New $4.88 Father's Day Display At Walmart: Fox War, Action, Western Titles

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

New $4.88 Father's Day Display At Walmart: Fox War, Action, Western Titles

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-08, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New $4.88 (And Up) Father's Day Display At Walmart: Fox War, Action, Western Titles

At a Walmart Superstore tonight, I saw a new Father's Day display of $4.88 20th Century Fox DVDs. The DVDs were in a free-standing cardboard display in front of the electronics section.

The display had apparently just been set out today (Monday) as it didn't even have any signs or prices on it yet.

I took a handful of DVDs to the scanner and all scanned at $4.88.

The display contained a mixture of war, action, and western titles.

The action titles comprised the bulk of the display in the center section but were mostly standard fare like Jet Li movies, Speed, Speed 2, etc. I did see Tony Rome (Frank Sinatra) and the original version of Vanishing Point.

The war flicks were more interesting with a number of classic titles (including some from the Fox War Classics series):

Halls Of Montezuma
Sink The Bismarck!
A Wing And A Prayer
Crash Dive
Von Ryan's Express
To The Shores Of Tripoli
Morituri
Tora! Tora! Tora! (the old single disc version), etc.

There were also about ten copies of the 2-disc special edition box set of The Sand Pebbles (Steve McQueen) in the display but they scanned at $14.44 each. It may be that the sale price hadn't been entered into the system yet.

I suppose I could have tried to buy one and make the argument to a clerk that they should have been the same price as the other DVDs in the display, but as the display actually didn't even have a price on it yet, I decided to wait.

The westerns included some really good titles:

Yellow Sky
The Bravados (the preceding two titles are both classic Gregory Peck westerns and are highly recommended)
Broken Arrow (James Stewart)
100 Rifles (Raquel Welch)
Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid Special Edition
Buffalo Bill (Joel McCrea)
The Proud Ones (Robert Ryan)
Warlock (Richard Widmark, Henry Fonda, Anthony Quinn - with Star Trek's DeForest Kelley as "Curley Burne" in an early "Western weasel" villainous role - one of my most prized possessions is an autographed picture of Kelley in western get-up from this movie)
Forty Guns (Barbara Stanwyck (directed by Samuel Fuller)
Broken Lance (Spencer Tracy)
The Ox-Bow Incident (Henry Fonda - Fox Studio Classics edition)
My Darling Clementine (Henry Fonda - Fox Studio Classics edition)
North To Alaska (John Wayne)
The Undefeated (John Wayne)
The Comancheros (John Wayne), etc.

Last edited by Autolycus; 06-07-08 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-27-08, 11:34 PM

Anyone see this in the Northern, VA area?
Old 05-28-08, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks, I'm going to take a trip and see what I find.
Old 05-28-08, 08:26 AM

Thanks Auto for your detailed list of titles. I am going to head over tomorrow and check out the movies.
Old 05-28-08, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Crap - I found none of those titles at our Walmart.
Old 05-28-08, 07:53 PM

Hmm...might check this out for Vanishing Point.

Thanks!
Old 05-28-08, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the info...I'll check it out next time I go to Wal-Mart
Old 05-28-08, 09:28 PM

Not up at Fair Lakes, VA
Old 05-29-08, 02:38 AM

Thanks, Autolycus, for the original post...I just got The Ox-Bow Incident and Von Ryan's Express at the Honolulu (Keeaumoku St.) Walmart for $4.88 each!
Old 05-29-08, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Checked my local Wally World and they only have the 2/$10 packs. The ones I remember:

Man of the West/The Westerner
El Dorado/Rio Lobo
Comancheros/The Undefeated
Horse Soldiers/Red River
Broken Arrow/Hombre
The Great Escape/Magnificent 7 (old single disc versions).

They also had the Magnificent 7 collection for $10.
Old 05-29-08, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
El Dorado/Rio Lobo
Horse Soldiers/Red River
Isn't that odd. One set is put out by Paramount, another by FOX, and the last by MGM....and yet they are all priced exactly the same.

Well, besides that...it's an excellent deal for some great John Wayne movies!
Old 05-29-08, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara

Checked my local Wally World and they only have the 2/$10 packs. The ones I remember:

Man of the West/The Westerner
El Dorado/Rio Lobo
Horse Soldiers/Red River
Broken Arrow/Hombre
The Great Escape/Magnificent 7 (old single disc versions).

They also had the Magnificent 7 collection for $10.
Originally Posted by ken_572002
Isn't that odd. One set is put out by Paramount, another by FOX, and the last by MGM....and yet they are all priced exactly the same.

