Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Better enjoy this summer movie season . . .

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-08, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

. . . because next years sounds bad. I'm going to reserve judgement until we get closer to time and trailers start coming out, but save for a few flicks it doesn't sound promising on paper. Here's what the studios are rolling out:

20th Century Fox
The X-Men spin-off "Wolverine", the "Night at the Museum" sequel, a movie version of "The A-Team", and a third "Ice Age" movie.

Wolverine might be ok, as long as it's better than X3. The rest of it sounds like pure crap.

Paramount Pictures
J.J. Abrams reinvention of "Star Trek", the Eddie Murphy dreamscape comedy "Nowhereland", the "Transformers" sequel, and the all-star "G.I. Joe" film.

I'll see Trek because I trust JJ, but I was never really a Trekkie. Transformers can be 80% as good as the first and I'd still chalk it up as a solid follow up. GI Joe I'm not as thrilled on. And when is the last time a high concept Eddie Murphy comedy was funny?

Sony Pictures
The Da Vinci Code-prequel "Angels and Demons", the biblical set ensemble comedy "Year One", Roland Emmerich's armageddon epic "2012", the untitled Judd Apatow/Adam Sandler team-up comedy, and the Denzel Washington led remake of "The Taking of Pelham 123".

A prequel to what was the worst film adaptation of solid source material I've seen in years -- yay! 2012 has a decent enough concept for a popcorn flick, but Roland's track record has been awful as of late. Apatow is always gold, and I'll reserve judgement on anything Denzel does.

Universal Pictures
The Vin Diesel and Paul Walker-led new "Fast and Furious", Michael Mann's John Dillinger flick with Johnny Depp entitled "Public Enemies", and Will Ferrell fantasy comedy "Land of the Lost".

Did the world really need another Fast and the Furious? Public Enemies should be great, I just hope this flick doesn't get lost in the summer shuffle like Cinderella Man did. As for Land of the Lost -- I love Ferrell, but I get the feeling that this will be another Bewitched.

Walt Disney Pictures
Guaranteed money manufacturer "The Hannah Montana Movie", Pixar's wild sky adventure "Up", and the Bruckheimer-produced sword and sorcery action epic "Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time" with Jake Gyllenhaal.

Up will be great. Hannah isn't my cup of tea. Jake Gyllenhaal doesn't look Persian.

Warner Brothers
McG brings us his PG-13 vision of the future with the first of, possibly, three new Terminator flicks.
I love Terminator and Bale -- but everything else (McG, PG-13, the potential leaked ending) has be worried.

What do you guys think of Summer 2009 -- are you looking forward to many of these projects?
Old 06-03-08, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Thats every other summer. Last summer was supposed to be great and wound up being completely horrible.

Looking forward to Prince of Persia, Persian lead or not.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-03-08 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-03-08, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
A lot of those sound good to me.

Plus, I'm sure that there will be a handful of non-tentpole pics that'll be good.
Old 06-03-08, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,207 Likes on 2,069 Posts
Doesn't look any worse than years past. I'll probably check out:

Star Trek
Transformers 2
Angels and Demons
Public Enemies
Up
Prince of Persia
T4

Considering many people are considering this year to be exceptional and yet all I'm really interested in is Indy 4, The Dark Knight, and Hancock, I don't see next year shaping up to be any worse. Of course all those films could suck major ass.

I'm just looking forward to a summer that's not comic book heavy...
Old 06-03-08, 08:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Public Enemies, The Taking of Pelham 123, and Wolverine have me most excited.
Old 06-03-08, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Public Enemies coming out in the summer and not during Oscar season has me worried.
Old 06-03-08, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm in for TF2, GIJOE, Prince of Persia, T4 (maybe) and possibly 2012 (wait for reviews on that one)
Old 06-03-08, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Agreed. A lot of crap is getting flecked our way in '09, and sadly I think this has nothing to do with strikes.

Transformers was better than it had any right to be, and now that the establishment is out of the way we could get a head-on, balls-out sequel.

Star Trek is a definite for me at least, being a fan of the original crew. Simon Pegg as Scotty sealed the deal on this one.

Memorial Day Weekend is sucktacular. PG-13 Terminator movie or sequel to one of the past few years' most dreadful box-office hits? That Terminator spoiler sounded horrific enough.

The Hannah Montana Movie? Turn it off! Turrrrrrrrrrrrrn iiiiiiit offfffffffffffffffff!

Wolverine is another one that could go either way. The "X-Men Origins" moniker makes it sound like a bad short-lived TV show, but having Liev Schreiber and Danny Huston is a step in the right direction.

