Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PS3 Trophies (achievements) are coming ..and Bioshock expanded version for PS3

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-08, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PS3 Trophies (achievements) are coming ..and Bioshock expanded version for PS3

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=28071

"When the PlayStation 3 was launched, it was criticized for a number of reasons. One particular bone of contention was the fact that players had to quit a game to access the PS3's cross-media bar, commonly abbreviated as XMB. By contrast, the Xbox 360 allows players to access the Xbox Live blade in-game, letting players check up on friends and messages as well as peruse Xbox 360 achievements, while merely pausing the game.

Speaking of achievements, Sony also suffered a few slings and arrows following its presentation just before the 2007 Game Developers Conference. At the event, then-president of Worldwide Studios Phil Harrison revealed the PS3 would be getting "trophies" for in-game feats much like Xbox 360 Achievements. However, instead of resulting in a numerical score, said trophies would be displayed as three-dimensional statues in a trophy room in the PS3's avatar-based Home service.

While the recently delayed Home remains far off, this week evidence surfaced that PS3 trophies may be much nearer than expected. MaxConsole is proudly displaying cell phone photos (pictured) and video which it received from a user claiming to have access to a PS3 dev kit. Specifically, this dev kit was reportedly equipped with the v2.4 PS3 firmware upgrade, which--according to the poster--bestows the console both with trophies and an in-game XMB.

Though it was long known both features were in the cards, the purported firmware version number indicates they could be just around the corner. Sony released the v2.2 firmware update in mid-March and the v2.3 upgrade in mid-April. The last PS3 update, v2.35, was released on May 15--meaning the leap to v2.4 is mere weeks--or days--away.

Also of note is the fact the trophy-bestowing game shown in the shots appears to be the just-announced PS3 edition of BioShock, which is currently in development at 2K Games' Marin studio. That title--which will be an expanded version of the Xbox 360 and PC original--is due out in October, suggesting developers are already working trophies into 2008 releases."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_bl...stnews;title;0

~* ..and don't be a PS3 hater because I will PWN a11 Yu Noobs at Halo 3..lol
......JK

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Halo3/De...yer=VAMPYRE+XX
Old 05-30-08, 08:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by VAMPYRE XX
~* ..and don't be a PS3 hater because I will PWN a11 Yu Noobs at Halo 3..lol
......JK

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Halo3/De...yer=VAMPYRE+XX

That was mildly entertaining at first, but now you are just beating a dead horse.
Old 05-30-08, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Because we're only playing the 360 because of Achievements.
Old 05-30-08, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm guessing you're a Sony employee, hopefully in PR so we can get some hilarious damage control soon.
Old 05-30-08, 09:18 PM

Why do people that ONLY have a XBOX 360 to play games and/or ONLY a PS3 to play blu-ray constantly have to come into a thread that talks about PS3 and video games?... seriously... If it's something that I am not interested in to begin with, I would never even click on the thread, much less make a comment on it. Please only come in and make a comment about PS3 and video gaming if it is something that you are familiar with or interested in. To clarify, if you use your PS3 as a Blu-ray player only (which is perfectly fine) or only own a 360 and don't ever plan on buying a PS3...then why even comment in such a thread as this. Go do something that you are interested in instead of hating and arguing. If you have a valid argument or want to debate the issue, that is fine but do it with tact and make your case intelligently, please. Is that too much to ask here?

If you didn't already know I have a 360 also and currently I feel XBOX live has the best online gaming system...but I am also interested in the future of gaming and Sony is a huge company and have been the top gaming company through 2 generations (PS and PS2)....I want to keep up with Sony video game info and there are others out there like me. I am interested in any gaming system...even the Wii... Colecovision ..Neo Freeking Geo..or what freeking ever has games. worth playing..
Have a nice day
Old 05-30-08, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vampyre - You are yet again being condescending and making rash generalizations about things you obviously have no idea about. Where above did any of the posters talk about blu-ray, their PS3, or their 360? That's right - they didn't. Yet you continue to come in here and put people down and make assumptions which as the saying goes, generally make an ass out of you and Umption. And last time I spoke with Umption, she was pissed off because she kept feeling like an ass because of things other people did.

This VG forum is unlike almost all others on the net. We appreciate good discussion, value opinions, and don't resort to name calling, achievement score boasting, or games of one-up-manship when it comes to gaming.

