Reload this Page >

Amazon DOTD - StarGate SG1 Complete series @ $117

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-08, 02:27 AM

Location: on my couch watching dvds of course .. where else ???
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should be a great price for this set.

i just grabbed one for myself.
Old 07-16-08, 04:04 AM

If only I wasn't so broke already...
Old 07-16-08, 05:34 AM
Cool New Member

Last night I was scoping this set out, thinking I would love to see this in Amazon's gold box again. It's quite a coincidence that it appears the very next morning. I wonder if any of the other big DVD sets I had eye on will appear soon. LOL.

Update: I ended up canceling my order because of what seems to be a major problem with scratched discs, duplicate/missing discs and entire seasons. It's much more widespread than I thought. I'm surprised the series box set hasn't been reissued. It seems like a total crapshoot. The odds of getting a good box set are slim to none.

Last edited by JChamberlin; 07-16-08 at 07:16 AM.
Old 07-16-08, 07:16 AM

I was tempted by this but theres a lot of reviews that complain about the poor packaging and scratched/defective discs.
Old 07-16-08, 07:34 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great price.

My only reservation has to do with the bad reviews from Amazon customers regarding the packaging. Seems as though a lot of people had scuffed & severely scratched discs, missing discs, duplicate discs, etc. Looking at the pictures posted of the cardboard holders, I can see why there might be problems (several people mentioned that the discs either stuck in the cardboard sleeves or were prone to fall out easily). Also mentioned were the 'fold-out' book/sleeves compared to 'a giant sail' when extended (?).

Would like to get this & sell off the individual boxes (I can get $20 each for them & save over $80 assuming I want to keep the set), but I've had bad experiences with several megasets (ST:TNG had several badly scratched discs; All Creatures Great & Small had a duplicate disc). The problem is exchages; you usually have to return the entire box...I actually lost out of All Creatures because it had gone out of print when I returned it & they just gave me a refund.

Anyway, don't mean to rain on the parade but just wondered if anybody here can offer their reviews of the Stargate set. Is the packaging as bad as they say, or does this just seem to be isolated cases of damage? If the former, I'll just stick with the original box sets.

Thanks for the post at any rate.

[Edit] Just now read johnbeas' post saying the same thing...only more directly to the point!
Old 07-16-08, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Aside from the packaging issue, $2.17 a disc is a good price.
Old 07-16-08, 08:34 AM
Banned

This is a very good price, huge discount.
Old 07-16-08, 11:55 AM
Cool New Member

picked up this set last time around... didn't have any packaging issues, no scratched discs... beautiful box, don't like the dvd holders on the inside, but... eh, i don't open it all that often...

for $117, this is a great buy!
Old 07-16-08, 01:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I picked one up. I had been kicking myself for having missed the XFiles/SG1 deal at DD last year for $230. I'm going to have to get rid of the Internet to save money. LOL
Old 07-16-08, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would have killed to gotten the 10 years at this price. I already have the entire set and paid about $20 per season and thought I got a great deal. A great show.