DVD Talk
Do you listen/read/watch the opinions of the "other side"? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Do you listen/read/watch the opinions of the "other side"?

GreenMonkey
05-29-08, 07:24 PM
Hey folks

Just wondering if folks listen to the "other side".

As a left-leaning libertarian I detest the Republicans in general these days, but I like to hear the opinions of the reasonable ones.

I find that when NPR isn't on the radio in the car, I turn on the channel that in the last few years became a Fox News Radio station. You know, fair and balanced...with Michael Savage, O'Reilly, Laura Ingram, etc. :lol:

Anyway I find that I like to listen to O'Reilly's show. I don't agree with the guy's viewpoints, mainly, but he seems like a fairly reasonable conservative talking head and I like to listen to what he has to say.

In the same respect I'll occasionally read a conservative opinion piece someone posts here and the like.

On the other hand, I was listening to Michael Savage's show one night and he was seriously screaming that all the liberals you see with anti-Iraq war T-shirts are secret child molestors. :lol: Seriously, it was sickening.

I also can't stand the rightwinger Fox news station and I avoid them like the plague.

EDIT: I forgot to add conservative/no and liberal/no. D'oh! Maybe someone could edit for me? please?

JasonF
05-29-08, 07:31 PM
Yes. I'm liberal, but will regularly seek out conservative opinion pieces (sometimes, I will admit, just so I can make fun of them). I have also been known to listen to Sean Hannity and Dennis Miller on occasion (though I listen to Rachel Maddow and Stephanie Miller more often).

Ky-Fi
05-29-08, 07:52 PM
I mostly watch either sports or DVDs at home, so I don't watch much of the news channels. I listen to a Boston FM talk station at work. From 9-12 its conservative Michael Graham, from 12-3 it's liberal Braude and centrist/lliberal Eagan, and at 3 it's libertarian Jay Severin. So I generally get a pretty good mix every day. They tend to mix in local issues and controversies along with the big news of the day, and I like that.

Baron Of Hell
05-29-08, 07:58 PM
Michael Savage is a cartoon, but he tends to be equally insulting to liberals and conservatives. I think some of his calls are fake also. I swear it sounds like one guy is calling up doing different voices.

SkullOrchard
05-29-08, 07:59 PM
I'm conservative, and old enough to remember when liberals actually said things worth listening to and considering. Unfortunately, those days are long gone.

To be fair, most conservative pundits in this day and age aren't much better.

yakuza70
05-29-08, 08:00 PM
I lean pretty far left but enjoy watching/listening to right wing radio and TV from time to time. While I agree with little I hear on those stations, I must admit, they are very entertaining. The only left leaning show that I really enjoy is Real Time with Bill Maher on HBO. Liberal radio is boring to listen to in my opinion.

Rockmjd23
05-29-08, 08:10 PM
Yep. As I said in the other thread, its my favorite way of reaffirming my own political beliefs.

DJLinus
05-29-08, 08:15 PM
I consider myself a right-leaning libertarian and I try not to confine myself to hearing just one viewpoint.

I used to regularly watch Bill Maher's show, despite the fact that the panel is stacked so heavily on the left that no real discourse can be made. I got tired of that and Maher's anti-religion crusade (yet I love Penn Jillette...go figure). Now it takes a guest that I'm really interested in to get me to watch it, though the "New Rules" segment is usually pretty funny.

I also catch "The Daily Show" every now and then, but a lot less than I used to. That's mainly because the quality of the correspondents has really gone downhill. "The Colbert Report" is still great, though.

Every week I listen to Slate's Political Gabfest (http://www.slate.com/id/2190470/) podcast, which leans left. They provide a good analysis on the news. Plus, I like the participants as personalities. I also listen to Slate's daily podcast, which is not always political.

Also, I try to watch the McLaughlin Group every week, but I always get the urge to punch Eleanor Clift in the face. She just seems so smug.

