Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains > DVD Clubs
Reload this Page >

Received movies I never ordered/I have no membership

DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Old 06-16-08, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just received three movies from Columbia House today. I checked my bank website and I see I was charged $9.95. I haven't had a membership with CH for six years (which was cancelled after I fulfilled my commitment.)

I called CH and noticed an odd menu choice. It was in a different voice, as if it was added after the original voice menu was recorded. It said "If you are not a member and have questions regarding a package or charge you have received, press 5."

I then was immediately connected to an operator who gave no argument, she simply said that the charge would be reversed within three days, and effective immediately, nothing could be ordered or shipped from that account. She also said I could keep the movies.

What gives? Is CH being scammed, or were they attempting to scam me? How did they get my card number (the card that was on file with them six years ago has long since expired.)

BTW, the movies I got were crap. At least they could have sent me something good.
Old 06-16-08, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by kb0wwp
I just received three movies from Columbia House today. I checked my bank website and I see I was charged $9.95. I haven't had a membership with CH for six years (which was cancelled after I fulfilled my commitment.)

I called CH and noticed an odd menu choice. It was in a different voice, as if it was added after the original voice menu was recorded. It said "If you are not a member and have questions regarding a package or charge you have received, press 5."

I then was immediately connected to an operator who gave no argument, she simply said that the charge would be reversed within three days, and effective immediately, nothing could be ordered or shipped from that account. She also said I could keep the movies.

What gives? Is CH being scammed, or were they attempting to scam me? How did they get my card number (the card that was on file with them six years ago has long since expired.)

BTW, the movies I got were crap. At least they could have sent me something good.
For curiosity's sake, what flicks did they send you?
Old 06-16-08, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought that kind of thing would go along with -

If you receive something in the mail you didn't order, you don't have to pay for it - it's considered a 'gift'. So, if you're charged for it(somehow), you can dispute it & keep the 'gift'.
Old 06-16-08, 09:41 PM

Superbad (unrated), Sweeney Todd, and No Reservations. They don't even fetch much on eBay.
Old 06-16-08, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by thejester
I thought that kind of thing would go along with -

If you receive something in the mail you didn't order, you don't have to pay for it - it's considered a 'gift'. So, if you're charged for it(somehow), you can dispute it & keep the 'gift'.
That's the first thing I thought, then I realized they charged mt debit card. Disputing a charge is a pain. I didn't even much appreciate the fact I had to spend 5 minutes on the phone. At least they agreed to reverse the charge without an argument.
Old 06-16-08, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 276 Likes on 207 Posts
Superbad (unrated), Sweeney Todd, and No Reservations. They don't even fetch much on eBay.
Superbad's a good movie.

There must be some glitches with their new website. I'm hoping for some glitches on the 20th when the funcash comes back online.
Old 06-17-08, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I love Superbad and hear good things about Sweeney Todd. No Reservations looks blah. And no, I don't want them from you! I have Superbad and Sweeney Todd already.
Old 06-17-08, 03:10 AM

Both Superbad and No Reservations were tremendously enjoyable. Having seen both many times over already, I still wouldn't mind watching them again. They're good movies in my books.
Old 06-17-08, 09:18 AM

Teen sex humor just isn't my bag, neither are slasher musicals. My wife said we should keep No Reservations (which is ok, it only gets $2 or so on eBay...)

I'm surprised no one else has heard of this, especially since CH had a special menu option for this situation.
Old 06-17-08, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's the first thing I thought, then I realized they charged mt debit card. Disputing a charge is a pain. I didn't even much appreciate the fact I had to spend 5 minutes on the phone. At least they agreed to reverse the charge without an argument.
I use credit cards a LOT. If you use self control by not charging all kinds of stuff you can't pay back, then they can be VERY rewarding. I charge everything on them. Car, groceries, utilities, ect...
I get cash back and flier miles mostly. ...and I never, EVER, use my debit card for anything other than drawing money out of the ATM. Useing it for anything online can be extremely catostophic (times) infinity !

ANYWAY, I have had to dispute several charges over the years and have never had a problem doing so. Most of the time a quick phone call and it's done/fixed. The only thing was once I had money missing out of my bank account and I had to actually go into the bank to get it fixed, but that has been the most trouble.
Old 06-17-08, 09:47 PM

Like I said, even five minutes on the phone was more hassle than I wanted. Yes, disputing a charge can be easy, or it can be a major pain in the ass. Several years ago, a card issuer (NetBank) would only reverse the charge if I would agree to cancel the card and receive a replacement card. I had several monthly bills auto-debited from that card and had to change all of them. That type of crap is something I don't ever need again. Three crappy DVDs is certainly not enough payment for that kind of trouble.
Old 06-20-08, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SMART-ASS
I use credit cards a LOT. If you use self control by not charging all kinds of stuff you can't pay back, then they can be VERY rewarding. I charge everything on them. Car, groceries, utilities, ect...
I get cash back and flier miles mostly. ...and I never, EVER, use my debit card for anything other than drawing money out of the ATM. Useing it for anything online can be extremely catostophic (times) infinity !

ANYWAY, I have had to dispute several charges over the years and have never had a problem doing so. Most of the time a quick phone call and it's done/fixed. The only thing was once I had money missing out of my bank account and I had to actually go into the bank to get it fixed, but that has been the most trouble.
Your experience mirrors mine. I use a variety of cash back rewards cards for nearly all purchases (all of which are paid off monthly to avoid interest charges, of course). And the only debit card I have is used strictly as a cash machine card (and not often for that, given that I rarely use cash for purchases).

I have often advised against using a debit card at Columbia House. That is a good way to screw up a bank account and get charged overdraft fees, unless one keeps a high balance in the account. Debit card related overdraft fees are a major profit generator for banks.

I realize that some people don't trust themselves with credit cards or can't qualify for one. But if one is in such a situation, buying frivolous luxuries, such as DVDs, doesn't make much sense, IMHO.

So far as the OP's problem is concerned, this seems like a Columbia House screw-up related to the changeover to the new website. But that is just a guess.