Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What's The Next CD You Plan On Buying?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-08, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just curious...
Old 06-27-08, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
Beck - Modern Guilt
Old 06-27-08, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

david bowie - live santa monica '72
Old 06-27-08, 08:24 PM

where do you guys normally get your cds from? I've been going through amazon A LOT lately. I was going to order a Japanese version of KT Tunstall's Eye to the Telescope and Texas' Greatest Hits through one of their 3rd-party sellers but I decided to wait.

Hollowgen have you been out to Shelton? I lived there for a few years when I was younger.
Old 06-27-08, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still get most of mine through good old brick & mortar music stores, whether they be local or a chain. It usually depends on whose got the best price, and/or where I've got store credit (from selling back CDs).

But if you're doing your shopping online, you should check out...

CDUniverse.com

..which I find to have better prices and faster shipping than Amazon. They also carry imports, too.

And if you're more specifically looking for imports, you may want to check out...

CD Wow!

...Their shipping takes a bit longer, but it's also FREE. They also have great prices. I just got the latest Feeder album - Silent Cry - from them for nearly half as much as it would have cost me to buy anywhere else I looked. It was well worth the extra 4 or so days it took to get it, considering.

BTW - I saw in another post you were using ImportCDs second party via Amazon. In case you didn't know, you can eliminate the middleman, and buy from them directly from their own site - importcds.com.
Old 06-27-08, 11:14 PM

hey rocketdog thanks for the reply. I have ordered one cd from CDuniverse and that was a pre-order for the UK version of Viva La Vida. I was surprised that they never shipped it out on the 17th, but that is because it was on backorder. It actually just shipped out today! I have heard a couple people mention cdwow but I have not ordered anything from them.
As for importcds.com, I find that they seem to have a little bit lower prices when you order through amazon. I also heard that their service when ordering directly from them is NOT GOOD at all. This was just one particular thread on one message board so this may not be the norm, but from what people were saying, they're much better when you use them going through amazon.
I actually received 3 cds from them just yesterday but I was expecting 4. I am still waiting for a Japanese edition of Jay-Z's Black Album. And I just got done watching his Fade to Black DVD and now I'm really wishing it had come. Maybe a mixup in the post office...
Where are you from rocketdog?
Old 06-27-08, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Extreme - Saudades de Rock on 8/12
Old 06-27-08, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Beck - Modern Guilt
Me First and the Gimme Gimmies - Have Another Ball

Both come out on the 8th of July.
Old 06-27-08, 11:42 PM

that's cool you guys like to go pick up the new releases on the day they come out. I buy new DVDs when they come out whenever there's something I like, but Viva La Vida was the first time I ever bought a cd on its release date.
Old 06-28-08, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Alkaline Trio - Agony & Irony
The Hold Steady - Stay Positive
The Gaslight Anthem - The '59 Sound

Last edited by slymer; 06-28-08 at 12:15 AM.
Old 06-28-08, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by civiclx
that's cool you guys like to go pick up the new releases on the day they come out. I buy new DVDs when they come out whenever there's something I like, but Viva La Vida was the first time I ever bought a cd on its release date.
Yeah, those are the ones I plan on buying. I can guarantee that those won't be the next CDs that I will buy. Meaning there'll be some bought before the 8th, I just don't know what yet. But, I will read a new review, or hear a song on a podcast, or hear something mentioned in passing about a CD I must have now. In fact, this will likely happen 2 or 3 times between now and the 8th.
Old 06-28-08, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I pick up new stuff all the time. The ones I've listed are just my most anticipated of the summer.
Old 06-28-08, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Tomorrow I plan on buying Propeller by Guided by Voices.
Old 06-28-08, 12:35 AM

Elton John, Rock of the Westies sometime next week.
Old 06-28-08, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by slymer
Alkaline Trio - Agony & Irony
The Hold Steady - Stay Positive
The Gaslight Anthem - The '59 Sound
I think I'm in love.
Old 06-28-08, 12:52 AM

man I haven't heard of hardly any of the artists you guys mentioned.

