Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Onkyo 606 Question - Newbie here

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-08, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Ok, I'm a newbie when it comes to the Onkyo receiver (my previous receiver is a Kenwood that is 10 years old). Anyway, I bought the Onkyo 606 today and was wondering how having one HDMI output works.

Currently, I have my LG BH200 and my Comcast HD DVR connected via HDMI to my Toshiba LCD television and using optical cables to my Kenwood receiver for each. How does this work with the Onkyo receiver with one HDMI output? Meaning, will I have to turn off my cable box if I want to watch a movie? Also, I'm assuming I will have to connect other cables from each to get audio, correct? See, I don't want to use my receiver to watch a TV program and sometimes if I'm watching a DVD, I just want to use my TV speakers...

This may be a dumb question, but this is kind of new territory for me.

Those with the 606 and multiple connections, what do you do?

Last edited by TheMovieman; 07-08-08 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-08-08, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're going to need the receiver on if you want video or audio. Otherwise you're going to need to get creative with the wiring.

You don't need to turn anything off. The Onkyo has plenty of HDMI inputs, so you'd hit DVD for DVDs and CBL/SAT for watching TV...

Why would you want to just use the TV speakers? I never quite get that when I hear a question like this. Unless you want to save power or something.
Old 07-08-08, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Currently, I have my LG BH200 and my Comcast HD DVR connected via HDMI to my Toshiba LCD television and using optical cables to my Kenwood receiver for each. How does this work with the Onkyo receiver with one HDMI output?
Connect the LG BH200 and Comcast HD DVR to the Onkyo's inputs with HDMI cables and run a single HDMI cable from the Onkyo's HDMI output to your TV.

Meaning, will I have to turn off my cable box if I want to watch a movie?
No.

Also, I'm assuming I will have to connect other cables from each to get audio, correct?
No. HDMI carries digital audio signals. No need for those optical cables anymore.

See, I don't want to use my receiver to watch a TV program and sometimes if I'm watching a DVD, I just want to use my TV speakers...
Well, you're being difficult!
Old 07-08-08, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey

Why would you want to just use the TV speakers? I never quite get that when I hear a question like this. Unless you want to save power or something.
In the case of TV programming, because it usually sounds like crap. I don't want my local news blaring, lol.

Reading the manual, there is a way to turn off the surround sound speakers and switch to the TV ones, but I think I'll just use an optical connection for my cable box like I have it set now (read below as to why). I really got this for my Blu-ray/HD DVD player anyway (which I really only use).

Mr. Salty:

I know HDMI carries both audio and video, what I meant was I didn't want to have to turn on my receiver just to watch some TV. And the problem here is, even with the ability to switch the surround sound off, that means the receiver will still have to be on. It adds a step I didn't want to have when I get up in the morning, and something to teach others who use it... If it were just me, I guess I could live and get used to it.

Last edited by TheMovieman; 07-08-08 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-09-08, 01:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't even bother hooking my cable box up to my receiver. I save the surround sound for dvd movies. Most stuff on cable sounds like crap through good speakers anyway.
Old 07-09-08, 09:39 AM

Ok, I'm a newbie when it comes to the Onkyo receiver (my previous receiver is a Kenwood that is 10 years old). Anyway, I bought the Onkyo 606 today and was wondering how having one HDMI output works.

Currently, I have my LG BH200 and my Comcast HD DVR connected via HDMI to my Toshiba LCD television and using optical cables to my Kenwood receiver for each. How does this work with the Onkyo receiver with one HDMI output? Meaning, will I have to turn off my cable box if I want to watch a movie? Also, I'm assuming I will have to connect other cables from each to get audio, correct? See, I don't want to use my receiver to watch a TV program and sometimes if I'm watching a DVD, I just want to use my TV speakers...

This may be a dumb question, but this is kind of new territory for me.

Those with the 606 and multiple connections, what do you do?
Movieman well here is what I do. First off I have Dish HD VIP722 DVR and A Denon 3808 Receiver . I run my HDMI from the DVR to the 3808 and a Component Cable from my DVR to the TV.
I feel you on why you want to do this. My G/F and or Kids sometimes don't want to watch TV with the Receiver on. I to don't use the Receiver when the kids go to sleep,so it's a benefit to hook it up this way I'm just glad the DVR has both outputs on simultaneously
As far as the DVD player, I'm not sure I never tried that. I almost always use the Receiver for this and on the rare occasion I don't, I just put the Receiver on night mode.
Old 07-09-08, 10:02 AM
Suspended

See, I don't want to use my receiver to watch a TV program and sometimes if I'm watching a DVD, I just want to use my TV speakers...
:slap:

Why would you ever want to do that? If it gets too loud at night for example, use the night feature on the 606 that turns all of the bass off.
Old 07-09-08, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
:slap:

Why would you ever want to do that? If it gets too loud at night for example, use the night feature on the 606 that turns all of the bass off.
Haha. Well, there's sometimes I don't want to use my surround sound of things like TV series on DVD that don't have the best audio track. But in regards to watching DVDs with the TV speakers, there is a setting I can enable that will send the audio to my TV speakers, so no big deal there...

And thanks SUPERMANROB, I might give that a try.

Also thanks to everyone, I appreciate the advice
Old 07-09-08, 02:06 PM
Suspended

Haha. Well, there's sometimes I don't want to use my surround sound of things like TV series on DVD that don't have the best audio track. But in regards to watching DVDs with the TV speakers, there is a setting I can enable that will send the audio to my TV speakers, so no big deal there...

