Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

KURO-OBI aka BLACK BELT (2007) - essential viewing for fans of martial arts cinema!

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

KURO-OBI aka BLACK BELT (2007) - essential viewing for fans of martial arts cinema!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-08, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Though it isn't a samurai film, I expect that those well-versed in samurai cinema are already aware of this film. Set in the early 1930's, KURO-OBI (aka BLACK BELT (2007) is a recent period martial arts film by way of Japan. An official, English-friendly DVD is soon to be available on August 6th via an Australian R4 release. For those not requiring English subs, there is a Japanese DVD release and I believe a German one as well. The English-friendly Australian release is up for pre-order at the usual Australian sites, an example being ezydvd as follows:

BLACK BELT DVD at ezydvd.com.au
I believe you might find better pricing at other Australian e-tailers such as dvdcrave. And I'm not sure why the ezydvd listing seems to have the incorrect information in regard to the director's name.

I enjoyed KURO-OBI immensely and would give it a very strong recommendation to fans of martial arts cinema as well as fans of classic Japanese cinema. The film could be labelled as being rather plain and old-fashioned but I felt that all involved poured their hearts and souls into the project. In KURO-OBI you might not find the greatest performances ever put on film nor any great example of modern technical/special-effects/CGI wizardy, but the film succeeds on giving you characters you care about and a story, common as it might be, to command your interest. In presenting the tale of two karate students who have different interpretations of what martial arts is about, I feel it is a story that someone like Bruce Lee would have been proud to see. I can't claim it is the best film I've seen in recent times but it is right at the top with my favorites in recent memory, and it is the ultra-rare film that had me wanting to watch it all over again right after finishing it one time through. This wish to re-watch it wasn't a result of needing to see it again because of any great final twist or any need to re-evaluate everything I'd already seen, but simply a case of wanting to experience a pleasant story and interesting characters all over again.

Following is the IMDb link:
Kuro-Obi (2007) at IMDb.com

Link to official site with trailer (enter site via lower right then click first option on the left):
Kuro-Obi (2007) - official site with trailer

Also a link to Tom Mes' review at midnighteye:
Black Belt review at midnighteye

Furthermore a link to Mark Pollard's review (with trailer) at kungfucinema:
Black Belt review at kungfucinema

And some youtube clips:
Making of footage for Kuro-Obi Note: I don't know if this will be included on the Australian DVD
Opening scene to Kuro-Obi
Opening fight scene in Kuro-Obi
Opening fight scene (part 2)
Fight featuring protagonist 1
Fight featuring protagonist 2

I thought the fight scenes were well done and held even greater impact within the context of the entire film as opposed to being viewed as youtube clips. I wouldn't have minded slightly less cutting in the fight scenes and maybe some more old-school Shaw Bros. cinematography where the camera is held further back to give you a greater view, but still the fights were well-presented.

And for simplicity, here is Variety's review of the film:
Black Belt
Kuro-Obi
(Japan) A Klockworx presentation of a Crossmedia production. (International sales: the Klockworx, Tokyo.) Produced by Nobuhiko Sakho. Directed by Shunichi Nagasaki. Screenplay, George Iida.

With: Akihito Yagi, Tatsuya Naka, Yuji Suzuki, Hakuryu, Shinya Ohwada, Takayasu Komiya.

By EDDIE COCKRELL

"Black Belt" is a thinking person's martial-arts saga that deftly, if predictably, balances the yin and yang of violent confrontation and moral reflection against the backdrop of military co-opting of karate in 1930s Japan. Absent the visual razzle-dazzle of CGI and wirework, becoming de rigueur for such fare, measured approach by vet Nipponese genre journeyman Shunichi Nagasaki leaves pic with an honorable fight ahead of it following fest action.
At a remote dojo on Japan's southernmost island of Kyushu, three young men study defense-based karate under the watchful eye of sensei Eiken Shibahara (Shinya Ohwada), who advises, "Never attack in karate," serenely adding, "No kicks, either." When the military police arrive to oust them, Giryu (Akihito Yagi) physically rebuffs stern captain Tanahara (Hakuryu). Giryu's defensive approach is mocked by his more aggressive fellow pupil, Taikan (Tatsuya Naka), who clearly has different ideas about applying his training to real-life situations. Third student, Choei (Yuji Suzuki), is wounded by the officer and subsequently serves as the story's Greek chorus.

Pushed over a cliff by Tanahara's vengeful children, idealistic Giryu is nursed back to health by a caring family even as the opportunistic Taikan is hired to teach karate to the military, clearly impressed by the discipline's potential. Entire story builds toward the prolonged showdown between the corrupted Taikan and the traditional Giryu, whose hand-to-hand battle over fields and through the mud is dramatically satisfying precisely because it doesn't lean on f/x work.

As in many of his previous high-profile fest films encompassing action ("Heart, Beating in the Dark"), horror ("Shikoku"), relationship drama ("Some Kinda Love") and melodrama ("A Tender Place"), Nagasaki takes a leisurely, novelistic approach to pacing and story. Seen in this light, the moralistic tensions of karate, as played out in the rich yet inevitably schematic script by George (aka Joji) Iida, rep fertile ground for drama. Three leads are nonpros who hold black belts themselves, and each is a natural. Sizable cast is peppered with enough gently comic turns to leaven pic's seriousness.

Tech package is solid, with Fuyuhiko Nishi's no-frills action choreography taking centerstage. Climactic grapple is lensed in black-and-white, perhaps to emphasize the ancient, timeless technique of the martial art.

Camera (color), Masato Kaneko; editor, Hirohide Abe; music, Naoki Sato; production designers, Tatsuo Ozeki, Atsuo Hirai; sound (Dolby SR), Yutaka Tsurumaki; assistant director, Tatsuya Yoshimura; action choreography, Fuyuhiko Nishi. Reviewed at Montreal World Film Festival (competing), Aug. 25, 2007. Running time: 95 MIN.

In closing, I am disheartened that KURO-OBI has not received greater buzz...but I suppose life is not always fair. I hope those of you who choose to check it out find it as enjoyable as I did.
Old 07-27-08, 01:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
love to see it but the discs a bit expensive and the film stands a chance if a USA release.
Old 07-27-08, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The price through DVDCrave is at least a few dollars less than what you see on the ezydvd link above (I haven't checked pricing on all the other Australian e-tailers). While I don't shop there anymore, CD-WOW has a listing for a title BLACK BELT being released around the same time. There are no details in the listing but it is a fair assumption it could be the Australian disc...price is $25.99. For those in the U.S., perhaps Xploited might get it as Tony does stock Australian stuff from time-to-time, but then given the recent announcement maybe he won't add it. And "yes" exhibiting a little patience and waiting for an alternative (aka less expensive) release is always an option.
Old 09-10-08, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As listed on hkflix, the R1 DVD release is slated for November 18th.
Old 09-10-08, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is a good flick, I caught it at festival here last month. I'll pick it up when it comes out.
Old 11-13-08, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just a friendly reminder, the R1 U.S. DVD is slated for release next Tuesday - November 18th - just in time for those who might wish to consider it for purchase during the current 25% discount sales at DD and DVDPLANET.