I'm anti-Live Free or Die Hard, but this A-Team movie potentially having a PG-13 rating doesn't bother me, as the show was cheesy enough and the former didn't deserve to be open to the masses. And no Mr. T is another disadvantage.

Public Enemies is probably the MVP right now. Michael Mann? Johnny Depp? Christian Bale? I'll be there opening day.

That new Ice Age is a complete clusterfuck of Darwin's studies.

No thanks for Angels and Demons, and given my hatred of the Pirates movies Prince of Persia will probably be no better. Jake Gyllenhaal as a Persian? Uh...yeah.

Fast and Furious? No. Nowhereland? Eddie Murphy hasn't made a good movie since Bowfinger.

As I said in a previous thread, if Denzel Washington can be half as badass as he is in Man on Fire in this Pelham remake, it'll be above-average.

Anything Apatow has my interest. The Sandler/Rogen project has plenty of potential.

If 2012 doesn't fall short of pretty bad I'll be stunned. If it finances another John Cusack-penned comedy I'll be fine.

Up is another potential winner for Pixar. Land of the Lost will probably be a bust.
Old 06-03-08, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm looking forward to...

-Up
-The Year One (Apatow is producing, so it should be decent enough)
-Adam Sandler & Apatow pairing up
-New Denzel movie
-Terminator 4 (disappointed that it is PG-13, I don't know why studios insist on doing this...the only people that truly care about Terminator are over 18 anyway)
Old 06-03-08, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Mittman

[I]A prequel to what was the worst film adaptation of solid source material I've seen in years -- yay!
Davinci code was horrible. I had a feeling it wouldn't translate well to the big screen. But Angels and Demons is different. The book reads like a great action adventure. I hope they dont screw it up.
Old 06-03-08, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Ice Age isn't until next summer? Wow. Why the fuck are there already standees in the theater? And my history is rusty but weren't dinosaurs around long before the ice age timeframe?
Old 06-03-08, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I liked Da Vinci Code. And for the record, McG said today that the film is not necessarily looking at a PG-13.
Old 06-03-08, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Doesn't seem any worse than this year which only has a few AAA titles (in my book).
Old 06-03-08, 10:44 PM
Banned

Public Enemies > all releases of Summer 2008.
Old 06-03-08, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts
Isn't John Singleton making the A-team Movie? He could potentially make it R-rated, bu then again its from Fox so that would never happen. Other than that I think I would only be interested in GI Joe, and Transformers 2.
Old 06-03-08, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Public Enemies

Depp + Bale + Mann = Gold.

Finished.
Old 06-03-08, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Ice Age isn't until next summer? Wow. Why the fuck are there already standees in the theater? And my history is rusty but weren't dinosaurs around long before the ice age timeframe?
That's what I was about to post! I thought it was in the next month or so. Not that I care. Never seen 1 or 2.
Old 06-03-08, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by MBoyd
That's what I was about to post! I thought it was in the next month or so. Not that I care. Never seen 1 or 2.
For non-Disney/Pixar, the first one is pretty solid. The second, not so much.
Old 06-03-08, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
The Wolfman and Magneto should also be enjoyable summer movies for 2009.
Old 06-03-08, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wolverine could be very good; it has the director of Tsosti on it. But that's assuming Fox doesn't get their hands on it and post-produce by committee instead of letting someone actually talented take charge.
Old 06-04-08, 12:01 AM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Arpeggi
Public Enemies > all releases of Summer 2008 besides Dark Knight
Old 06-04-08, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Well, the comic book movies won't be as good, but otherwise I'd say there's just as many I'm looking forward to as any other summer.

In terms of quality, I'd say summer 05 was the one that sticks out... Cinderella Man, Batman Begins and War of the Worlds were nearly perfect films for me.
Old 06-04-08, 01:36 AM

Star Trek, Transformers, Terminator, and maybe Wolverine for me...about the normal 3-4 movies I see a summer.
Old 06-04-08, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mittman
. . . because next years sounds bad. I'm going to reserve judgement until we get closer to time and trailers start coming out, but save for a few flicks it doesn't sound promising on paper. Here's what the studios are rolling out:
Not to be Debbie Downer but we are talking about a SEASON of movies a year away. The most we have to go off of is a few still pictures and the silly Ice Age guy chasing his nut again in a teaser. If movie's were to only look good on paper we would only read books.
Old 06-04-08, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds about as good as any summer does... Anyways, the only one Im really looking forward to at this point is The Taking of Pelham 123 just because a good friend of mine is in it and filming it right now so I hear about it all the time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.