Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

It's been 5 years, where is the DVD for Malaysia's THE PRINCESS OF MOUNT LEDANG?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

It's been 5 years, where is the DVD for Malaysia's THE PRINCESS OF MOUNT LEDANG?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-08, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was anyone else waiting to see this film and finally just forget about it? Does anyone know the status of this film being released in theaters or DVD?

I'm aware of the English subtitled VCD of this film that's available from Asia.

Here's the trailer for anyone that's curious about this film:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzIMPSgwuH0
Old 06-01-08, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I own only one VCD and this is it. Looks like I made the right call in picking up the VCD way back instead of waiting it out for a DVD release. As for the movie, I don't really recall much of it at all...didn't love it, didn't hate it, but other than that I'm drawing a blank...maybe it was just sort of average with the main point of interest being that it was "different" since it was Malaysian as opposed to being from China/HK, Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc.
Old 06-01-08, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Flixtime, how was the quality of the VCD?

I have learned not to watch VCDs because the poor quality of them can spoil the film - pixilation, amateurish burnt-in subtitles, etc....
Old 06-03-08, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

toddly, I'll try and watch twenty minutes or so of the VCD sometime today and then get back to you...though I don't think you should put much merit in A/V feedback from someone who is still perfectly content watching movies recorded on video cassette. But at least I can let you know about the subs I suppose.
Old 06-03-08, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
I remember watching Run Lola Run and Crouching Tiger on VCD during their respective releases (a couple years apart), fwiw I think they are comparable to VHS and don't really look awful, more than watchable after the first minute of adjustment (in this age of HD)

If the movie is strong enough, none of the potential technical issues will bother you.
Old 06-03-08, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

toddly, I watched about thirty-five minutes or so. The English subs are absolutely fine. They are white and in a large, pleasant font. They seem to be timed well and are a smooth read (certainly better than the subs on FATAL MOVE which just came out on HK DVD). They are burned-in and appear in the lower black border below the image (Chinese subs are also present and appear in the black above the English subs). I don't have a 16:9 TV so keep that in mind (might the subs be cut off if you attempt to zoom or such on a 16:9 set?). The picture seemed fine, though I have no reference point as it is the only VCD I recall ever viewing. As RichC2 noted, VHS quality seems a fairly accurate description. I watched it mostly on a 50+ inch screen and then also a 27-inch screen (neither 16:9). I thought it actually looked better on the bigger screen (and in a brighter room) than on the smaller screen in the darker room. Pixelation was more noticeable on the smaller screen but mostly related to things like fog, fields of black, and background detail...the primary visual info. looked decent for the most part. I suppose that picture quality might vary some depending on your viewing hardware and such.
Old 02-15-11, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: It's been 5 years, where is the DVD for Malaysia's THE PRINCESS OF MOUNT LEDANG?

Originally Posted by flixtime
toddly, I watched about thirty-five minutes or so. The English subs are absolutely fine. They are white and in a large, pleasant font. They seem to be timed well and are a smooth read (certainly better than the subs on FATAL MOVE which just came out on HK DVD). They are burned-in and appear in the lower black border below the image (Chinese subs are also present and appear in the black above the English subs). I don't have a 16:9 TV so keep that in mind (might the subs be cut off if you attempt to zoom or such on a 16:9 set?). The picture seemed fine, though I have no reference point as it is the only VCD I recall ever viewing. As RichC2 noted, VHS quality seems a fairly accurate description. I watched it mostly on a 50+ inch screen and then also a 27-inch screen (neither 16:9). I thought it actually looked better on the bigger screen (and in a brighter room) than on the smaller screen in the darker room. Pixelation was more noticeable on the smaller screen but mostly related to things like fog, fields of black, and background detail...the primary visual info. looked decent for the most part. I suppose that picture quality might vary some depending on your viewing hardware and such.
Hey Flixtime,
I bet you are never going to watch this VCD again - wanna sell or trade it to me? After 8 years, i'm tired of waiting for a DVD or blu-ray of this film!
Old 02-18-11, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

toddly, I actually want to hold on to my copy. I did use it once after this thread - though I didn't watch the whole movie myself - I had a visitor here and they wanted to watch some Asian swordplay-type films so I used this one, along with others from China/HK, Korea, Japan...BANG RAJAN from Thailand...and Director Asif Kapadia's THE WARRIOR (which is sort of from India). Just curious, have you watched THE WARRIOR yet? Back to THE PRINCESS OF MOUNT LEDANG, you can still pick up the VCD from Sensasian...$15.99 shipped to the U.S. Now I'm wondering if it might be the only Malaysian film I have...I must have another one or two...I should check to satisfy my curiosity.
Old 02-18-11, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: It's been 5 years, where is the DVD for Malaysia's THE PRINCESS OF MOUNT LEDANG?

toddly, I actually want to hold on to my copy. I did use it once after this thread - though I didn't watch the whole movie myself - I had a visitor here and they wanted to watch some Asian swordplay-type films so I used this one, along with others from China/HK, Korea, Japan...BANG RAJAN from Thailand...and Director Asif Kapadia's THE WARRIOR (which is sort of from India). Just curious, have you watched THE WARRIOR yet? Back to THE PRINCESS OF MOUNT LEDANG, you can still pick up the VCD from Sensasian...$15.99 shipped to the U.S. Now I'm wondering if it might be the only Malaysian film I have...I must have another one or two...I should check to satisfy my curiosity.
I know it's the only way to see this film, but I feel like there is no way I can pay over 10 bucks for a VCD - what a home video snob i've become!

I didn't see The Warrior yet. You think I would like it? I like Tibetan-type flicks and The Valley of Flowers..
Old 02-18-11, 01:25 PM

I see 9.99 and free shipping from Sensasian.
Old 02-18-11, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dleedlee
I see 9.99 and free shipping from Sensasian.
Is Sensasian quick and reliable?
Old 02-18-11, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

To qualify for the free shipping you'd need to place an order for at least $30, on top of that you'd need to have them all be from the same shipping origin...I believe, depending on what you order, Sensasian has warehouses in different countries. So, in this case, you'd need to find other items shipping from Malaysia.

I haven't used them in a while, but Sensasian is fine in terms of reliability (at least based on my handful of orders with them). Maybe try an e-mail just to confirm it is in-stock, and primarily to gauge their e-mail response time in order to put your mind at ease. In terms of speed, maybe comparable to ordering something from Thailand or maybe DDDHouse.

toddly, maybe THE WARRIOR would fall in to your "good enough to watch once" grade scale. It's a lower-budget, B-movie type offering when compared to something like VALLEY OF FLOWERS. Basically, maybe think a 1950's B-Western. It looks nice but it is primarily natural scenery and already exisiting rundown buildings...maybe fancied up by tossing some colorful fabric here and there. I quite liked the movie but I don't think you'd like it as much as I did.
Old 02-18-11, 05:21 PM

To qualify for the free shipping you'd need to place an order for at least $30, on top of that you'd need to have them all be from the same shipping origin...

About once a year, I usually make up a bundle out of a few Malaysian editions of Korean, HK or Mainland movies I need to catch up on so it isn't too hard to hit, for me. Stick to reliable labels like PMP, Golden Satellite, Speedy, e.g., Multimedia and Silver Media are likely to be bootlegs.

Some credit card issuers won't touch dealing with any company from Malaysia, so be aware.

Their stock status is usually reliable, don't know about their email replies.

Last edited by dleedlee; 02-18-11 at 05:30 PM.