Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Best Version of Hard Boiled?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-08, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just recently revisited Hard Boiled after years.

I now wish to own it again.

Looking for:
Best Video
Best Audio
Original Dialogue with Subs
Closest to the Director's original vision

I currently don't have a Region Free, so I'll need the disc playable on a Region 1 Machine.

Please let me know!

P.S. If you could also list the best version regardless of Region Coding for reference. . .
Old 07-21-08, 08:53 AM

That's easy: HK Video in France (R2).

Now, it comes with original Cantonese mono track, and subs. The subs are French, and they're forced, but the picture quality is the best.

Second would be the newer R1 release by Genius Products. It's a 2-disc set and has by far the best extras, as well as a DTS track. Unfortunately (and a big one at that), the subs are dubtitles, taking away from the actual meaning of what's being said.

Third would probably by the HK remaster by Mei Ah. It's got a DTS track, but it's not the best and the picture is pretty soft, but it's okay.
Old 07-21-08, 09:14 AM

pat, thanks for that, I'll likely get that R1 release.

can you further explain dubtitles?
Old 07-21-08, 09:20 AM

also for the new 2 disc r1 set.

do you mean the one released by dragon dynasty?

it's the only new version i could find.
Old 07-21-08, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by ziondog
can you further explain dubtitles?
"Dubtitles" means that the subtitles on the disc, instead of translating the original dialogue, are a transcription of the English dub script.

Dub scripts frequently change the character's dialogue in order to find words that can be spoken in the same amount of time that the actor is moving his mouth.
Old 07-21-08, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts
Originally Posted by pat00139
That's easy: HK Video in France (R2).

Now, it comes with original Cantonese mono track, and subs. The subs are French, and they're forced, but the picture quality is the best.

Second would be the newer R1 release by Genius Products. It's a 2-disc set and has by far the best extras, as well as a DTS track. Unfortunately (and a big one at that), the subs are dubtitles, taking away from the actual meaning of what's being said.

Third would probably by the HK remaster by Mei Ah. It's got a DTS track, but it's not the best and the picture is pretty soft, but it's okay.
you left out one of the best: the R2 PAL release from Tartan. it is anamorphic, high-bitrate, has the cantonese audio in original mono as well as DTS 5.1, english subtitles (not dubtitles), and the image quality of the transfer is pretty close to the french release, while being much more english-friendly.

Last edited by kefrank; 07-21-08 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-21-08, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by kefrank
you left out one of the best: the R2 PAL release from Tartan. it is anamorphic, high-bitrate, has the cantonese audio in original mono as well as DTS 5.1, english subtitles (not dubtitles), and the image quality of the transfer is pretty close to the french release, while being much more english-friendly.
can this still be easily had? I have the fox labor version right now and want to upgrade.
Old 07-21-08, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by squidget
can this still be easily had? I have the fox labor version right now and want to upgrade.
Yes, if you are region free or at least have a player that will do PAL, this disc is region free and has great English subs. It is cheap too, usually around $10-$12.
Old 07-22-08, 05:13 PM

I've compiled a collection of Hard Boiled discs that would collapse into a nice SE:

- R1 Fox Lorber for the Woo and Chang commentary
- R2 Tartan for best AV quality with proper English subs
- R2 TF1 (French disc) for a fantastic documentary on the film. Only catch is there are no English subs when Philip Kwok is speaking (french only) but that's only around 15 min of a two hour documentary. And I said all those French classes wouldn't come in handy one day!

It's a pity Dragon Dynasty didn't do more with this title given the resources that were available.
Old 07-22-08, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just to be clear, this is correct Tartan release? http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...6-21/ref=nosim
Old 07-22-08, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts
Originally Posted by squidget
Just to be clear, this is correct Tartan release? http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...P2/nextag6-21/
that's the one!
Old 07-23-08, 08:08 AM

The comparison between 7 editions at Bulletsnbabes.
Old 09-26-09, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Best Version of Hard Boiled?

Resurrecting this thread just to get an extra verification on everything.

FYI - I have the Fox/Lorber version (had no idea it was non-anamorphic, bought it like 5 years ago). I am also planning on purchasing the R1 Dragon Dynasty version for the extras (but dubtitles are a no-go for watching the movie).

What I'm trying to figure out which has the best picture. From This link it initially looked like the R2 Denmark release, but it sounds like everyone is recommending the Tartan release.
Old 09-28-09, 06:40 AM

Re: Best Version of Hard Boiled?

Seeing that the OP is in Canada, I'd say go with the Dragon Dynasty version.
I can see so many convenience along Yonge and Queen selling a brand new copy of "Hard Boiled" for $7.99 plus tax. Personally, English subtitles are a lost cause to me. I can understand Cantonese just fine. =)