As for cable news channels, I can't really stand to watch the talking head shows. Too many people yelling over each other.

boo-ga
05-29-08, 08:29 PM
I'm a left-leaning middle-of-the-road type. I read papers daily (and the weeklies, too), and I watch both national (CNN & Headline News) and local news. I scan other news online (via Mac & cellphone). I get enough opinions from the right just living where I do (Texas), and I get more than enough Fox News for a LIFETIME every time my oil-baron father-in-law visits. But, hey, we very seldom talk politics (thank goodness his daughter, my wife, sees most issues as I do); I let him watch it round-the-clock when he's here, because, well, hey, he's an oil-baron....I'm sure her inheritance will be worth the right-wing-fest on my TV once in a while.

tommyp007
05-29-08, 08:50 PM
I'm pretty far to the left, but I do listen to "The John Gibson Show" in the ride home each evening. I agree with nothing, but his buffoonishness is highly entertaining. Then I get home and cleanse myself by watching Countdown with Olbermann. Go figure.

bhk
05-29-08, 09:03 PM
No need. I know libs better than they know themselves.

wendersfan
05-29-08, 09:04 PM
I have no side*, and I consume massive amounts of political information from all points of view, but generally from academics and decision makers who write for <i>Foreign Affairs</i> and publications like it.

* I don't really consider myself a libertarian anymore. I didn't leave the movement, but IMO the movement left me.

GreenMonkey
05-29-08, 09:30 PM
I consider myself a right-leaning libertarian and I try not to confine myself to hearing just one viewpoint.

I used to regularly watch Bill Maher's show, despite the fact that the panel is stacked so heavily on the left that no real discourse can be made. I got tired of that and Maher's anti-religion crusade (yet I love Penn Jillette...go figure). Now it takes a guest that I'm really interested in to get me to watch it, though the "New Rules" segment is usually pretty funny.

My wife had HBO for a few months so I watched Maher while she had it.

I sympathize with him on religion (agnostic myself with a strong religious upbringing) but I was amused how he ranted against prescription drugs as being poison. He seemed to have such blind beliefs against them for no good reason - IMO it seemed like his own personal religion.

classicman2
05-30-08, 06:55 AM
I see where 'centrist' is left out of the poll. I understand. Centrists are a rare breed on this forum. That's not true with the general population.

I'm interested in what's going on in the legislative branch. I watch CSPAN & CSPAN-2. I read The Hill, & The Congressional Quarterly.

Congressional coverage by the television networks is not very good, and that's being generous to them.

classicman2
05-30-08, 07:00 AM
Like wendersfan, I once 'consumed' lots of written material from numerous sources.

I now find that my time is taken up by the reading of The Bible, Shakespeare, Ernest Hemingway, & The Daily Racing Form.

VinVega
05-30-08, 07:11 AM
I listen to NPR and to Conservative Talk Radio, and I'll watch CNN and FOXNews so I guess I do listen to both sides of the issues. Sometimes both sides get to be a little too much, so I turn them off all together.

movielib
05-30-08, 07:30 AM
Yes, I am a libertarian and listen to both right wing and left wing talk radio, based on how "entertaining" they are. I find Stephanie Miller and Rush entertaining. I think lefty Ed Schultz and most right wing talk show hosts other than Rush (and local Milwaukee host Mark Belling) are boring.

coli
05-30-08, 08:08 AM
I am conservative, but I love listening to all opinions, because I think too many people get wrapped up in watching/listening to people on 'their' side and kinda lose the pulse of what is going on. Perfect example was during the Clinton/Lewinsky scandal many of my conservative friends couldn't understand why Clinton was still in office, and didn't realize that 67% of the people supported him. They were only hearing those 33% who call in Rush Limbaugh all day, and thought EVERYONE was against Clinton.

I love to watch O'Reilly, Chris Matthews, Abrams, and Larry King if he has a good guest, cause it always a soft-ball interview. I also love Bill Maher, even though he is stacking the deck in the last season cause he wants Obama to win so bad, although every show does turn into an anti-religion, Bush is a moron, the war is bad rant. As for talk radio, I am not in my car alot, but I like Bill Bennett, Laura Ingraham, and Michael Smerconish. Rush Limbaugh really annoys me anymore, and I did not like his position of telling Republicans to vote in the Dems primary, as that goes against everything a republican stands for.

classicman2
05-30-08, 08:36 AM
You don't think Chris Matthews wants Obama to win - and I mean, really wants him to win?

movielib
05-30-08, 08:44 AM
Like wendersfan, I once 'consumed' lots of written material from numerous sources.

