Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

L'Enfance-nue (UK)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-08, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
L'Enfance-nue (UK)

And one more great Pialat title from Masters of Cinema set to be released on September 22 in the UK.

MOC:

One of the earth-shaking feature debuts in the history of cinema, Maurice Pialat’s L’Enfance-nue [Naked-Childhood] provides a perspective on growing-up that rejects both sentimentality and modish cynicism. Its unflinching, but also warmly accommodating, outlook on childhood attracted François Truffaut to take on the role as co-producer of Pialat’s film — which, ironically, exists as much as a response to Truffaut’s own debut The 400 Blows as that film was to the ‘cinema of childhood’ that came before the New Wave.

First-time actor Michel Tarrazon plays the young François, a provincial orphan whose destructive behaviour precipitates his relocation from the home of a long-term foster family to the care of a benevolent elderly couple. In the course of this transition, Pialat’s film presents the turbulence of François’s unmoored existence, and his explosive reactions to the contradictory emotions it engenders. This is the naked portrait of a soul’s — and an entire society’s — dysfunction, before the moment of reconciliation.

L’Enfance-nue represents the ideal introduction to the films of Maurice Pialat — an artist whose work resides alongside that of Jean Eustache and Philippe Garrel at the summit of the post-New Wave French cinema. One discovers in his pictures a raw and complicated emotional core which, as in the films of John Cassavetes, reveals upon closer examination a remarkably rigorous visual aesthetic, and a facility of direction which lifts both seasoned actors and debut amateurs to the level of greatness. Coupled here with Pialat’s poetic and brilliant early short L’Amour existe [Love Exists, 1960], L’Enfance-nue is the first masterpiece of an artist whose work has had an incalculable influence on contemporary directors as diverse as Bruno Dumont, Olivier Assayas, Michael Haneke, and the Dardenne brothers, among others — and whose 2003 passing led Gilles Jacob, president of the Festival de Cannes, to declare: “Pialat is dead and we are all orphaned. French cinema is orphaned.” The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present Maurice Pialat’s 1968 debut feature film in a magnificent restored transfer for the first time on home video in the UK.
Special Features:
2-DISC EDITION:

• New anamorphic transfer of the film in its original aspect ratio

• New and improved English subtitle translations

• L’AMOUR EXISTE [LOVE EXISTS] (1960) — Maurice Pialat’s poetic 19-minute film about life in the Paris banlieues

• 2003 video interview with co-screenwriter Arlette Langmann, conducted by former Cahiers du cinéma editor-in-chief, and current director of the Cinémathèque Française, Serge Toubiana

• 32-minute 1973 interview with Maurice Pialat, from the programme Champ contre-champ

• CHOSES VUES AUTOUR DE L’ENFANCE NUE [THINGS SEEN AROUND L’ENFANCE NUE] (1969) — 50-minute documentary by Roger Stéphane shot in the course of L’Enfance-nue’s production, examining Pialat’s film-in-progress and the plight of foster children

• 2005 video interview with Michel Tarrazon, the star of L’Enfance-nue

• The film’s original trailer, along with trailers for other Maurice Pialat films to be released by The Masters of Cinema Series

• 40-page booklet containing a new essay by critic and filmmaker Kent Jones, and newly translated interviews with Maurice Pialat.
Pro-B
Old 08-29-08, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DVD Beaver review. Looks like yet another winner from MoC. The six trailers on the disc give us an idea of future MoC Pialat releases:

Nous ne vieillirons pas ensemble (We Won't Grow Old Together)
Gueule ouverte (The Mouth Agape)
Passe ton bac d'abord (Graduate First)
A nos amours
Police (already announced)
Sous le soleil de Satan (Under the Sun of Satan).

Last edited by NoirFan; 08-29-08 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-29-08, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What's the likelihood that Criterion will release this soon? Not very?
Old 08-30-08, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by NoirFan
DVD Beaver review. Looks like yet another winner from MoC. The six trailers on the disc give us an idea of future MoC Pialat releases:
I agree. Many years ago I saw this film overseas and it is indeed one of Pialat's best. And this does look like an exceptional package.

Pro-B
Old 08-30-08, 09:46 AM

I'll probably skip on MoC's A nos amours...since I own the Criterion, and the extras are likely identical.

But I own and love all three currently released Pialat films (that, plus Van Gogh and Loulou). Judging from those three films, this great exposure to Pialat might be the best thing MoC has done so far, so I definitely intend to get the rest that MoC is putting out. I'm hoping all of them are two disc sets as well; to think I would have settled for an Eclipse set!

Bravo to Criterion for getting me into this director; bravo MoC for almost completing his output. Once all seven of these are released, the only Pialat films without high quality English friendly DVD releases will be his six hour miniseries Le Maison des Bois, and his final film Le Garcu.
Old 09-07-08, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Trailer (in French):

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hWSLn0Eqx8g&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hWSLn0Eqx8g&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

How many films include a scene of a group of young boys torturing a cat? That could be a thread in and of itself.
Old 09-15-08, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DVD Times