If you'd like to be a member of this community who is listened to, and want to have good discussion with the rest of us adult gamers - please come in here like we are. Condescending attitudes will not get you very far and likely onto some ignore lists of members.
Old 05-30-08, 09:26 PM
Banned

Is that too much to ask here?
Yes.

Sony is a huge company and have been the top gaming company through 2 generations (PS and PS2)
What exactly is that supposed to prove? Nintendo was the reigning champ for 2 generations as well with the NES and SNES. They toppled from their perch.
Old 05-30-08, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
This VG forum is unlike almost all others on the net. We appreciate good discussion, value opinions, and don't resort to name calling, achievement score boasting, or games of one-up-manship when it comes to gaming.
And that's why VGTalk sucks!
Old 05-30-08, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://angrysonyfanboy.ytmnd.com/
Old 05-30-08, 10:00 PM

Anyways, back on topic.. Bioshock for the 360 looks great on my Home Theater so the new expanded version on PS3 will be an awesome playthrough again.

My current upstairs HT setup consists of:

Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD 60" Plasma
Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH HDMI 1.3 A/V reciever 7.1 surround
Bryston 4B ST power amplifier
Polk audio RTi150 fronts
Polk audio CSi40 center
Polk audio FXi30 surrounds
Polk audio RTi38 rears
Polk audio DSW PRO 500 sub
Sony PS3 60 gig Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD
Wii with component outs
Halo 3 Edition XBOX 360 (I won this by placing 1st in an Atlanta Halo 3 regional tournament) My other one is old and doesn't have an HDMI out so I use this one for this room.

Last edited by VAMPYRE XX; 05-30-08 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-30-08, 10:01 PM
Banned

Embarrassing.
Old 05-30-08, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I thought so far everyone has said the PS3 version of Bioshock doesn't look any better?
Old 05-30-08, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Arpeggi
Embarrassing.
Yes........lol............. Very embarrassing:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Halo3/De...yer=ArpeggiBMW

You knew that was coming..
I believe that was the response you were wanting?
Old 05-30-08, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Seriously, is there any reason for starting a thread like this (or the previous one for that matter) instead of putting it in the long-running PS3 thread?
Old 05-31-08, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes........lol............. Very embarrassing:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Halo3/De...yer=ArpeggiBMW

You knew that was coming..
I believe that was the response you were wanting?

Looking forward to these trophies and Home... I'll be getting a PS3 very soon (mostly for the Blu-Ray) but I do enjoy some of the knick-knacks the PS3 has.

I'm assuming the "extended" version of Bioshock is just the extra plasmid and tonics that were included in the downloadable content for the 360/PC.
Old 05-31-08, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus

Looking forward to these trophies and Home... I'll be getting a PS3 very soon (mostly for the Blu-Ray) but I do enjoy some of the knick-knacks the PS3 has.

I'm assuming the "extended" version of Bioshock is just the extra plasmid and tonics that were included in the downloadable content for the 360/PC.
Yes, me also. Hopefully they will be able to add the trophies system to the back catalog of games like Resistance, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, GTA4, COD4, etc...
By way of system updates perhaps.

Not sure, but from everything I have read it seems like they are actually adding more gameplay, like another chapter or something to the Bioshock story. It will be excellent news if they add more stuff. Seems like they will have to in order to get people who have already played it on PC and 360 to buy it.
Old 05-31-08, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
Ugh, another fucking repeat of the other days thread. Can we close this thread and ban Vampire?

I swear his threads are either the direction of his bosses at Sony or he's a troll.
Old 05-31-08, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Lock!!!
Old 05-31-08, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Vampyre - You are yet again being condescending and making rash generalizations about things you obviously have no idea about. Where above did any of the posters talk about blu-ray, their PS3, or their 360? That's right - they didn't. Yet you continue to come in here and put people down and make assumptions which as the saying goes, generally make an ass out of you and Umption. And last time I spoke with Umption, she was pissed off because she kept feeling like an ass because of things other people did.

If you'd like to be a member of this community who is listened to, and want to have good discussion with the rest of us adult gamers - please come in here like we are. Condescending attitudes will not get you very far and likely onto some ignore lists of members.
Vampyre - by reading this thread it looks like you missed this post of mine. Any more of your classic person bashing will be dealt with.