Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Nickelback signs LiveNation deal

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-08, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Canadian rock band Nickelback are the latest act to sign a global recording, touring and merchandising deal with concert promoter Live Nation.

The three-album, three-tour deal is said to be worth between $50m (£25m) and $70m (£35m), according to reports.

Madonna, Jay-Z, U2 and Shakira are some of the other major artists to sign with the company in recent months.

Nickelback, whose hit singles include Rock Star and Photograph, have sold more than 26 million albums to date.

The band, fronted by Chad Kroeger, still have two albums left to release through their current label Road Runner Records before they record any albums for Live Nation.

According to the promoter, Nickelback's last North American and Australian tour in 2006/2007 made more than $67m (£34m).

As part of the deal, Live Nation will handle all of its merchandising, licensing, sponsorship, secondary ticketing and endorsements.

It will also manage its DVD and broadcast rights, fan club, website and literary rights.

Live Nation has led the way in so-called "360-degree" deals that seek to bring top artists' activities under one roof.

However, internal disagreements over the company's strategy saw chairman Michael Cohl step down last month.
Old 07-10-08, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think this is jumping the gun a bit. U2 and Madonna are both financially sound investments as both of them have been making music for over 25 years and continue to sell records and concert tickets, and Jay-Z is a brilliant businessman even tho I am not a fan of his music. Nickelback is just a corporate rock band who got extremely lucky because they appealed to the widest market possible, but I don't see long term success. In 20 years, I doubt Nickelback will be any bigger than REO Speedwagon is now.
Old 07-10-08, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Only time will tell, I mean, they have been going strong and gaining popularity for the last 10 years... however, since they still have TWO albums left on their old contract, this seems insane to me...I'm sure they've got 2 popular albums left in them but beyond that, I'm not so sure.