Tscott, I think you might just be addicted to buying cds like I am. I got my first ipod about 9 months ago and discovered the wonderful world of itunes (i like it anyway) anyway, I think I'm done buying cds. no more spending 12 or 13 bucks on a cd with only 2 songs that I like. this used to not bother me but times are a changing...i.e. I'm just getting stingy!
well I don't know what happened but I bought a couple of cds to really feel like I was supporting the artist and it just snowballed. I've bought about 30 cds from amazon in the last couple of months.
now i'm getting into the whole import thing and that's made things even worse lol
Old 06-28-08, 01:13 AM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts
The new AC/DC hopefully sometime this year.
Old 06-28-08, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

hey rocketdog thanks for the reply. I have ordered one cd from CDuniverse and that was a pre-order for the UK version of Viva La Vida. I was surprised that they never shipped it out on the 17th, but that is because it was on backorder. It actually just shipped out today! I have heard a couple people mention cdwow but I have not ordered anything from them.
As for importcds.com, I find that they seem to have a little bit lower prices when you order through amazon. I also heard that their service when ordering directly from them is NOT GOOD at all. This was just one particular thread on one message board so this may not be the norm, but from what people were saying, they're much better when you use them going through amazon.
I actually received 3 cds from them just yesterday but I was expecting 4. I am still waiting for a Japanese edition of Jay-Z's Black Album. And I just got done watching his Fade to Black DVD and now I'm really wishing it had come. Maybe a mixup in the post office...
Where are you from rocketdog?

From - that's a long story. Currently residing in Maine, though.
Old 06-28-08, 02:35 AM

man I haven't heard of hardly any of the artists you guys mentioned.

Tscott, I think you might just be addicted to buying cds like I am. I got my first ipod about 9 months ago and discovered the wonderful world of itunes (i like it anyway) anyway, I think I'm done buying cds. no more spending 12 or 13 bucks on a cd with only 2 songs that I like. this used to not bother me but times are a changing...i.e. I'm just getting stingy!
well I don't know what happened but I bought a couple of cds to really feel like I was supporting the artist and it just snowballed. I've bought about 30 cds from amazon in the last couple of months.
now i'm getting into the whole import thing and that's made things even worse lol
I've been buying CDs for 20 years now and I'm only eight CDs shy of 2500 (that doesn't include album downloads, which are becoming more and more frequent). That's not addicted... is it?

Anyway, I use Itunes with my Ipod, but avoid downloading from the store if I can help it. eMusic or Amazon is how I roll. And I'm strictly an "albums" kind of guy- no picking only a couple of tracks from an artist. Though most of my purchases aren't the kind that are just looking for 2 or 3 radio hits.
Old 06-28-08, 02:54 AM

haven't been to Maine but I would love to go there someday. I think the closest I've been is New York but that was just Manhattan for the US Open in '05

Tscott you are addicted and I believe you need to check yourself into rehab right away! I'll be in a room right next to you lol
i really like itunes because of the simplicity but I have used amazon and emusic as well. actually, i've been getting charged the $15 a month or whatever it is from emusic and I haven't bought anything from them in about 6 months maybe. I wish they had more mainstream artists.
I used to buy cds based on the radio/MTV/BET hits but now I'm looking for some really complete and solid albums. Some of my favorites are Hootie's Cracked Rear View, The Essential Billy Joel, Bow Down from Westside Connection, and Real World from the Young Dubliners.
Here are some of the cds that I just received from amazon and importcds yesterday

Old 06-28-08, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Cyndi Lauper -Bring Ya to the Brink
Chante Moore - Love the Woman
Mary J Blige - Growing Pains

There's not much pop & r&B love here but that's fine.

Last edited by big whoppa; 06-28-08 at 04:04 AM.
Old 06-28-08, 04:25 AM

hey I like pop and R&B. I'm kind of starting to like a little bit of most everything. I was real into hip hop and R&B for awhile but I'm starting to shift more towards pop and rock.
I did replace a copy of Blackstreet's Another Level not too long ago though. any suggestions on albums I should be checking for big whoopa?
Old 06-28-08, 07:53 AM

Misery Signals: Controller
Clutch: Live CD/DVD
Old 06-28-08, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The new Old 97s

Also, Bed, Bed, Bed, and No! by TMBG, You know, for the kids!
Old 06-28-08, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I got the new Motley Crue yesterday. I had that 10 off 50 coupon for Best Buy and needed to spend 5.01 more to use it.
I don't really keep up with new bands/music, so I don't really have any "plans" to buy CDs, I'm not waiting for release dates, etc.
Depending on pricing, I'll buy from Amazon, Deep Discount, Best Buy, or the band's website. Of course I've only bought three CDs for myself in the past year so I'm not exactly the target demographic.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.