Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

God, I Hate Enviornmental Packaging of CDs!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-08, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,299 Likes on 4,308 Posts

Look, I respect the Green movement. Still, a CD is designed to be something that's kept or shared. Why do I have to get a nice CD like Jack Johnson's or Coldplay's new album in a piece of crap piece of cardboard that won't last, will get lost in my CD rack, and will end up scratching up the CD? Are the landfills really filling up with CD cases? Really?

I admire the nod towards the environment (and Jack Johnson actually recorded his album using only solar power ), but c'mon give me a nice case if I'm paying $10 for your new album. I don't need another reason to NOT buy CDs anymore.
Old 06-26-08, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Preach on, brother!

I enjoy having a nice jewel case to store them in when not in use.
Old 06-26-08, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I picked up a DVD recently in an environmentally friendly case -- it feels more like hard rubber than plastic, and has a cut out on the inside depicting the recycling symbol. Why? I have no intention of throwing the case away.
Old 06-26-08, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
I bet you drive a gas guzzler too...
Old 06-26-08, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn republican! GLOBAL WARMING! AL GORE! POLAR ICE CAPS! THE DOLPHINS!

I hear you man, these slender paper cases just don't cut it, unless they're awesomely designed like the NIN releases.
Old 06-26-08, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by DaveWadding
I bet you drive a gas guzzler too...

EPA estimate 17 City / 24 Hwy. Just bought it.

I feel like an idiot for not getting a hybrid with gas as expensive as it is. Still, it's freakin' awesome, takes off like a rocket and has full ipod integration, so what you gonna do?
Old 06-26-08, 01:59 AM

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker

EPA estimate 17 City / 24 Hwy. Just bought it.

I feel like an idiot for not getting a hybrid with gas as expensive as it is. Still, it's freakin' awesome, takes off like a rocket and has full ipod integration, so what you gonna do?

trade it in for a Prius... :P
Old 06-26-08, 02:20 AM
Cool New Member

Completely agree. Jewel case or GTFO.
Old 06-26-08, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 920 Likes on 653 Posts
I hate 'em too. Didn't Pearl Jam start this trend?
Old 06-26-08, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,125 Likes on 689 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I hate 'em too. Didn't Pearl Jam start this trend?
They did one of the first "Digipaks" that I remember since I was working in a music store at the time. It was for Vs.

I still have the promo copy we got for the store. I am sure there were ones done before that one but it seemed like it was one of the first mass produced for a big release.
Old 06-26-08, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Glad someone finally brought this up! I've been bothered for a long time by these crappy cases! My biggest compalint is if it "breaks" (rips, dents, etc.), you're basically screwed. At least you could replace a jewel case. Why does it seem like as much complaining as the music industry does, it's constantly shooting itself in the foot?
Old 06-26-08, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I actually like digipaks a lot more. I mean ones like the one Electr-O-Pura and Vitalogy came in.
Old 06-26-08, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by The Bus
I actually like digipaks a lot more. I mean ones like the one Electr-O-Pura and Vitalogy came in.
They're not my favorite sort of packaging ( I have a couple of digipaks with broken plastic in the spindle and the cd will fall out on the floor when I take the cd case off the shelf), but at least they have some thickness and a spindle for the CD. Those paper sleeve get totally lost in a cd rack and repeated use causes the CD to get scratched to hell.

The digipak isn't biodegradable, but again : who cares? It isn't a carton of milk -- I'm not tossing it out. If they really wanted a biodegradable case, I actually got a cool one for "Mad Season" by matchbook twenty. It was bound like a children's picture book and the CD sat on a spindle. I think Beck may have had an album packaged that was as well.
That sort of packaging I could live with. The cardboard sleeve (and the horrible paper/foam abomination that Universal is putting some catalog titles in) has gotta go.

Last edited by Decker; 06-26-08 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-26-08, 10:05 AM

Look, I respect the Green movement. Still, a CD is designed to be something that's kept or shared. Why do I have to get a nice CD like Jack Johnson's or Coldplay's new album in a piece of crap piece of cardboard that won't last, will get lost in my CD rack, and will end up scratching up the CD? Are the landfills really filling up with CD cases? Really?

I admire the nod towards the environment (and Jack Johnson actually recorded his album using only solar power ), but c'mon give me a nice case if I'm paying $10 for your new album. I don't need another reason to NOT buy CDs anymore.
agree 100%

thats the reason i dont own some dvds/cds
Old 06-26-08, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't think it's so much for the durability for the end user for the numerous costs of production. The plastic used in the jewel cases comes (I'm pretty sure) from petroleum, and we all know that's not getting any cheaper.

I think Radiohead had it right with "In Rainbows" since it had the pieces there to make a nice jewel case. After all, who doesn't have a few extra jewel cases lying around? And if you don't, you can certainly find them around.
Old 06-26-08, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Vitalogy wasn't a digipak... it was a cardboard sleeve that was attached to the back of the 'booklet' packaging. Digipak's have a plastic CD holder inside the cardboard package (at least as far as my understanding of digipak)... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digipak

I too dislike these sleeve releases...my In Between Dreams by Jack Johnson got a few scratches just from the regular in/out of using it's cardboard case. (It was an extremely tight fit) It does seem like a lot of artists are using this or digipak's now though, this past month I bought like 5 cd's that are all in this type of packaging!