I now find that my time is taken up by the reading of The Bible, Shakespeare, Ernest Hemingway, & The Daily Racing Form.
Isn't that a finite, fairly limited amount of material (except for the Racing Form)? Do you just keep reading the others over and over and over?

spainlinx0
05-30-08, 09:11 AM
It takes a while to turn all those large print pages.

orangecrush
05-30-08, 09:18 AM
Isn't that a finite, fairly limited amount of material (except for the Racing Form)? Do you just keep reading the others over and over and over?
It can take a while to pour though the big-print editions of those works ;)
edit: Beat to the punch.

I would probably be more in line with libertarians than conservatives, but the only thing I really listen to is meet the press and this week w/ George. The only columnist I like to read is George Will. I would probably read more liberal columnists if I could find one that writes as well as George Will. Although, I have had an atheist friend point me to a number of interesting pieces on the Huffington Post recently.

coli
05-30-08, 09:32 AM
You don't think Chris Matthews wants Obama to win - and I mean, really wants him to win?

Definitely, Matthews has never been a huge fan of the Clintons, even during the Bill Clinton days. He is an old fashioned liberal, and never gravitated to the 'new democrat' triangulation style Clinton did after the '94 elections.

eXcentris
05-30-08, 09:40 AM
I have no side*, and I consume massive amounts of political information from all points of view, but generally from academics and decision makers who write for <i>Foreign Affairs</i> and publications like it.

That's a good thing. One might have a politics leaning but thinking of issues in terms of "sides" is exactly what's wrong with the political discourse in America, i.e. it mostly sucks. Of course having "sides" is, by definition, confrontational so as far as the media are concerned, it sells.

Personally, I've come to loathe op-ed pieces. 99% of them are useless. They are fast food for the intellectually lazy and they kill critical thinking.

Superboy
05-30-08, 10:49 AM
I find the opinions of "my side" bad enough as it is, so I don't listen to anyone anymore.

Pharoh
05-30-08, 12:03 PM
Virtually all of my non-academic reading comes from the 'other side'. Though when one is seemingly on a island with just a few, that isn't too difficult to accomplish.

And yes, C-Man, I do subscribe and enjoy the National Intererst.

wendersfan
05-30-08, 12:04 PM
I do subscribe and enjoy the National Intererst.:up:

NotThatGuy
05-30-08, 04:29 PM
I'm a conservative, but I'll watch 'some' talking heads for the other side.....people like John Stewart and Stephen Colbert. I don't bother with most of the more hardcore wackos. I'll listen to conservatives too....though they get pretty monotonous.

I actually went to an Obama rally....because I wanted to hear him speak. It was interesting how they structured everything, much more progressive than what I was use to seeing. With that being said, I can see the appeal up until a point....ya know, when the issues matter.

Jason
05-30-08, 04:47 PM
I'd like to know where to go to get some actual conservative political thought. All I hear from right wing sources is trash talking of liberals/democrats/john mccain. Or is that all there is to the modern conservative movement?

Groucho
05-30-08, 04:50 PM
I am mild-mannered, left-leaning atheist who gives money to NPR. I like watching the more excitable conservative commentators out there because they all seem to think that people like me are somehow huge threats to America. Quite an ego boost, I can assure you. :lol:

cpgator
05-30-08, 05:18 PM
I'd like to know where to go to get some actual conservative political thought. All I hear from right wing sources is trash talking of liberals/democrats/john mccain. Or is that all there is to the modern conservative movement? :rolleyes:

dick_grayson
05-30-08, 05:18 PM
I only listen to the other side.

wendersfan
05-30-08, 05:21 PM
I'm a conservative, but I'll watch 'some' talking heads for the other side.....people like John Stewart and Stephen Colbert.So you like to get your liberal commentary from comedians? :lol:

movielib
05-30-08, 06:26 PM
I'd like to know where to go to get some actual conservative political thought. All I hear from right wing sources is trash talking of liberals/democrats/john mccain. Or is that all there is to the modern conservative movement?
All the good "conservative" commentators are libertarians. ;)

mostaccioli
05-31-08, 11:14 PM
i watch john stewart too.

NotThatGuy
06-01-08, 08:06 PM
So you like to get your liberal commentary from comedians? :lol:
Might as well, the vast majority of liberal ideas are pure comedy and shouldn't be taken seriously. :D

orangecrush
06-01-08, 11:00 PM
All the good "conservative" commentators are libertarians. ;)
I am beginning to completely believe this is true.

