Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Tribute to Eric Carr (KISS)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-08, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

I had the good fortune of meeting Eric Carr at the NAMM show in January, 1990. He was every bit as nice and down to earth as you've read - maybe even moreso. He was just another Rock fan who happened to get a good gig, and he never forgot that. (Of course, he was also a very talented Rock fan, but a fan nonetheless - he even asked me if I liked Aerosmith, and then proceeded in excited fan-like terms to tell me how KISS was negotiating for a possible Summer Stadium tour with Aerosmith. That tour didn't happen for another 13 years, but Eric was clearly a big fan and was really excited about the prospect of that tour.)

Anyway, Eric's been gone for over 16 years now, and I have a really hard time believing it's been that long. I'm almost the age Eric was when he died. Almost...

The most frustrating thing about Eric's death is how unlikely it was. The form of cancer that ended up killing him was extremely rare. I've read that as few as 5 or 6 people in the whole country will be diagnosed with it in any one year. (Malignant tumor on the heart itself.) He should still be here today - pushing 60, no less! - but still kicking ass!

Here's a video tribute I made from a song that SHOULD have been on the last album he did with KISS (it was better than 12 or 13 of the songs that DID make it on to the album, including Eric's own, "Little Caesar").

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mGnE13GxXfo"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mGnE13GxXfo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

By the way, Eric wrote the riffs and vocal melodies for this one, and played drums and bass on the track as well as doing the vocals.

Last edited by B5Erik; 05-31-08 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-31-08, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 913 Likes on 555 Posts
Thank you - I'm glad to see this is a tribute YOU made to Eric; I feared Gene had decided it was time to capitalize on his death.
Old 06-01-08, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Cool tribute. I always liked Eric, his drumming, his voice, and what he brought to Kiss. Long live the Fox.
Old 06-01-08, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dam that's a great song first time I have ever hear Eric singing.
Old 06-01-08, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cranberries fan
He also sang lead on "Beth" on Kiss - Smashes Thrashes & Hits CD instead of Peter Criss.
Old 06-02-08, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally Posted by cranberries fan
Check out Kissology Vol. 2, you can see him on lead vocals performing "Black Diamond" on their 1980 Australian tour.

He was damn good at it too.
Old 06-03-08, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
Eric also sang "Young and Wasted" on the Animalize tour (see the Animalize Live Uncensored home video).

I remember being at the San Diego concert on that tour and when the vocals started and Gene was nowhere near the mike I was really confused for a second - and then I noticed that Eric was singing. It was really cool.
Old 06-03-08, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Originally Posted by B5Erik
Here's a video tribute I made from a song that SHOULD have been on the last album he did with KISS (it was better than 12 or 13 of the songs that DID make it on to the album, including Eric's own, "Little Caesar").
I agree. Good song that should have been on the album. Thanks for the post.