Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Call of Duty: World at War

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-08, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
Call of Duty: World at War

Not sure how credible:

The latest issue of the Official Xbox Magazine U.K. has revealed the next title in the Call of Duty series. Activision has decided to drop the numeric subtitle and instead call it Call of Duty: World at War. Confirming the rumors, the game takes place in the Pacific theater of WWII, but Treyarch clarified it is not the same settings we have seen before.

The developer has confirmed that the game uses the Call of Duty 4 engine, incorporates 4-player co-op over Xbox Live, a first for the series; and that versus multiplayer will feature vehicles and squad-based elements. One of the things highlighted in the article is how gritty the game is.
Old 06-09-08, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know people will go nuts that it is Treyarch and they are going back to WWII, but I am excited for a few reasons.

First, we wouldn't get this game at all if they stuck with IW because their development cycle can't work that fast. So this is a gimme. Doesn't affect the Modern Combat series or IW's ability to make COD games.

Second, they are using the COD 4 engine.

And third, the Pacific Theater has a ton of potential and was only used in MOH Rising Sun, and that game was bad but had its moments.
Old 06-09-08, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sucks to hear its going back to WW2. Weapons aren't as fun or cool. Was hoping the next game would be like the end of COD4 in the plane. more modern stuff. Sucks Treyarch are developing it too. I didn't care for COD3 and the online play there wasn't that great. Dont like hearing about vehicle either. COD works well without vehicle, if I want vehicle I will play Battlefield bad company or something. This was pretty lousy news.

I cant believe they are going back to world war 2. Cant they come up with some pretty imaginative missions like there were in COD4? That game had some great single player missions.

Disappointing news...............

and if I wanted to play a ww shooter this fall, I will play Brothers in Arms.
Old 06-09-08, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by maingon
Sucks to hear its going back to WW2. Weapons aren't as fun or cool. Was hoping the next game would be like the end of COD4 in the plane. more modern stuff. Sucks Treyarch are developing it too. I didn't care for COD3 and the online play there wasn't that great. Dont like hearing about vehicle either. COD works well without vehicle, if I want vehicle I will play Battlefield bad company or something. This was pretty lousy news.

I cant believe they are going back to world war 2. Cant they come up with some pretty imaginative missions like there were in COD4? That game had some great single player missions.

Disappointing news...............

and if I wanted to play a ww shooter this fall, I will play Brothers in Arms.

Because IW can't get COD 6 out fast enough. So they are keeping there branding separate. No one in their right mind would want Treyarch to touch Modern Combat, so they are isolating Treyarch in the WWII arena and keeping IW with the Modern Combat. This comes out and then COD 6, the folllow up to 4, comes out next year. Pretty simple.
Old 06-09-08, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
I thought it was known for a long, long time that both Treyarch is developing and it takes place in WWII. This just confirms it.

You know it's going to be an every other year event, CoD3 was garbage, CoD:WaW will likely be another inferior entry. CoD6 should kick ass.
Old 06-09-08, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think this will start to become a trend where every other Call of Duty game is the good one.
Old 06-09-08, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I actually liked COD: Big Red One quite a bit, though it's not in the same league as COD 4.

I'm also excited about a Pacific theater WWII shooter. I thought Medal of Honor Rising Sun was really disappointing, so there is a lot of historic material that they can use that has never been in a game before. In Rising Sun you never really landed on a beach and started fighting Japs. I'm hoping for a more straightforward island hopping campaign where you land at Tarawa, Saipan, Guam, Iwo Jima, etc.

Also, I hope the game is available for the Wii since the controls are superior in my opinion for first person shooters.
Old 06-10-08, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

WWII
Vehicles

COD6
Old 06-10-08, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
A WWII game that deals with the Pacific part of the war.
Old 06-10-08, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
I was worried about a new COD game killing the multiplayer community for 4. Now that the new one is WWII I have nothing to worry about
Old 06-10-08, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess I'll be waiting for COD6. Sucks

WWII? Are you kidding me? The guns are gonna suck balls, no more red dot scope!
Vehicles? Yea, that's all I need a vehicle plowing me down. I liked the fact that it was so easy to kill people in COD4, it's gonna suck trying to take down a vehicle
Old 06-10-08, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
I like that they are doing co-op, but considering COD3 sucked donkey balls, this doesn't have me excited.
Old 06-10-08, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I loved COD2, even COD1. I just think the WWII genre is played out.
Old 06-10-08, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this game could rock... i expect it will be great...

with the COD4 engine, and the Pacific Theatre, i'm looking forward to this...
Old 06-10-08, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Looks like I'll be sticking to owning the even-numbered CODs.
Old 06-10-08, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
I forgot where, but I recall hearing that CoD6 by Infinity Ward will also be set in WWII, and not be modern.
Old 06-10-08, 12:00 PM

This is just confirming old news that wasn't as "confirmed", but I must say, now that it is confirmed I am a little bummed out. We finally made it out of the era of world wars and now we are right back into the mix. I am so sick of that era that there is no possible way anything they introduce in the game will get me as excited as I am for COD 6. Infinity Ward should be the only people making COD games from here on out.

Also, does this series really need vehicles? I mean really? All I can picture in my head is a bunch of asshole kids hoarding a mobile killing machine and really ruining the game for me like they did for halo 3.

meh.

Edit:

COD 6 will be made by Infinity Ward, but I am not sure on what time line it will take place in.
Old 06-10-08, 12:38 PM

Ehhh...I really hope that if they are using the COD4 engine that they won't screw this one up so bad.
Old 06-10-08, 12:54 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, they should just done the Pacific Theater and got it out of the way in CoD3, but oh well.

If we're going back in time, how about some other wars? I know it would be controversial, but a Vietnam CoD would be an interesting change of pace. I know other games has done it, but other games have done WWII and modern combat as well. And who says it even has to be wars the U.S. was involved in?
Old 06-10-08, 12:55 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
From what I've read there will also be a Russian campaign set in Germany.
Old 06-10-08, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
FWIW, they are adding Flamethrowers to this one. I'm pretty excited for a Pacific WW2 game.
Old 06-10-08, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

CoD2 was awesome and done by IW.

CoD3 was horrific and done by Treyarch.

CoD4 is awesome and done by IW.

CoD: WaW is done by Treyarch and i imagine will be terrible.
Old 06-10-08, 03:45 PM

I'm trying not to jump to conclusions on this one. Yes they have a shitty track record, but Infinity Ward has basically laid the foundation and has pretty much made the formula impossible to screw up. If they do in fact screw it up that would be a shame. Infinity Ward saves the franchise and these guys put it right back in its grave. That would be horrible.
Old 06-10-08, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
FWIW, they are adding Flamethrowers to this one. I'm pretty excited for a Pacific WW2 game.
I've always wondered why none of the Medal of Honor or Call of Duty games had flamethrowers. Finally!

If this game is succesful, I think we'll see more Pacific theater WWII games, especially after the sequel to Band of Brothers (called The Pacific) comes out on HBO and DVD next year. For those interested in the campaign mode, the Pacific theater has barely been touched upon in previous games. I think it's just the multiplayer folks that won't like it so much because of the more primitive weapons. Personally I'm more interested in the campaign mode, though I know that puts me in a small minority.

Fighting Nazis: completely played out
Fighting Japs: still tons of untapped potential
Old 06-10-08, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As long as this is released in PC, I'm happy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.