Red Dog
06-02-08, 07:48 AM
Given what 'my side' is, most of what I read is the 'other side.' ;)

macnorton
06-09-08, 07:04 PM
Yes I do. It is incredibly irresponsible to deplore one side of the argument when you don't even listen to it.

For instance, I hate Bill O'Riley, but I try to listen to everything the guy has to say before I rip into him. But at the same time, I also can't stand some of the people I like either (Al Franken for instance...he can work my nerves). But the point is, attack the issue not the mouth piece.

BKenn01
06-09-08, 07:26 PM
Isnt the problem really that there are only 2 sides with any power? On economics, the Republicans just tend to be Democrat Lite. They have no interest in dismantling govt. or even making it smaller. I know lots of people who would say the same of Dems (that they are Republican Lite).

As for listening to other points of view, I dont even care to listen to most so called Conservatives. Rush is an ego maniac, and Hannity seems to be vying for his spot once he retires.

I do like to listen to Laura Ingam. Mainly because she is smokin hot though.

Might as well, the vast majority of liberal ideas are pure comedy and shouldn't be taken seriously.

I dont know about the comedy part, but I have yet to see any idea that actually works.

hahn
06-09-08, 08:50 PM
Yeah, I do because it reaffirms that I am on the more sane side these days with far fewer assholes. Case in point: Fox News Anchor Calls The Obamas' Fist Pound A Terrorist Fist Jab (http://thinkprogress.org/2008/06/09/fox-news-anchor-calls-the-obamas-fist-pound-a-terrorist-fist-jab/)

Mr.Briggs
06-09-08, 10:27 PM
With regular network tv in reruns I find the best sitcoms on television on Fox News in primetime.

The Bus
06-10-08, 09:57 AM
I don't think I really have a side but I like to listen/read as many differing informed opinions as possible. Sometimes (for example, when reading Adbusters) there's a lot of chaff to go through to get to any good, practical ideas.

macnorton
06-10-08, 12:37 PM
Yeah, I do because it reaffirms that I am on the more sane side these days with far fewer assholes. Case in point: Fox News Anchor Calls The Obamas' Fist Pound A Terrorist Fist Jab (http://thinkprogress.org/2008/06/09/fox-news-anchor-calls-the-obamas-fist-pound-a-terrorist-fist-jab/)

Well said

hahn
06-11-08, 02:04 AM
Fox News Changes: "Terrorist Fist Jab" Anchor E.D. Hill Loses Her Show, Laura Ingraham In At 5PM (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/06/10/fox-news-changes-terroris_n_106306.html)

Oh well now that's a shame. She seemed like such a nice lady too.

crazyronin
06-11-08, 05:25 AM
ThinkProgress, Media Matters, and The Huffington Post is "listening to the other side" for hahn?

I must say that all your other posts have turned into brilliant satire. :up:

I stream Ed Schultz's show when I get home. I wish one of the talk radio stations would pick him up. Just to listen to the rabid social conservatives head's explode.

hahn
06-11-08, 10:13 AM
ThinkProgress, Media Matters, and The Huffington Post is "listening to the other side" for hahn?

I must say that all your other posts have turned into brilliant satire. :up:

I stream Ed Schultz's show when I get home. I wish one of the talk radio stations would pick him up. Just to listen to the rabid social conservatives head's explode.Well, I'd link to a foxnews.com reference if I could find one. Funny thing though, couldn't find a single reference about it. The video clip doesn't exist anymore. Same thing if you search for "terrorist fist jab". Hmm... I guess if only the "liberal media" outlets are printing these stories, they must not be true. :lol:

See? I not only listen to the other side, I BROWSE the other side too. So that I can know what they're saying and sometimes, what they're NOT saying. ;)

orangecrush
06-12-08, 08:53 AM
Far fewer?

Rosie O'Donnell? Bill Mahrer? Phil Donahue? Al Franken? Bryant Gumbel?

And the list goes on and on...and would be longer were liberal talk shows able to stay on the air without being cancelled abruptly.
I never thought of Bryant Gumbel as being a jerk. I agree with the first 4 though.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0