Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

YAET: Neutral = Negative under the new rules? What?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-08, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Ugh... fucking new rules. I've been on ebay for almost 10 years now and maintained a 100% feedback rating. I had one douchebag leave me a neutral in April which under the old rules was no big deal(my second in 10 years) so I didn't think twice about it. Now apparently it might as well be a negative. So even though I haven't sold anything in a couple months, I haven't even checked my feedback, I went from 100% to 98.5%.

I know people's first response will be that 98% is fine, but I do all my selling on half.com where only 4 users are listed at once for an item. That 100% almost always guaranteed me a quicker sale over the other 3 users. Has this happened to anyone else?

Total bullshit.
Old 06-11-08, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of the many reasons I left. The last item I shipped, the guy gave me the wrong address, so I emailed him for the right address...it took him a week to respond. I sent the item afterwards, and he gave me a negative for slow shipping, even though he received the item right after he gave me the right address. I, of course, have no recourse.

Fuck eBay.

= J
Old 06-11-08, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tarantino
One of the many reasons I left. The last item I shipped, the guy gave me the wrong address, so I emailed him for the right address...it took him a week to respond. I sent the item afterwards, and he gave me a negative for slow shipping, even though he received the item right after he gave me the right address. I, of course, have no recourse.

Fuck eBay.
Same thing happened to me.

I tried closing my account yesterday but they're making me wait 60 days, THEN 180 days from then. WTF???? Like, 7 months???? Jesus Christ.

Never again.
Old 06-11-08, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That is really stupid. Has the feedback always been computed for only the past year? I checked because I knew I had a neutral (retalitory in nature since I left the seller a neutral), but it didn't affect my % since it's over a year old.
Old 06-11-08, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by reverie
That is really stupid. Has the feedback always been computed for only the past year? I checked because I knew I had a neutral (retalitory in nature since I left the seller a neutral), but it didn't affect my % since it's over a year old.
Past 12 months is how the new feedback system works.
Old 06-11-08, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
All I know is my percentage went from 99.9% positive to 99.6 positive, but my point number went up a bit. Whatever. I've only used Ebay once or twice since the new rules when I was selling stuff Amazon didn't have listed (import HD DVD's).
Old 06-11-08, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, this is true, and crappy. I had a 100% positive rating until they switched over to a twelve-month calculation and started making neutrals count against you. (I've had one neutral in the last six months or so).

I feel worse for my wife, who has already seen the effects of the new policy that forbids the leaving of negative feedback by sellers. She had a 100% positive rating also--the most stellar customer comments you could hope for--and had the misfortune to sell an item to a nitpicky buyer who slapped her with a negative for a miniscule scratch that was on the handbag that she bought.

My wife looked up the buyer's feedback and saw that for EVERY purchase she made, this woman had a similar complaint: every tiny imperfection on items she bought got mentioned in the feedback, such as "item had 1/2-inch scratch," "item had tiny tear in corner of box," "item had little smudge on it," etc. The difference is, she left POSITIVES for these sellers anyway. (These feedbacks were left while the sellers could still leave negatives).

Heck, I am as anal as most people on this board about things like DVDs, but I've gotten items brand-new from online vendors with tiny imperfections like this, and I just don't worry about them. (They do get HANDLED by packers and packages do get thrown around by shippers, you know!)

Furthermore, the buyer admitted that the package she received from my wife was apparently damaged during shipment, so the damage may indeed have occurred during shipping. Does she follow ebay's suggestion and contact the seller to ask for help before leaving the negative? Of course not.

In the end, my wife did get her to post an "i'm sorry" follow-up, but now she has a blemish on her record that won't go away. She has since banned this buyer from her future auctions, but ebay has really gone downhill for selling.
Old 06-11-08, 09:18 PM

First of all, I do not know too much about Ebay and I only Buy on there.

That being said, can't you talk with the user and sometimes get a "Mutual Feedback Withdrawal?" That way it doesn't affect your score? Let me know if I am wrong.

I had a bad situation last month sort of like the aforementioned one. I bought a DVD that was listed as MINT. When it arrived, it has severely bent corners, and a large Rip at the top (It was a paper case and the sticker had not been carefully removed.) If I had known this, I wouldn't have taken it if it was free! When I checked the disc, it was scratched to hell. I contacted the user and he literally said "Just clean it, it will work fine." I left negative feedback and wandered off with my tail between my legs. Next time I log on, I see that he left negative feedback for me! I was extremely angry.. I did my part as the buyer, sent immediate payment. However, because I left him a negative, he did it in return.

I eventually got him to do the withdrawal, which left only the comments there.

Yeah, ebay sucks.
Old 06-11-08, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by davethomasowns
That being said, can't you talk with the user and sometimes get a "Mutual Feedback Withdrawal?" That way it doesn't affect your score? Let me know if I am wrong.
Used to be that way. One part of the recent changes made was to eliminate the "Mutual Feedback Withdrawal" option.
Old 06-11-08, 10:46 PM

Mutual feedback option was the only thing that saved my rating. A package got "beat-up on it's way to buyer and broke the item". I offered them insurance and they refused. So they filed a paypal claim (and wanted the $10.00 to ship the item to Canada back) and won the claim. They chose not to send the item back in the 10 days paypal gave them (which proved it was a fraud). After all this, they left me negative feedback calling me a piece of "SH!T". only the fact I could leave them negative feedback, then the mutual feedback option saved my record.

