech issues and we are working with Microsoft to solve them."

And the issue isn't just about the game being too big, Hollenshead says that developers lose upwards of 2 gigs of space per a disc because of information Microsoft requires developers to put on the discs.

*snip*
Edit: You beat me to the link while I was reading it

Last edited by pinata242; 08-01-08 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-01-08, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I wonder if the extra data is all XBox Live and Achievement stuff.
Old 08-01-08, 06:30 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Let him put out a game that reviews say sucks. It is going to hurt him more...
Old 08-01-08, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by edstein
The new fall dash update will allow games to be loaded onto the hard drive. Three discs don't sound bad too me. This game looks like Motostorm with guns.

Looks like something out of the movie Road Warrior with a somewhat futuristic feel (lasers).
Old 08-02-08, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by fumanstan
I wonder if the extra data is all XBox Live and Achievement stuff.
It can't be that, can it? It may be some form of copy protection.
Old 08-03-08, 02:42 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Yawn. I always enjoy the publishers bitching about space because they are too lazy to compress things. Just put it on 2 discs and STFU. You know the 360 version will sell two times as many copies as the PS3 version anyway. You'll get your money and release a guaranteed crap video game.
Old 08-03-08, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Yawn. I always enjoy the publishers bitching about space because they are too lazy to compress things. Just put it on 2 discs and STFU. You know the 360 version will sell two times as many copies as the PS3 version anyway. You'll get your money and release a guaranteed crap video game.
This isn't publishers, it's the developers. And I don't see how laziness plays into this. I think it's funny how people automatically assume laziness on the developer side of things, especially every time size constraints come up.
Old 08-03-08, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Yeah, because Carmack is just some dumb ass wannabe developer that doesn't know what he's doing
Old 09-16-08, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Rage Held Back By Xbox 360's Limits
Id designer Tim Willits says significant content has been cut to cram game onto 360

During his Austin Game Developers Conference discussion on storytelling and technology, id Software lead designer Tim Willits the developer is cutting back on the amount of content they would have liked to include in their upcoming shooter Rage. The main reason for limiting the game's content is the Xbox 360's limited disc storage, which allows about six to eight GB of data.
"The PC is limitless in the amount of data you can put on it," said Willits. "The PS3 has about 25GB. But the Xbox 360 roughly has 6 to 8 GB of data. We're hoping we can squeeze the game down to two discs for the 360 version."

According to Willits, the game was supposed to feature several wastelands for the player to explore. Because of the limitations of the Xbox 360's media, they had to cut down the wastelands to only two, which are themselves split into multiple instances. These changes have been made across all versions of Rage, not just the 360 port.

"I wouldn't say the overall story was changed in any way in order to fit on the Xbox 360 version," Willits said, "but how the player experiences Rage's story has been altered." Unfortunately, that means the experience has been altered across all platforms. This is one of the first signs we've received of the 360's older DVD media showing its age, but we expect some fans won't be terribly pleased that it's affecting other versions of the game as well.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3169963

-This truly sucks that the other systems are affected as well. I think theres more to this story than whats being reported. My guess is that the levels that were removed will show up through downloadable content if the game becomes a hit.
Old 09-17-08, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

More than 8gb data sounds like a lot of FMV crap too me. And with the Fall update allowing data to be copied to the HD what is the problem.
Old 09-17-08, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by edstein
More than 8gb data sounds like a lot of FMV crap too me. And with the Fall update allowing data to be copied to the HD what is the problem.
Microsoft says makers can't make hard-drive installs mandatory, since they have the Arcade editions of the 360.
Old 09-17-08, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
UPDATEWillits has informed ShackNews that no content has been cut from the game:

During my talk today I mentioned that we originally wanted to have around 5 or 6 smaller wasteland environments but later decided instead to have 2 larger wastelands. Mostly because we were going to be shipping on two DVDs for the 360 and felt that it would play better with one large wasteland on each disc so there would be no loading between wastelands. Not loading levels while you drive around is a much better decision regardless of platform.

There was NO CONTENT removed from RAGE because of the 360--NONE AT ALL. Moving from multiple wastelands into fewer but larger wastelands was a far better decision and is actually giving us more gameplay in the game.

We feel the 360 is a great platform and will provide a fantastic Rage experience.
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/54780
Old 09-17-08, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Microsoft says makers can't make hard-drive installs mandatory, since they have the Arcade editions of the 360.
That's true but also remember that the limit on Arcade titles used to be 50mb. Policies can change.
Old 09-17-08, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Carmack just sounds like a cry baby. For some reason I just get this childish impression of him, ever since I saw the first (macworld I think) presentation he gave of Rage. In that video he looked like he was still dressed by his Mum and had his hair cut with a salad bowl on top of it.
I know the dude has a tonne of money and is considered one of the best game programmers out there, but there's no excuse for someone to dress like that unless you're handicapped like Stephen Hawking or, are in fact, dressed by your mother.
So if Carmack is gonna have a winge, and Willits has to keep downplaying them, then I just won't buy the bloody game. There are plently of other A+ titles on the 360.
So Carmack, just go home and cry to your Mum. Maybe she can kiss your scraped knee better.

Rant over.
Just needed to let that out cause it was building up ever since seeing that video of him a while ago.
You may go about your business now.
Old 09-17-08, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Last time John Carmack was relevant there were four less Star Wars movies.
Old 09-17-08, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fmian
Carmack just sounds like a cry baby. For some reason I just get this childish impression of him, ever since I saw the first (macworld I think) presentation he gave of Rage. In that video he looked like he was still dressed by his Mum and had his hair cut with a salad bowl on top of it.
I know the dude has a tonne of money and is considered one of the best game programmers out there, but there's no excuse for someone to dress like that unless you're handicapped like Stephen Hawking or, are in fact, dressed by your mother.
So if Carmack is gonna have a winge, and Willits has to keep downplaying them, then I just won't buy the bloody game. There are plently of other A+ titles on the 360.
So Carmack, just go home and cry to your Mum. Maybe she can kiss your scraped knee better.

Rant over.
Just needed to let that out cause it was building up ever since seeing that video of him a while ago.
You may go about your business now.
Wow.
Old 09-17-08, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
fmian, tell us how you really feel.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.