Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Will Smith - I can't stand this egomaniac, am I alone?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-25-08, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Throughout his career, I've tolerated this guy. I like Men in Black. Thought he was pretty good in Ali...playing a guy who had the biggest ego of all time. Big stretch for him.

But now I just can't take this guy anymore.

I've heard stories about him before. One being from the Wild Wild West shoot. Will Smith had a funny line that he couldn't get it right. Kevin Kline did the same line and nailed it. Smith went crazy and demanded his line be the one they used in the movie.

Just recently, he was interview by A.J. Calloway on Extra. A.J. is a pretty good looking black guy. You wouldn't believe how Will was trying to make himself a bad ass in this interview. Kept trying to make this guy feel small by calling him "kid" and "son".

Then he has to jump in on Charlize Theron's interview. Does this guy need anymore face time? Geez.

The guy just reeks of fakeness to me. Unfortunately, it looks like his kids are going to have an equal if not greater ego then he has.
Old 06-25-08, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know much about his off screen persona, but I do like most of his roles.
Old 06-25-08, 10:27 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by runnersdialzero
I've heard stories about him before. One being from the Wild Wild West shoot. Will Smith had a funny line that he couldn't get it right. Kevin Kline did the same line and nailed it. Smith went crazy and demanded his line be the one they used in the movie.
Well, I can say that this story is 100% false, because there were no funny lines in that movie.
Old 06-25-08, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
You're not alone, but you're definitely in the minority.
He's a huge draw at the box office, apparently.
Old 06-25-08, 10:29 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
You may be alone on this.
Old 06-25-08, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Will Smith comes across as a guy I could have a beer and a laugh with. If thats true or not, i'm most likely never know. Who gives a shit anyways.
Old 06-25-08, 10:41 AM

I hear what you're saying.

I mean, I get why he's one of the biggest actors in the world. He chooses roles that fits him perfectly. But you won't ever see him take a Tom Cruise in Magnolia or Brad Pitt in Snatch kind of roles. Ever since ID4, I don't think he's done one movie where he wasn't the leading actor.

I'm not saying he doesn't have personality in spades or isn't a funny guy but the guy irks me for some reason. And I'm just tired of his "I'm the best guy and Dad" act.
Old 06-25-08, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think you're entirely alone - I know some people that can't stand him, but personally, he's the only actor besides Shia LaBeouf I'll see anything he stars in.

The crappiest movie could star Will Smith and still have it remotely watchable.
Old 06-25-08, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
I like Will Smith, but like most Hollywood actors, once they start buying into their hype, they start to get annoying. They start off early in their careers always humble in interviews, but lately I noticed him being all full of himself like he is some great method actor.

He is a nice guy, very likeable, but he is not some actor with great range, and he is more along the lines of a Julia Roberts-type. They sell loads of tickets at the box office, but they are very overrated when it comes to acting.
Old 06-25-08, 10:53 AM
Suspended

i have hated a lot of his movies.. I Robot and Hitch come to mind..

but he's also great sometimes.

Six Degrees Of Separation is a great move that he completely pwns.

also just saw I Am Legend and was surprised how good it was, since i had semi-low expectations for it.

even though he's hit or miss for movies, he will always be a legend for

Old 06-25-08, 11:07 AM

Hitch is one of the worst movies ever.

I Robot I actually would have liked if he wasn't in it.
Old 06-25-08, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Seems like a decent guy in real life (of course, the bar is pretty low for Hollywood). But I actually don't care for the Will Smith onscreen persona too much... I like him better when he gets away from that. (Ali, Pursuit of Happiness, etc) I certainly won't see just anything he's in.. Hancock for one.

Good Lord his comments on Obama were pathetic the other day as well... nothing of substance.
Old 06-25-08, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Never will understand why people care about what actors do or say, who have no effect on their personal lives. I understand if you had a run in with the guy, but why care if you never ever cross paths?
Old 06-25-08, 11:29 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
If Imus likes him, I like him.
Old 06-25-08, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Lara Means
Will Smith comes across as a guy I could have a beer and a laugh with. If thats true or not, i'm most likely never know. Who gives a shit anyways.
Yeah, me too. He seems like a fun goofy guy. Nothing about him seems to really bother me at all.
Old 06-25-08, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by runnersdialzero
Ever since ID4, I don't think he's done one movie where he wasn't the leading actor.
Jersey Girl.
Old 06-25-08, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never met him myself, but everything I've heard and seen is that he's a really nice, down to earth guy.
Old 06-25-08, 11:54 AM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts
Go watch "Where The Day Takes You" and then we'll talk.
Old 06-25-08, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[BrokenRecord]If I let anyone's personal life intrude on my appreciation of their acting, I probably wouldn't like any of my favourite actors.[/BrokenRecord]
Old 06-25-08, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by coli
I like Will Smith, but like most Hollywood actors, once they join Scientology, they start to get annoying.
Fixed.
Old 06-25-08, 12:11 PM

He seems like a decent guy. You never hear any of his co-stars say bad things about him. As for the Charlize Theron thing, I think that's just Smith being Smith. I seem to remember him being flirtatious with Salma Hayek during promotions for Wild, Wild West. He's a touchy-feely person.

In an industry full of bastards and b*tches, he's probably among the good ones. But it's got to be tough to be in Hollywood that long and not become an affected version of yourself to some degree. Still, I think he's an OK guy.
Old 06-25-08, 12:12 PM

This type of thread always seem to pop up whenever a new movie of his comes out. He's ok. I like some of his movies. Thought he was really good in The Pursuit Of Happiness.
Old 06-25-08, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems recently that there has been a ton of talk about how people hate actors in certain movies because of "what they heard happening on the set."

I watch the movies, and I either enjoy them or I don't. I don't give a shit what happened behind the scenes, unless Will was burning American flags and shouting out racists slurs, I don't think his antics will make me not want to see the film. He comes across as likeable to me.
Old 06-25-08, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't know about him but I met his wife Jada Pinkett Smith and she was super nice and down to earth.
Old 06-25-08, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

He seems nice. I'll vote for him.

Wait, what are we talking about?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.