"Too Human" - Beowulf meets the Bionic Man

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-08, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just finished the demo. Actually seems like a lot of fun. I may have to go back and play with the Berserker as well, but I'd rather use the (locked in the demo) Defender - who might actually be better for multiplayer than single player but we'll see. I'm not sure if the Co-op is playable on the same screen like Ultimate Alliance or if it's only via live, but in that sense the classes almost make a mini WoW type group with healers, tanks, etc.

It's an interesting game style. The RPG/talent tree and "click to kill" sorts of elements remind me a lot of Diablo while the actual fighting/juggling/shooting is very Devil May Cryish. It's not as pretty as the second one, but it's got a lot more features.

Overall, I'd say very enjoyable - and definitely something I will pick up in the future. I'd probably go ahead and buy it on release day if I didn't still have so many other games to play through on my pile.

Although the darkish cybernetic look is getting a little old for me, it's nice to see some bright spots of light and color and the actual idea behind the setting (what it actually shows so far) seems fairly original - though I'm curious to see if they actually have enough material to work with for an entire game.

Anyone else given it a shot yet?

edit - it definitely takes some getting used to not using the analog stick to rotate the camera - especially in a game like this, but using it for attacking also starts to become fairly intuitive.

Last edited by Tuan Jim; 07-27-08 at 12:34 AM.
Old 07-27-08, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,286 Likes on 4,299 Posts
It's been discussed in the 360 thread. I was pretty unimpressed. The camera is just evil. I didn't think fighting wave after wave of baddies was that much fun.
Old 07-27-08, 04:41 AM
Banned

It is merely decent at best, nothing special. Considering the game has been in development for a decade, I was expecting something truly special. So far it is underwhelming.
Old 07-27-08, 10:31 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
I'll definitely be picking it up. But I think L&O and I (and now you) are the only ones who have said we like it.
Old 07-27-08, 10:49 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I thought it was okay. Which for most development teams would be acceptable, but for Silicon Knights it's a crying shame since Eternal Darkness was such a great game last generation.
Old 07-27-08, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It was like Mass Effect only a lot worse.
Old 07-27-08, 12:56 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I don't know about that. I got through the whole demo in an hour or so. By the time I'd gotten that far in Mass Effect it took me 25 hours, 24.5 of that spent in dialogue trees.
Old 07-27-08, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
I don't know about that. I got through the whole demo in an hour or so. By the time I'd gotten that far in Mass Effect it took me 25 hours, 24.5 of that spent in dialogue trees.
I don't understand, 25 hours to complete the demo?

The controls, camera, and storyline was much more interesting in Mass Effect.
Old 07-27-08, 04:34 PM

I like it quite a bit, and will definitely be picking it up. After my first time through the demo, I thought it was average; however, having now played through it once with each class, and getting better at the combat (juggling, fierce finishers, 2-in-1 attacks, etc.), I'm really excited for it.

I probably had the most fun with the Berserker, but I think I'll be playing a Bioengineer, as I doubt many people will pick to be a Bioengineer, but they will definitely be needed in a party.

Edit: I don't really think it's fair to criticize the story when all we have to judge it by is the demo. Considering that A: this is a Silicon Knights game, and B: it's a retelling/reimagining of Norse mythology, I'm optimistic.

Last edited by No Use For A Name; 07-27-08 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-27-08, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The cut scenes seemed OK I thought. I had a little trouble getting a hang of the advanced combat techniques in the 45 minutes I played, but it seemed that there is some fun to be had. I don't like the invisible walls everywhere. Most games have them, but in Too Human they seem more obvious than they need to be. I guess they had trouble with player models getting caught on the environment and went for the cheap way out.
Old 07-27-08, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,698 Likes on 1,056 Posts
It was just ok. I skipped all the cutscenes (hate them in any game) and I was getting into the loot aspect. I love getting new stuff in games.

But it certainly wasn't the second coming, and Dennis Dyack has officially gone off the deep end by saying the game is better than anything they've done before. It is decidedly not.
Old 07-27-08, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JasonF
I'll definitely be picking it up. But I think L&O and I (and now you) are the only ones who have said we like it.
Hell yes! And, from what I've read you can get all the characters unlocked in the demo... I saw it on gamefaqs but haven't tried.
Old 07-27-08, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here is a way to unlock all 5 character classes in the demo:
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/27/to...lock-shift-ma/
Old 07-27-08, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally Posted by flashburn
Here is a way to unlock all 5 character classes in the demo:
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/27/to...lock-shift-ma/
Thanks for the link. I'll give that a shot this week. I couldn't tell that Berserker had only just unlocked - interesting.
Old 07-27-08, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was really interested in this game, until the demo. It just didn't clicked with me. But I loved the trailer!
Old 07-28-08, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can add me to the short list of people who actually liked the demo. The first time I played it I hated everything about it, but once I "got" it I started having a fun time. It really is Diablo in a Sci-Fi setting. I still hate the damn camera though.
Old 08-18-08, 11:23 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Just a little head's up: Too Human is priced at $49.99 on the TRU website. Not sure it that price will stick in-store for the Buy 1 get second at half price sale this week.

1Up posted their sparse review today: C-

Last edited by Flay; 08-18-08 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-18-08, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Flay
Just a little head's up: Too Human is priced at $49.99 on the TRU website. Not sure it that price will stick in-store for the Buy 1 get second at half price sale this week.

That was a pretty piss poor review. It says nothing that makes me think they played anything more than the demo with co=op enabled.
Old 08-18-08, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Even Game Informer gave it a mediocre 6.75 and I'm frequently complaining that they over rate games. I think this is one that will be a love it or hate it game and at this point and I'm not sure there will be nearly enough love its for a sequel. Tough times for Silicon Knights.
Old 08-18-08, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 135 Posts
Fry's is also supposed to have this for 49.99. I guess the reviews explain why this game is coming out immediately on sale. In my experience that only happens on games with big hype followed by not so great reviews.
Old 08-18-08, 04:16 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
That was a pretty piss poor review. It says nothing that makes me think they played anything more than the demo with co=op enabled.
I agree it's a horrible review. The guy just kept making statements about the game without any examples to back it up. He hasn't reviewed much of anything else at 1up from what I can tell.

I have a feeling it's going to get panned critically, perhaps not that harsh though. I'm just waiting for Dyack to pipe in over at Neogaf again.

Last edited by Flay; 08-18-08 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-18-08, 04:45 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Worse than Mass Effect? Jeez. That takes work.
Old 08-18-08, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

To the people comparing this game to Mass Effect. No wonder you guys don't like the game!
Old 08-18-08, 05:52 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Here's a review from the Guardian: http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/games/ar...an_review.html

Too Human has skill trees, levelling, looting, big guns, co-op - heck, this should be great, right? Sadly not. Repetitive action, bland graphics, iffy controls, technical glitches - for a game that has been in development for years this is unforgivable.
Old 08-18-08, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Those limey bastards!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.