Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Roku box - watch Netflix's Watch It Now on your TV.

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-08, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

http://www.roku.com/products/netflixplayer/index.php

I just got the box today - around $118 including NV tax and shipping.

Setup was easy enough, and got it set up with my WEP key and everything. I'm watching it on a 46" Sharp Aquos 1080p HDTV through an HDMI cable (not included). I'm using it wirelessly, but it also has an ethernet port. Included is a composite cable but it also has component connection.

Quality: It's not HDTV and the detail is not outstanding, but in my opinion it's great quality for what it is and certainly watchable (I started with a Penn & Teller Bullsh*t episode).

It's great to add stuff to the queue and then just select what you want to watch. Playback started within a minute. There's been 2 slight audio hiccups in five minutes or so but nothing too annoying, and the video has had no hiccups at all. I have a 3 meg DSL connection that most of the time clocks in at 2-2.5.

Ironically Penn said 'that's not a cat name, that's the name of two movies in my Netflix queue'

Highly recommended! ANYONE with a Netflix account should have one of these because for a one time ~$120 payment, you have tons of movies and TV shows.

I've seen a few minutes of a few things now (IMAX's Coral Reefs, part of an Airline ep), and now I'm watching Drunken Master - very happy with the quality, no more hiccups after those first two.

I can't decide what to watch because I want to watch everything They have newer things like Pan's Labyrinth. They have tons of TV shows (Heroes 1 and 2, 30's Rock 1, The Office), tons of documentaries, and older and newer movies. 10,000 available items as of right now is nothing to shake a stick at. There's tons of stuff in there.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 06-12-08 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-12-08, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so is this netflix offiical box or just some knockoff one? Is netflix itself coming out with something similar?
Old 06-12-08, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is the official Netflix box. They contracted it out to Roku.
Old 06-12-08, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Or you can just use your xbox 360, and download the dll from hackingnetflix to do the same thing for free
Old 06-12-08, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The integration is not the same. I tried the XBOX 360 one and wasn't able to get it to work, and I've gotten to the point that if something does something RIGHT, it's worth a nominal amount. Also, this way I can use it on any TV without the XBOX. And it's wireless (with the 360 adapter itself being $100). No messing with a computer. I don't know what the 360 interface does, but this rewinds, fast forwards, pauses, no hiccups, starts under a minute, and there's a queue of stuff that you can add to from the box or from the web.

BTW what's today's main story in the hackingnetflix website?

Roku's Netflix Player Backlog Now 6 to 8 Weeks

Thinking about getting Roku's Netflix Player? The Silicon Valley / San Jose Business Journal reports that "Privately held Roku said its backlog will take six to eight weeks to clear up as more units arrive from Asia."

In less than three weeks, Netflix Inc.'s new set-top boxes have been cleared out, and the Los Gatos company said it is pressing its supplier to speed up production.

Tons of positive reviews on hackingnetflix:
http://www.hackingnetflix.com/2008/0....html#comments

Last edited by GatorDeb; 06-12-08 at 01:10 PM.
Old 06-12-08, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Or you can just use your xbox 360, and download the dll from hackingnetflix to do the same thing for free
more info please, or is the one that requires Vista (yuck)