The fucking site will die soon enough as they push the small time people out. Because big companies that sell new items in bulk won't be able to replace the seller that is selling a rare LP or 1 of 1 baseball card.
Old 06-12-08, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts
Kind of off-topic, but with some people here saying that they are leaving eBay, where are they going? I only sell maybe 6 six times a year on there, so where else could I sell?
Old 06-12-08, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a deadbeat bidder on my hands, he had 0 feedback rating. Now I see he has 1, I check his feedback and its from a seller that gave him a positive score but had to give a negative review saying no payment no communication.
Old 06-12-08, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I always leave a neutral feedback unless the seller gives exceptional service.
Old 06-12-08, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by joltman
Kind of off-topic, but with some people here saying that they are leaving eBay, where are they going? I only sell maybe 6 six times a year on there, so where else could I sell?
Amazon.com is one place to go. For me, it has been local sales or other message boards related to the hobbies I have if I don't use EBAY. Doing a google search for EBAY alternatives turned up nothing that was worth while.
Old 06-12-08, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
Mine went up from 99.2% to 100% because I have 1 neg and 2 neutrals total (out of 400+) but it was years ago.
Old 06-12-08, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
That's pretty lame.

= J
Old 06-12-08, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's people like you that have ruined eBay.

If you get the item in a decent timeframe, that should be a positive. Or, if it wasn't to your liking, just don't leave any at all. Why should someone go above and beyond just to guarantee a green + from you?

I've dealt with too many buyers like you in the past and it got tiresome.
Old 06-12-08, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
As a (rare) buyer only, I hate the new system. Since sellers can't leave buyers negative feedback, there's no real valid way for me to build up my feedback. Not a big big deal as I've purchased there a half dozen times or less, but I still think the fact that I try to be a good customer should count for something on there.
Old 06-12-08, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
What do you want, a blowjob?
Old 06-12-08, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I left negative feedback and wandered off with my tail between my legs. Next time I log on, I see that he left negative feedback for me! I was extremely angry.. I did my part as the buyer, sent immediate payment. However, because I left him a negative, he did it in return.
This is the bottom line of why the new rules exist. The sellers screwed themselves. If they hadn't pulled years of bullshit retaliatory feedback like this, the rules would have never changed. All for the better, I say.
Old 06-12-08, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Numanoid
This is the bottom line of why the new rules exist. The sellers screwed themselves. If they hadn't pulled years of bullshit retaliatory feedback like this, the rules would have never changed. All for the better, I say.
Now the buyer gets zero feedback and fewer sellers. Who screwed who?
Old 06-12-08, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid
That's right. Only sellers can do wrong. Buyers do not receive negative feedback because they cannot do anything wrong. They deserve it.

My remaining business is moving to Amazon.com. I don't sell quite as fast on there as I do with BINs on ebay, but I also don't need to deal with paypal "item not received" claims in less than 24 hours from the end of the auction and "will you ship to Taiwan" and "will you end the auction early for this amount" bullshit. And I don't have to take pictures of everything.

I am doing ebay now only for stuff that isn't practically sellable on Amazon. Computer hardware, etc. All my games, blu-rays, etc are going to Amazon (and most DVDs trade-in at wherehouse.com). Honestly I seem to do fine on Amazon with games, if not better, and it's a LOT less hassle.

On the flip side I probably bought as much as I sold over the years, and I'm not really interested in buying much there either. Of course if I do, I can be an unreasonable prick to the seller now.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 06-12-08 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-12-08, 11:19 PM
Suspended

First of all, I do not know too much about Ebay and I only Buy on there.

I had a bad situation last month sort of like the aforementioned one. I bought a DVD that was listed as MINT. When it arrived, it has severely bent corners, and a large Rip at the top (It was a paper case and the sticker had not been carefully removed.) If I had known this, I wouldn't have taken it if it was free! When I checked the disc, it was scratched to hell. I contacted the user and he literally said "Just clean it, it will work fine." I left negative feedback and wandered off with my tail between my legs. Next time I log on, I see that he left negative feedback for me! I was extremely angry.. I did my part as the buyer, sent immediate payment. However, because I left him a negative, he did it in return.

I eventually got him to do the withdrawal, which left only the comments there.

Yeah, ebay sucks.
You know, I had a transaction with somebody like that at Amazon Marketplace. Freakbeat_sales I think was the user ID. He listed a Queen Return of the Champions DVD as MINT. He obviously had no idea what MINT means. It arrived as opened, not new in package which is really what Mint means anyway - untouched perfect condition, it was smudged, had fuzz all over it & what looked like cat hair, and a very long scratch.

I kept the DVD because it was cheap & played ok, and spending gas to drive to the post office, pay to ship it back to him, wait for a refund MINUS shipping, it would not have been worth my time.

Some folks just have no idea what MINT means.

Last edited by fitlissa76; 06-12-08 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-13-08, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fitlissa76
Some folks just have no idea what MINT means.
Heck, lots of people have no idea what BRAND NEW means. I can't tell you how many DVDs I've seen listed on Half.com as being "BRAND NEW", then under item description it says Only watched once or twice.

Of course, just about everyone over 10 knows what 'brand new' means, so they may just be lying scumbags. But, since I'm a nice guy, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they're just idiots.
Old 06-13-08, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mcfly
It's people like you that have ruined eBay.
Good.

Originally Posted by mcfly
Or, if it wasn't to your liking, just don't leave any at all.
If a transaction was not to my liking, I'm leaving a negative. Not just forgetting about it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.