TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Fifth of TV viewers watching online: survey

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-08, 01:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fifth of TV viewers watching online: survey

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080729/tv_nm/online_dc_2

Tue Jul 29, 5:36 PM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A fifth of U.S. television viewers are putting down their remote controls and clicking on a mouse instead to watch primetime programs online -- particularly professional women, according to a new survey.

It showed that 50 percent of people viewing TV on the Web are watching programs as they become available and "appear to be beginning to use the computer as a substitute for the television set," Integrated Media Measurement Inc. (IMMI), which conducted the poll, said.

The other half are using the Internet to watch programs they have missed, or to re-watch segments or episodes they have already seen, IMMI, a company which links media exposure to consumer action, added.

"This is the first study to show there are a significant amount of people watching primetime shows online who are not watching some portion of those shows on television," Amanda Welsh, head of research for IMMI, said in a statement.

The report showed that the largest group of online TV viewers are white, affluent, well educated, working women aged 25 to 44.

IMMI said women are busy with their work and personal lives and don't have time to be tied down to live television-viewing schedules. They may not have time to watch their shows live, so they may use the online episodes to fill in the shows that they missed live.

IMMI recruited 3,000 teens and adults in New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, Houston and Denver for the survey and gave them cell phones with special software that tracks their media viewing.

Reuters/Nielsen
This is probably one of the reasons that viewership for the overnight and weekly Nielsens are down dramatically this last year or so.

Chris
Old 07-30-08, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
I'd love to know what the ratio of legal (Hulu, etc) to unauthorized viewing these numbers consist of.
Old 07-30-08, 07:32 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts
The report showed that the largest group of online TV viewers are white, affluent, well educated, working women aged 25 to 44.
And guys watch sports. Amazing.
Old 07-31-08, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts
I prefer online because there's no on-screen crap and fewer or no commercials!
Old 07-31-08, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
I don't have cable or a DVR and I work at night so I'm often sleeping when some of my fave shows air. I'll often watch the full shows on their network's website.

I was able to catch up on 30 Rock, Grey's Anatomy, The Real World and its spin off shows, and many others online over the last couple years.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-31-08 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-31-08, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
I stopped watching shows on tv two years ago. I hook up my laptop to the tv if i wanna watch a show.
Old 07-31-08, 04:03 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I'm skeptical of this figure. I bet 20% of people don't even know how to watch tv programs online.
Old 07-31-08, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts
How does the cell phone track what they watch? And doesn't it mean that the people they gave the cell phones to had some familiarity with technology already, since they had to be able to use them to track what they watch? Seems like a pretty biased report, and then you only have 3000 people in six major cities, where I would think technology would be more readily available anyway.