Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Holy Carp! New Paul Westerberg full length for 49 cents!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-08, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

49 minute album for 49 cents.

http://www.amazon.com/49-00/dp/B001C...ref=dm_ap_alb1

Sounds good!

I've always complained about (official) music downloads being too expensive, but this is too cheap! $2.00 would probably be a fair price for a full length album download.
Old 07-21-08, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Song Title.......Artist.................Time
49:00.......Paul Westerberg ......43:55

Old 07-21-08, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 07-22-08, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker
Song Title.......Artist.................Time
49:00.......Paul Westerberg ......43:55

That's Paul for you!

Good album! Deal of the century for 49 cents.
Old 07-22-08, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

more info:

http://colormeimpressednews.blogspot.com/

(Billboard) Despite the fact that he doesn't have a computer and may never have been online in his life, Replacements frontman Paul Westerberg is the latest artist to embrace the Internet for rapid dissemination of new music.

Yesterday, Westerberg made available a 44-minute single MP3 file of a dozen-plus songs, dubbed "49," for 49 cents. Amazon.com is handling the commerce. Tunecore will begin carrying the release later today.

"He finished it on Monday, sent it to me on Tuesday and it was out this weekend," Westerberg manager Darren Hill tells Billboard.com. "It's just wonderful that you can actually do this. The freedom an artist can enjoy these days is fantastic. Can you imagine me pitching this idea to a label?"

The 49-cent price was a joking suggestion from Westerberg to charge "a penny a minute," but Amazon.com was the only digital retailer that "would play ball with me on the price point," Hill says.

"49" has no track list or lyrics, keeping with a long-standing Westerberg tradition. But a handful of the songs will be familiar to hardcore fans, including an alternate version of "Out of My System," which previously appeared on the compilation "Hot Stove, Cool Music," and "Everyone's Stupid," which is written from the perspective of a pre-teen who discovers he's the last to know about his parents' impending divorce.

Westerberg played all the instruments on the decidedly lo-fi recordings, which often feature two songs playing at once for a few seconds and short snippets that abruptly cut off. "It's almost like you're scanning a radio dial," Hill says. "You're getting a glimpse inside of Paul's head here." "49" concludes with a strange mash-up of partial covers such as the Partidge Family's "I Think I Love You," the Beatles' "Hello, Goodbye," Steppenwolf's "Born To Be Wild," Simon & Garfunkel's "I Am a Rock" and Elton John's "Rocket Man," and a rave-up apparently sung by Westerberg's pre-teen son Johnny.

Without revealing specifics, Hill says "49" is "just the tip of a really large creative iceberg. Paul has been writing and recording at a furious pace." However, he adds that "there are no plans or talk of doing any performances at the moment." Westerberg has only performed once since severely injuring his fretting hand in 2006 while trying to remove candle wax with a screwdriver: he was the subject of a September 2007 episode of "The Craft," a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame chat-and-sing series a la VH1's "Songwriters," at Minneapolis' First Avenue, during which "Everyone's Stupid" was premiered.

As previously reported, the Replacements' major-label catalog will be reissued in expanded form Sept. 23 via Rhino.
Old 07-22-08, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
:::::waits for Gene Simmons to attack Paul Westerberg for actually being in the industry for reasons other than the love of $$$:::::
Old 07-22-08, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
"49" concludes with a strange mash-up of partial covers such as the Partidge Family's "I Think I Love You," the Beatles' "Hello, Goodbye," Steppenwolf's "Born To Be Wild," Simon & Garfunkel's "I Am a Rock" and Elton John's "Rocket Man," and a rave-up apparently sung by Westerberg's pre-teen son Johnny.
I'll buy that for forty nine cents!
Old 07-22-08, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Very interesting. Paul might not always be at a creative peak, but I'll always care about what he's doing.
Old 07-22-08, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
So, this is just one long mp3 file, huh? I HATE when I'd get CDs that were just a single track (mostly stand-up comedy or mix CDs). Very annoying. But even though I'm not a huge fan of Westerberg's solo stuff, I'll likely buy this to support him and the low price model. Hey, it's only half a buck.

Better news to me is that the Replacements' major label albums are getting reissued! Pleased To Meet Me was a huge favorite of mine growing up.

(I hang my head in shame in admitting that, aside from a few songs, I'm not really familiar with their stuff before that album. I know, I know.)
Old 07-22-08, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJLinus
(I hang my head in shame in admitting that, aside from a few songs, I'm not really familiar with their stuff before that album. I know, I know.)
No shame. But since you like Pleased, you really should check out Tim and Let It Be (the two right before it).
Old 07-22-08, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJLinus
Hell, I'm not really familiar with The Replacements at all, but I'll gladly drop 49 cents to check out a complete album.
Old 07-22-08, 10:12 PM

get it!

i'm about 30:00 through 49:00 and will definitely recommend it, regardless of price! the sound is similar to his 'Stereo' album which is my favorite from what i've heard of his.

if you don't know his work and want to hear a little of what this might sound like before you break the bank on the download, listen to the samples of that album for a general idea.
Old 08-04-08, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How is this not available any longer? Was this limited? Can anyone help?
Old 08-04-08, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

huh? That's weird... Can't find it either... I'm sure you can find it through other means, but man, for 49 cents, I'd rather pay!
Old 08-04-08, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

huh? That's weird... Can't find it either... I'm sure you can find it through other means, but man, for 49 cents, I'd rather pay!
Yep, I want to pay for it but that doesn't seem to be an option anymore.
Old 08-05-08, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well worth the .49 cents if you can still find it. So when are they going to press this on vinyl?
Old 08-06-08, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

looks to have been taken down likely due to copywrite issues with the cover song snippets

however.....
Paul has released 5:05, the remaining portion of 49:00 (if you recall 49:00 was only 43:55 long) which seems like a response to the issue.

download it now at TuneCore

http://studio.tunecore.com/store/product/47
Old 08-06-08, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by musick
looks to have been taken down likely due to copywrite issues with the cover song snippets

however.....
Paul has released 5:05, the remaining portion of 49:00 (if you recall 49:00 was only 43:55 long) which seems like a response to the issue.

download it now at TuneCore
And how much is that, $4.99? Even 99 cents is too much for one song...

I think $2.99 would be a fair price for a full digital album. $1 goes to the artist. $1 to the record label. $1 to the company that owns the server it's stored on.
Old 08-06-08, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think $2.99 would be a fair price for a full digital album.
good then if you downloaded "49:00" followed by "5:05" you would have paid $1.48 ... I guess you should be quite pleased

Last edited by musick; 08-06-08 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-06-08, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No dice. I will get my hands on a copy of the whole thing some day.
Old 08-27-08, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yes, more Paul

Old 09-15-08, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Paul Westerberg - Bored of Edukation

http://www.tunecore.com/store/product/50