And thanks SUPERMANROB, I might give that a try.

Also thanks to everyone, I appreciate the advice
Switching modes on your receiver should more than makeup for the bad audio tracks on the DVDs.
Old 07-09-08, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 606. For all sources other than DD, DTS and all the lossless Blu-Ray and HD DVD tracks I use the Dolby Pro Logic II listening mode. I never use my TV speakers.

Last edited by movielib; 07-10-08 at 12:07 AM.
Old 07-09-08, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

movielib, I do have one question: how's the heat on it? I've read that it can get very hot and was curious if you ever had issues.

BTW, where this is going isn't entirely enclosed but there isn't the suggested 8" on top (maybe 5") and not much space behind. Both sides are open, however.

Last edited by TheMovieman; 07-09-08 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-09-08, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

movielib, I do have one question: how's the heat on it? I've read that it can get very hot and was curious if you ever had issues.

BTW, where this is going isn't entirely enclosed but there isn't the suggested 8" on top (maybe 5") and not much space behind. Both sides are open, however.
It gets a little warm, not really hot. I think there was more of a problem with the 605. You should be fine.
Old 07-09-08, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movielib
It gets a little warm, not really hot. I think there was more of a problem with the 605. You should be fine.
Great, thanks
Old 07-09-08, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Switching modes on your receiver should more than makeup for the bad audio tracks on the DVDs.
Yes, much easier to make it better with a decent receiver than with TV speakers. Use the receiver. Always.
Old 07-09-08, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky
Yes, much easier to make it better with a decent receiver than with TV speakers. Use the receiver. Always.
Yes.

Audyssey calibration + Late Night Mode = far less turning the volume up and down and up while watching something.

I personally use All Channel Stereo for 2-channel sources during the day as my daylight viewing device (37" LCD) is not positioned right with the speakers (it sits near the left surround speaker).
Old 07-10-08, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You guys are missing the point. If it were just me, I could get used to it. But for the other person in the house, it will not fly to have to turn on the receiver everytime (plus explain how to make the adjustments). Like I said, I don't mind using the TV speakers for generally TV watching. All I wanted this for was for my movies which I am the only one who really uses the player anyway...
Old 07-10-08, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You guys are missing the point. If it were just me, I could get used to it. But for the other person in the house, it will not fly to have to turn on the receiver everytime (plus explain how to make the adjustments). Like I said, I don't mind using the TV speakers for generally TV watching. All I wanted this for was for my movies which I am the only one who really uses the player anyway...
I'm not sure what you mean by making adjustments. Every setting for every source can be preset. Granted, I have a Logitech Harmony remote that automatically turns on the receiver with the right input for each source but at most you'd just have to write down which single button to press on the remote for each source once you have it set up. Those inputs are clearly labeled on the remote and on the receiver.

Turn on TV, turn on source, turn on receiver, press [input] button.
Old 07-10-08, 08:43 AM
Suspended

Sounds like your problem is that you don't have a Harmony remote. Believe me and everyone else when they say how much they help the WAF (wife acceptablilty factor)

Get one, seriously.
Old 07-10-08, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sounds like your problem is that you don't have a Harmony remote. Believe me and everyone else when they say how much they help the WAF (wife acceptablilty factor)

Get one, seriously.
My wife is always circumventing the Harmony by pressing the buttons on the receiver I think I use it more than her.

It's much easier to press one button on the receiver than to be constantly changing inputs on the TV.
Old 07-10-08, 09:05 PM

Instead of making a new topic, I thought I would post on this one. I also bought a 606 which came in today (upgraded from the much older 600 6.1 receiver) and I have it set up with all 4 HDMI inputs filled. however, I also wanted to hook up my Wii through a component input... Which I did with success... The video shows up, but there is no sound. I have the sound hooked up through the RCA jacks for DVD... and the component video cables are going through the In 1 (dvd) as well... Just curious as to why no sound is coming out.
UPDATE:
Nevermind, I looked behind the receiver and had the audio plugged in the wrong input.. GEESH!

Last edited by Natedogg; 07-12-08 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-12-08, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Don't want to turn this into a Harmony love fest, but of the time, effort and expense I put into my full media room (see sig), my would would not even go in the room unless I was there to turn things on. On my very tight budget I ended up getting an 880 and paid full price for it (roughly $145). It is by far the best investment in the entire room from a total family standpoint.

Not only does my wife not hesitate to go in there, but my young daughter as well.

Even thu it has been working fine for me for 2 yearrs, I'm seriously considering upgrading to the Harmony One. Great remotes
Old 07-12-08, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
My wife is always circumventing the Harmony by pressing the buttons on the receiver I think I use it more than her.

It's much easier to press one button on the receiver than to be constantly changing inputs on the TV.
Um, it doesn't sound right. Why would she mess with the receiver if she has a Harmony remote? Maybe you should lock up the receiver.
Old 07-17-08, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
New question,,,,

Is there a way to get the 606 to automatically detect when you turn on one of the video components connected to it and then the 606 just switchs automatically to that input, like some system selectors can do?
Old 07-18-08, 08:48 AM
Suspended

not that I am aware of.

I wouldn't want that anyway, as I never turn my cable box off for example.
Old 07-18-08, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by andy434343
Is there a way to get the 606 to automatically detect when you turn on one of the video components connected to it and then the 606 just switchs automatically to that input, like some system selectors can do?
You can program a Logitech Harmony remote to do it when starting up any component.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.