Last edited by mdc3000; 06-26-08 at 11:10 AM.
Old 06-26-08, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Packaging rarely bothers me since I don't pay attention to it anymore. I buy the CD, store the packaging somewhere, rip the CD to my computer, and store the CD. More often than not if I need to listen to it (to put in a car, etc.) I simply burn a new CD with the tracks I want to listen to and/or extra tracks.
Old 06-26-08, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with the digipack hate. Awhile back, I sold some cd's off that were basically gathering dust, and one digipack cd that I literally listened to twice was too scratched up for the guy to take, and the guy had no problem taking some cd's in standard cases that I played countless times.
Old 06-26-08, 12:07 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by reubs82
I don't think it's so much for the durability for the end user for the numerous costs of production.
That's what I thought as well - cheap cardboard packaging was more about cutting production costs than about any actual environmental issues.
Old 06-26-08, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If this topic were about DVDs, I'd be fully on-board. But I've gotten to the point to where I buy a CD, rip it, transfer it to my iPod and then store the CD and case in a storage bin. The only CDs I keep out are the ones with DVDs included or my DVD-Audios and SA-CDs.

So...I'm not really giving a crap about the fact that they're using cardboard cases now. I appreciate the fact that I don't have to mess around with the stupid stickers that were surgically glued to the plastic cases.
Old 06-26-08, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by sb5
That's what I thought as well - cheap cardboard packaging was more about cutting production costs than about any actual environmental issues.
Nope, they're desidned to be biodegradable

When Universal Music Enterprises (UMe), a unit of Universal Music Group, the world's largest music company, releases its next wave of CDs in The Millennium Collection series, spanning more than 60 renowned artists, the standard package (both sleeve and tray) will be completely paper-recyclable for the first time in the music industry. A major new step in providing environmentally friendly packaging, the initiative continues the company's long-standing commitment to being "green."

UMe is the first North American music company to replace the traditional jewel case with recycled paperboard sleeves and the plastic tray with trays made from PaperFoam®, a new packaging technology from Shorewood Packaging, a business of International Paper, that is paper-recyclable and biodegradable. Shorewood Packaging is the first North American packaging supplier to produce disc trays from PaperFoam®. In addition, while the CDs in The Millennium Collection, the best-selling single-artist "best of" series in music history, will feature a four-panel card, the typical eight-page booklet will be available only by download from the UMe site www.ilovethatsong.com/green . Newly packaged The Millennium Collection CDs will be exclusively available at Wal-Mart for three months before their release in 2007 to all retailers.

"Looking at the way today's consumers are storing their music, which is often without the jewel box, Wal-Mart and other retailer's focus on sustainability, the move to this packaging made total sense," said Michael Davis, Executive VP and General Manager, UMe. "The result is a completely repackaged CD that's good for the planet and good for the consumer."

Among the artists whose The Millennium Collection albums will be repackaged are Lynyrd Skynyrd, Eric Clapton, Toby Keith, The Who, Jimi Hendrix, Johnny Cash, KISS, Barry White, Four Tops, Buddy Holly, Cher, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, Boyz II Men, George Strait, ABBA, Rod Stewart and Neil Diamond. The first new The Millennium Collection release to boast the new packaging, "The Best Of Rob Zombie," debuted on October 10, 2006.

PaperFoam® was developed by PaperForm B.V., a Netherlands-based company, and is manufactured in a patented, one-step injection molded process using a starch-based fiber material. PaperFoam® is available in various colors, can be embossed and printed and provides excellent dust-free, scratch-free product protection.

Last edited by Decker; 06-26-08 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-26-08, 05:51 PM

Nope, they're desidned to be biodegradable
Well of course that is what they are going to tell the public. But if it won't make/save them money in some way then they wouldn't do it.
Old 06-26-08, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by C-Mart
Well of course that is what they are going to tell the public. But if it won't make/save them money in some way then they wouldn't do it.
Oh, I see what you're saying. I thought you ment their concern was the enviornmental issues of making jewel cases and not the biodegradable aspect. Yes, I think the real driving force behind the packaging is that it must be a lot cheaper to make. A downloadable booklet? Give me a break!

When you think about it, it's much more eco-friendly to rip your friend's cds to your ipod, but you'll never hear the executives encourage that sort of thing.
Old 06-26-08, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
They did one of the first "Digipaks" that I remember since I was working in a music store at the time. It was for Vs.

I still have the promo copy we got for the store. I am sure there were ones done before that one but it seemed like it was one of the first mass produced for a big release.
You're mostly right, but the first ones done for mass production were actually INXS - Welcome To Wherever You Are and the second Deee-Lite album - Infinity Within - both in '92 a full year before VS., although it did use the same style packaging. I worked in a music store then, too, and recall it pretty well.

In fact, the thing with these ones, too, as almost ALL other CD's in the US still came in longboxes then, was that you actually had to slide and fold them to assemble the actual disc sized package. Wish I had some pics to show you guys, but no luck. Of course a year later, the industry did away with long boxes, so all the new Digipacks came pre-assembled, and then they improved upon the design.

Anybody who knows me, knows I have zero love for Digipacks, too. Yeah I get that they are supposedly better for the environment - but like other posters, I want something that's really going to protect the disc. Most real collectors aren't going to be throwing the jewel case away. Digipacks rip, tear and wear far too easy for my tastes. The only reason I buy them is if I have no other choice. Sometimes I'll even wait to buy a CD, because I've found that 3 to 6 months after the Digipack version is initially released, the album will then come out in a jewel case version anyway.
Old 06-26-08, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 920 Likes on 653 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
You're mostly right, but the first ones done for mass production were actually INXS - Welcome To Wherever You Are and the second Deee-Lite album - Infinity Within - both in '92 a full year before VS., although it did use the same style packaging. I worked in a music store then, too, and recall it pretty well.
Cool, but how popular were those two albums? Did their bands lead the charge for the digipak and cardboard revolution? Vs. followed by Vitalogy were monumental sellers which got the consumer used to the idea.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.