Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Why are DVD player remotes so horrid?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-08, 02:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There seems to be little if any design thought in most DVD player remotes. They usually have small buttons with similar shapes that make navigation in typical movie-watching conditions highly frustrating.

Are the companies just too cheap to do better? Is a good remote too much to expect from a $70 upconvert player? Do they just figure most people will switch to a universal remote so it's not worth the bother?

It doesn't seem like it would take rocket science to make a user-friendly remote. A good hour or two of thinking about it, or even the most rudimentary user testing should suffice to illuminate promising layouts that let people navigate the remote largely by touch. It seems like sheer laziness.

And yes, a recent experience fuels my post. I bought a Toshiba SD-6100 to replace an older Toshiba (with a much, much better remote) that started making loud motor noises. The remote was so bad (that and the SD-6100's problem with a few flawless discs) I immediately turned around and ordered another (JVC) online after making sure I knew what the remotes would look like.
Old 07-18-08, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If layout is your chief issue, see here:
http://www.bluedo.com/bluedocgi/prod...i?model=MX-500

I seldom find any remote to be very user-friendly unless it is a universal specifically designed to be so. And many of those don't succeed, either.
Old 07-19-08, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts
I've liked most of the Pioneer remotes- I can handle those in my sleep. I've never seen a universal remote that could realistically take the place of all my separate remotes- most ones I've seen are missing the angle button, not to mention the ones I need to change regions on one of my players!
Old 07-19-08, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think a better question is:

Why haven't you plunked the money down for a Harmony remote yet?
Old 07-19-08, 11:19 AM

I have no idea what any of my DVD remotes look like.
Old 07-19-08, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Harmony's are fantastic because they're usually layed out very nicely, they feel comfortable in your hand, and you can program it the way you want, and control virtually anything with it... and turn it all on and to the right inputs with the push of one button. And they couldn't be easier to program.

I get your point though, it shouldn't be difficult for companies to lay out their buttons better. But the companies spend so much time working on the DVD player itself that I think when it comes to controller design and functionality, they don't take much else into consideration. I was in the camp that thought it may be silly to spend a bit more money on a remote like a Harmony... but liked the idea of condensing like four remotes down to one. Now that I bought it... I'm very very happy I spent the money. And even my wife who normally cares very little for electronic toys, appreciates it just as much as I do.
Old 07-19-08, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I've liked most of the Pioneer remotes- I can handle those in my sleep. I've never seen a universal remote that could realistically take the place of all my separate remotes- most ones I've seen are missing the angle button, not to mention the ones I need to change regions on one of my players!
Time to look in the right place, remotes have been available like this for years. The one I linked (which I use) could do all that, although some of its brethren might be even slicker with better macros. The Harmony's can. Any Pronto or other fully programmable touchscreen certainly can. RTI is a killer installer-only remote that can do anything, has a decent button layout and a nice touchscreen, also.

My MX-500 currently handles every single command I want for:
projector
DVDp
DVD-R
receiver
another TV
DirecTivo
HD DirecTivo
LDp
Mac Mini
X10 lighting

And back when I still used a VCR, it could do one thing the VCR's remote couldn't: I found an Eject code online which I put into the universal.
Old 07-21-08, 01:45 PM

I've had no problems with the sony dvd player remotes I've had. But some of the cheaper players I've seen have awful remotes (no angle button or number buttons!).
I did move to a universal remote, the kameleon
http://www.mykameleon.com/product_ofa8.html which I love and highly recommend. It's easy to setup and can learn any function from another remote.'

I'm not sure why everyone is so hot on the Logitech Harmony remotes. I purchased one because of the good word about them and took it back a few days later. I am fairly smart and electronically inclined and I hated the Harmony remote. The setup was painful (no way to go back if you make a mistake) and once I did get it "working" the response time was unacceptable (I should not have a noticable delay when changing channels). I could never get the macros to work right either.
Old 07-21-08, 03:54 PM

when a remote supports BlueTooth for the PS3 i'll be happy.
Old 07-22-08, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

funny...I've only ever used the remotes that come with players as a source for one backup set of batteries.

(probably b/c they ARE so crummy). But, nonetheless: I swear by my Harmony.
Old 07-22-08, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by WiiDSmoker
when a remote supports BlueTooth for the PS3 i'll be happy.
I use my Harmony 880 with my PS3 - using the bluetooth remote/dongle carried by Gamestop among others (I've seen it on sale for $10). I taught all the remote commands to my 880, and it works like a champ. I know there's a more expensive option online that people were raving about - I don't have a link handy. I'm sure someone else can post it.
Old 07-22-08, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by edclem
funny...I've only ever used the remotes that come with players as a source for one backup set of batteries.

(probably b/c they ARE so crummy). But, nonetheless: I swear by my Harmony.
You really shouldn't store unused remotes with batteries in them.
Old 07-28-08, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky
You really shouldn't store unused remotes with batteries in them.
Meaning: I take the batteries that came w/ the player remote and keep those. The remote (usually) has gotten tossed somewhere in our storage room.

Yeah, keeping batteries in an unused remote = crusty oxidation mess.
Old 07-28-08, 05:05 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

If you are of average intelligence, I highly recommend Sony RM-AX1400.
http://www.remotecentral.com/ureview/122.htm