Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Lil' Wayne sells 1 million copies in 1st week

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-08, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

First artist to do so since 50 Cent, March 2005.

I think I just threw up a little...

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/cha...like-a-million
Old 06-19-08, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the world is coming to an end. the lolipop song is probably the most irritating song in the world (that song is about bj's right?)
Old 06-19-08, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would think that the people that are into this artist are less likley to download music than say...everyone else besides old folgies who make Neil Diamond have a number one cd!
Old 06-19-08, 01:18 AM
Banned

It makes me very sad that a person like Lil Wayne sells so many albums. He's terrible. Has always been terrible, but some reason these kids love his crap. Somehow they consider him a genius. I've had numerous talks about it. This world is going to hell.
Old 06-19-08, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by puddytay
It makes me very sad that a person like Lil Wayne sells so many albums. He's terrible. Has always been terrible, but some reason these kids love his crap. Somehow they consider him a genius. I've had numerous talks about it. This world is going to hell.
I agree. I've liked an occasional song that he's been on but I can't imagine running and buying his cd. One of the younger guys I work with did though..snapped it right up. Too many people bought into his hype that he's the "greatest rapper alive".
Old 06-19-08, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rolling Stone got washed away in the hype too, declaring that he really is the greatest rapper alive and gave the album 4 and 1/2 stars. How is he the greatest rapper alive when he gets overshadowed on every song on the album that features a guest appearance (Jay-Z, Busta Rhymes, even Fabolous...)? Start-and-stop, nursery rhyme raps and a grating, annoying voice somehow make Lil' Wayne the best rapper alive.
Old 06-19-08, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Strange-looking guy. That's all I can say.
Old 06-19-08, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Good for him.
Old 06-19-08, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Has anyone here even listened to the CD? I'm sure you're all throwing hour hands up and just saying you hate him because of Lollipop. Eminem made crap songs too, but does that mean his albums sucked?

I'm not a Weezy advocate.. not by a long shot, but I gave the album a spin and I really enjoyed it. He did a very impressive job. It wasn't better than Kanye's Graduation, which sold less than this, but it's good to see an actual quality CD take the top spot with over a million sold.

Congrats to him. Just hope this doesn't add to his ego, too much.. I read an article in Vibe two months ago and he's a pompous prick. Maybe even moreso than Kanye.
Old 06-19-08, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The album is actually pretty good. It's really bloated, and could be trimmed by oh, say... 10 songs. It's nowhere near the "best rap album ever" or whatever, but hey it is a lot of fun.

Good for him.
Old 06-19-08, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Old 06-19-08, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm not a rap fan by any means, but good for him. That's a big accomplishment for any artist, but to do it in these dark days of the record industry is really impressive.
Old 06-19-08, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's all because Pitchfork gave him an 8.7
Old 06-19-08, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mcfly
Has anyone here even listened to the CD? I'm sure you're all throwing hour hands up and just saying you hate him because of Lollipop. Eminem made crap songs too, but does that mean his albums sucked?

I'm not a Weezy advocate.. not by a long shot, but I gave the album a spin and I really enjoyed it. He did a very impressive job. It wasn't better than Kanye's Graduation, which sold less than this, but it's good to see an actual quality CD take the top spot with over a million sold.
Yeah, I think there is a built in bias against Weezy, which he's earned for being wack for so long. However, I did give the album a listen and it is pretty good. Is it the best thing I've ever heard? No, but there are some pretty good songs on there. Also, there is hardly any "bang bang, I'm a gangsta and will shoot a fool, because I sell drugs!!!!" type of talk on the album, which I appreciated. I honestly think dude is trying to become a better artist, and that's something I also respect.

Comfortable and Dr. Carter are my favorites.
Old 06-19-08, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
haha nice find
Old 06-19-08, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by big whoppa

Strange-looking guy. That's all I can say.
Old 06-19-08, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by puddytay
I don't really have a problem with people liking bad music. Hell, I like some things that are pretty much crap, and I enjoy them unironically and without labeling them "guilty pleasures".

The sad thing is when mediocre stuff like this is the only thing that's popular. The entire Hot 100 chart is full of this repetitive nonsense, with a smattering of country and jangly "punk" thrown in for good measure. Truly talented artists play to small but dedicated crowds, never getting the recognition they deserve, while total shit is hailed as the next coming of the Beatles.
Old 06-19-08, 09:26 PM

Lil Wayne is by no means a lyrical genius. I'm more of a beat guy in the hip-hop/rap world so that's why the album was great to me. He had some disappointing songs (La La, Lollipop is annoying) and some excellent (Mr. Carter/Dr. Carter) and a few enjoyable (You Ain't Got Nuthin' especially Santana's line "my flow is just slaughter/my wrists look like frozen Poland Spring water") ones.

Some people (like one of my friends) sweat the man calling him the best rapper alive (perhaps but I still think Eminem, Krazyie Bone, Chamillionaire or Bun B could destroy him) but good news for him. He knew how to create the buzz and it worked! Got to give him credit for that regardless how you feel about the music.

Last edited by MrChaos; 06-19-08 at 09:29 PM.
Old 06-19-08, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eh...a mediocre album with three keepers on it for me (Shoot Me Down, Mr. Carter, & Tie My Hands).

I'm not surprised it sold a million, but it's nowhere near so many albums that have come out this year.

= J
Old 06-22-08, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mcfly
It's not better than Graduation, American Gangster, 8 Diagrams (which sold about 3 copies in its opening week), Big Doe Rehab, the Clipse's Hell Hath No Fury, hell...the new N.E.R.D. album is better. I will say though, as on the two previous Lil' Wayne albums, the production on Carter III is pretty solid, but a million copies? Did anyone see the lollipop video with Wayne trying to look like he's playing guitar? Embarrassing...It seems like there are certain hip-hop artists to whom the usually snobby white music press (Pitchfork...) will give a pass. Some deserve the respect (The Clipse and Ghostface) and some I find extremely suspect (Cam'ron and Lil' Wayne...)

Last edited by kurupt; 06-22-08 at 06:45 AM.
Old 06-22-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cam'ron doesn't really get much love from the "white press." His last mixtape did, but that was actually a solid effort.

I'm not sold on Wayne. He's improved leaps and bounds since his days of providing verses with such lyrical genius as "DROP DROP DROP IT LIKE IT'S HOT WHAT WHAT DROP IT LIKE IT'S HOT!" His wordplay is cute, but I still don't think much of him in the way of being able to construct an actual song. I know he's not really trying to be the sort of rapper who tells a story, but you can only dig so much free association before it gets a little tired.
Old 06-22-08, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Al Padrino
His wordplay is cute, but I still don't think much of him in the way of being able to construct an actual song.
Or a coherent sentence...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2zYQ_IIe330&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2zYQ_IIe330&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 06-22-08, 12:46 PM
Suspended

i like the album
Old 06-22-08, 08:20 PM

This "ringtone rap" era is just so weak. It likes these high school kids hear nursery rhymes and puns over a dance beat and it's "clever" to them. I was listening to Chronic 2001 the other day, kind of made me sad to think about what direction rap took after 50 Cent's In Da Club.
Old 06-22-08, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What IceT said about Soulja Boy seems to apply here as well.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.