Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

UFO - Latest batch of re-masters out this week (7/8).

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-08, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For all the other fans of the band here (and I know there are some), the latest batch of UFO re-masters just came out this week. They are...

Lights Out - features the previously unreleased bonus tracks...
"Lights Out", "Gettin' Ready", "Love To Love" and "Try Me" all recorded Live at the Roundhouse, London 1976.

Obsession - features the previously unreleased bonus tracks...
"Hot 'N' Ready" , "Pack It Up (And Go)" - both recorded Live In Columbus, Ohio 10/17/78, and "Ain't No Baby" - recorded Live in Kenogah, Wisconsin 10/14/78.

Strangers In The Night - This one only has the bonus tracks of "Hot 'N' Ready" and "Cherry", both of which were previously released on the US Expanded Edition re-release back in 1999, but were not on the original album release.

So far, I've only picked up the first two, and haven't listened to them yet. At this point, I'm a bit hesitant to pick up Strangers, only because I have the '99 EE version, and I'm not sure the upgrade would necessarily be worth it in this case. I still may just say "screw it" and buy it anyway, though. If anyone else gets it first, let me know what you think of it.
Old 07-10-08, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just three bonus tracks!?!? Why not just release whole concerts like Motorhead did on their re-masters?
Old 07-11-08, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well to be honest, I'm not really in it for the bonus tracks, so much as I am the re-mastering - which in this case is SUPERB! The folks at Rock Candy definitely know what they're doing, and having now listened to them, I can honestly say these are the best sounding release versions of these CDs I've ever heard. The bonus tracks, are just icing.
Old 07-15-08, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Sorry I just put up a post notifying these today. I did a forum search first and nothing came up.

I'm getting Lights Out .Let me know how Strangers in the Night is. If it's better than the Classic Rock series i'll have to upgrade..Again!
Old 07-15-08, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Still haven't picked up Strangers yet, but did notice that it does have two more extra bonus tracks the '99 Extended Edition. They are still the same songs ("Cherry" and "Hot 'N' Ready") - which is why I didn't immediately notice - but they are from a different night/show.
Old 07-16-08, 08:05 AM

I did pick up Lights Out yesterday at my local FYE store. I overpaid for it a bit $18, but it was one of those impulse buys that I couldn't leave the store without.
It's a vast improvement over the other release.
So now that I have Lights Out, I may have to package Force it,with Strangers in the Night at a later date. Strangers in the Night is going for $10 at Amazon
Old 07-16-08, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by JOE29
Strangers in the Night is going for $10 at Amazon
Saw that. Ordered it last thusday, got it yesterday. First time I'd ever heard it. Lives up to it's reputation.
Old 07-16-08, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That may be the way I go about getting it, too, as it will be worth the double dip at a less expensive price. I might still sell off my old ones, but for what I'd get for them these days, I might as well just keep them.
Old 07-16-08, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Still haven't picked up Strangers yet, but did notice that it does have two more extra bonus tracks the '99 Extended Edition. They are still the same songs ("Cherry" and "Hot 'N' Ready") - which is why I didn't immediately notice - but they are from a different night/show.
I'm pretty sure that the versions of Cherry and Hot 'n' Ready from the '99 EE were from a different date than the rest of the album.
Old 07-16-08, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mordred
I'm pretty sure that the versions of Cherry and Hot 'n' Ready from the '99 EE were from a different date than the rest of the album.
Unfortunately, The '99 EE doesn't specify when, or from which show those two tracks were drawn from on that release. The rest of the tracks from the original release were taken from shows recorded at The Amphitheater, Chicago, Illinois; The Gardens, Louisville, Kentucky and in Youngstown, Ohio.

**UPDATE**

So I did pick up the new re-master of Strangers, and I was incorrect in my last post about the bonus tracks for this album. I had it right the first time, in that the ONLY two bonus tracks, are the same ones from the '99 EE version. It's just the way the have them listed on the back of the package that's a bit confusing.

Anyway, onto the sound, which is the real issue I believe most are concerned with. While it's not as an immediately noticeable difference between the '99 EE version and the new one - the more you listen, the more you notice it's there. There's a bit more distinction between instruments, and overall a much cleaner, punchier sound, especially on the vocals. They also re-sequenced the timing of when some of the songs begin/end, so that there's not as much chatter at the beginning of each track.

Personally, I still think it's an improvement over the '99 EE, especially taking into consideration the artwork, packaging, and expanded liner notes. However, if you already have the EE version, and are not sure if you want to upgrade for the previously listed reasons, that version may be enough for you. If you only have the original issue, without the two bonus tracks added to the EE, or, if you've never gotten the disc at all, then the new remaster of Strangers In The Night is definitely the way to go. It's a sentiment I would conclude about all the re-mastered versions.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 07-17-08 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-19-08, 11:13 AM

The folks at Rock Candy definitely know what they're doing, and having now listened to them, I can honestly say these are the best sounding release versions of these CDs I've ever heard

I noticed that Rock Candy remastered some of Ted Nugents cd's too. Weekend Warriors, Scream Dream and I believe Double Live Gonzo. Being from Rock Candy I wonder if anyone has these remasters and if they're a big improvement over the U.S. versions.
Old 07-20-08, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JOE29
I noticed that Rock Candy remastered some of Ted Nugents cd's too. Weekend Warriors, Scream Dream and I believe Double Live Gonzo. Being from Rock Candy I wonder if anyone has these remasters and if they're a big improvement over the U.S. versions.
I don't have the Nugent discs, but having heard the originals, almost anything would be an improvement, particularly Double Live Gonzo.

I do have some of the other Rock Candy re-issues, however, and like the UFO discs, they are amazing and sonically superior to the originally released versions.
Old 07-20-08, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Rock Candy cd of Double Live Gonzo and it's definitely better than the Epic/Sony cd imho.
Old 07-20-08, 09:16 PM

I don't have the Nugent discs, but having heard the originals, almost anything would be an improvement, particularly Double Live Gonzo

I agree, I was playing Scream Dream the other day and it sounds terrible. I'll have to look into getting these from Rock Candy also. Thanks guy's.
Old 07-30-08, 01:27 PM

I just ordered Force it and Strangers in the Night Remasters today. I was able to trade in my other Strangers in the Night cd earlier last week. I still have my other Force it cd though. I also packaged them with a obscure metal band called Chariot their cd, Burning Ambition. Their first cd, Warrior was great so I found their 2nd cd cheap and picked it up. I'll post my thoughts on the UFO remasters after I hear them.