Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

What brick and mortar store has the best condition DVDs?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-08, 12:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In your experience, what store has their DVDs in the best condition? Do you care if the cover insert is so high or low that it's bent? Do you care if TV box sets have dented corners? What about heat wave plastic covers?
Old 06-13-08, 12:23 PM
Banned

Wal-Mart can be good for new and popular releases while Sam Goody is better for more obscure titles. I find Borders is horrible for TV box sets since their security device wraps so tightly around it that they're almost always badly dented and bent.
Old 06-13-08, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Shouldn't the store's return policy matter more to you?
Old 06-13-08, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
Shouldn't the store's return policy matter more to you?
It sounds like he's inadverantly trying to figure out what store to return his busted online purchases at.
Old 06-13-08, 01:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mcfly
It sounds like he's inadverantly trying to figure out what store to return his busted online purchases at.
Or maybe I'm trying to continue a previous discussion without breaking forum rules. My entire point is to find the best condition DVDs. Don't you think others that join a forum on a site called DVD Talk might care about their collections?
Old 06-13-08, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Or maybe you're asking the same question in a different way. For something that already got a thread closed.
Old 06-13-08, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They're all the same as long as they don't put those stupid spider things on their box sets.
Old 06-13-08, 02:08 PM
Banned

So I can't re-ask a question in a way that is following forum rules without getting smart-alec remarks?

...and Borders does put the spider things on their sets. Same as Wal-Mart and their bigger TV box sets.

Also they aren't all the same. You can't tell me some stores don't have beat up DVDs more than others. I was just trying to help others out in finding the best condition DVDs. Apparently a forum for DVD collectors isn't the place. If not then where?
Old 06-13-08, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by u-stu
Also they aren't all the same. You can't tell me some stores don't have beat up DVDs more than others. I was just trying to help others out in finding the best condition DVDs. Apparently a forum for DVD collectors isn't the place. If not then where?
Well I know someone who works at Best Buy.. and from what I hear.. when the new shipments come in they kick the boxes around back and play a game of soccer before they put them on the shelf. Wal-Mart employees are more hockey fans, so they used to boxes as a puck.. I would imagine gitting hit with something like the human foot than a hockey stick would cause more damage.

Then there's Target, who uses them as footballs.. so looks like you have a lot of options to weigh out!
Old 06-13-08, 02:31 PM
Banned

Well I know someone who works at Best Buy.. and from what I hear.. when the new shipments come in they kick the boxes around back and play a game of soccer before they put them on the shelf. Wal-Mart employees are more hockey fans, so they used to boxes as a puck.. I would imagine gitting hit with something like the human foot than a hockey stick would cause more damage.

Then there's Target, who uses them as footballs.. so looks like you have a lot of options to weigh out!
Why should I waste my time on this forum if these are the kind of responses I get? Apparently this is just another forum run by 12 year olds looking to put others down.
Old 06-13-08, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

We're definitely not going to be disappointed if you pack up your bags and leave. Stop trying to screw the system over.
Old 06-13-08, 04:44 PM
Banned

I'm not trying to screw the system. If anything the system is screwing me by giving me less than decent condition items that I've paid for. No matter where I return an item the beat up DVD goes through the same process except the consumer (me) gets what he paid for.

Thanks for being an asshole I really appreciate the kindness of this forum.
Old 06-13-08, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not trying to screw the system. If anything the system is screwing me by giving me less than decent condition items that I've paid for. No matter where I return an item the beat up DVD goes through the same process except the consumer (me) gets what he paid for.

Thanks for being an asshole I really appreciate the kindness of this forum.
As a consumer, use some common sense and return it to where you bought it. Just because you don't feel like waiting with transit times doesn't give you the right to return shoddy merchandise to a retail outlet.
Old 06-13-08, 05:10 PM
Banned

First of all I've tried returning to the same place and they return an equally crappy item. Second I've swapped at Wal-Mart which deserves any and every piece of shoddy merchandise I give them.

Don't act like saints.
Old 06-13-08, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

First of all I've tried returning to the same place and they return an equally crappy item. Second I've swapped at Wal-Mart which deserves any and every piece of shoddy merchandise I give them.

Don't act like saints.
You created a second thread with the same intent as your first, knowingly damn well that the first time it was against forum rules.

I know you're a n00b here, but you're obviously not an idiot since you rip off all of the major big retail chains all the time.

Tsk tsk.
Old 06-13-08, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know you're a n00b here, but you're obviously not an idiot since you rip off all of the major big retail chains all the time.
Although possibly unethical, I would hardly consider what you are accusing u-stu of doing as "ripping off" a big retail chain.

And I'm really surprised at all the thread-crapping and moderator-wannabeeing going on here. If you don't like a thread, then report it. Otherwise, STFU.
Old 06-13-08, 06:11 PM

Don't act like saints.
Maybe you should stop purchasing from places that give you crappy items then.
Old 06-13-08, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Peep
And I'm really surprised at all the thread-crapping and moderator-wannabeeing going on here. If you don't like a thread, then report it. Otherwise, STFU.
Already did. Nothing happened.

There's no moderating wanna-being. Questions like this are rediculous. We had the "Where can you return unopened DVDs without a receipt" thread closed on the same grounds.
Old 06-13-08, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Already did. Nothing happened.
Why not try ignoring the thread until the moderators have a chance to look at it. Either they haven't had a chance yet or they don't have a problem with it.
Old 06-13-08, 06:55 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Peep
Why not try ignoring the thread until the moderators have a chance to look at it. Either they haven't had a chance yet or they don't have a problem with it.
They just did and the OP got suspended for a personal attack.