Well, besides that...it's an excellent deal for some great John Wayne movies!
At the Walmarts in our area, The Comancheros is paired in a 2/$10 Father's Day pack with North To Alaska, rather than in a two-pack with The Undefeated.

The Comancheros and North To Alaska (and The Undefeated) are all part of the new $4.88 Father's Day display so you can save a little bit of money by buying them that way instead of the two pack (assuming your Walmart gets the $4.88 display!).
Old 05-30-08, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Went to Walmart in Oklahoma City and saw nothing regarding this sale.

I did however saw a bunch of titles for $5 or 2 for $10 as they call it.

Notables include:

Hang 'Em High
The Good, the Bad & the Ugly
My Cousin Viny - Award Series
Stand by Me
The Doors SE
Witness
The Grudge (US)
Throw Momma from the Train
Rudy
Mommie Dearest
On Golden Pond
Airplane
Footloose
Meet Joe Black
Young Guns SE
Secret Window
Hunted
A Fistfull of Dollars
Stephen King's Rose Red
Thelma & Louise
Rambo & Rocky Series Individual DVDs
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Uncle Buck
Tears of the Sun
A Rivers Runs Through It
Spaceballs
U-571
Legends of the Fall
A Perfect Murder
The Thin Red Line
MI-2
X-Men
X2
Requiem for a Dream
Old 05-30-08, 03:57 PM

They have this display in Western NC, but quite a few of the dvd''s were priced differently on the case...and rang up so. The pebbles set was 14 as you said, speed 2 and speed was 6.88 and quite a few western's such as butch cassidy were 7.50
Old 05-30-08, 04:11 PM

At the Swansea Mass. Wal-Mart, their display had a number of different prices as das1330 suggests. I saw $4.88, $5.00, $5.96, $6.88 and $7.50 as well as the $14.44 for the 2 disc Sand Pebbles. I concentrated on widescreen $4.88 titles and wound up getting the old westerns........

Warlock
The Bravados
100 Rifles
Forty Guns
and Broken Lance

As well as two Sinatra classics.......

Tony Rome
and Von Ryan's Express
Old 05-30-08, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
The one store I have checked here has the display without a price anywhere. I picked up 7 titles and all but 2 were $6.88 or $7.50. I called them on the price but the electronics dept. was firm in that they were "all $7.50" which is bull as 3 rang up less! Anyway, I purchased the 2 that were $4.88 and left the rest.

For those keeping score:

$4.88 titles: "The Man with One Red Shoe" and "Von Ryan's Express"
$6.88 title: "Broken Arrow" (James Stewart)
$7.50 titles: "Tora, Tora, Tora", "North to Alaska", "My Darling Clementine", and "Sink the Bismark"

I have 2 other stores to check. Maybe one of them is a bit clueless and has them all for $4.88...
Old 05-30-08, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Priced 3 DVD's at a Wal-Mart near me. Sand Pebbles was $14.44, The Comancheros was $7.50, and 100 Rifles was $4.88. I only bought 100 Rifles.
Old 05-31-08, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
The one store I have checked here has the display without a price anywhere. I picked up 7 titles and all but 2 were $6.88 or $7.50. I called them on the price but the electronics dept. was firm in that they were "all $7.50" which is bull as 3 rang up less! Anyway, I purchased the 2 that were $4.88 and left the rest.

For those keeping score:

$4.88 titles: "The Man with One Red Shoe" and "Von Ryan's Express"
$6.88 title: "Broken Arrow" (James Stewart)
$7.50 titles: "Tora, Tora, Tora", "North to Alaska", "My Darling Clementine", and "Sink the Bismark"

I have 2 other stores to check. Maybe one of them is a bit clueless and has them all for $4.88...
Sorry that all of these haven't turned out to be $4.88.

As I noted in my original post, the display I saw (in a Super Walmart) had just been set up and there were no prices on the DVDs or on the display. In the past, most of the free-standing Walmart displays of this type have had uniform prices.

The handful of DVDs I had time to scan (Tony Rome, Von Ryan's Express, The Bravados, Yellow Sky, A Wing And A Prayer, Warlock) were all $4.88, except The Sand Pebbles (which I had also checked), so I assumed (incorrectly it seems) that the rest would be the same price.

If the John Wayne movies are priced at $7.50 in this display, then I was wrong and it would be cheaper to buy them in the 2/$10 packs.
Old 05-31-08, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Autolycus

As I noted in my original post, the display I saw (in a Super Walmart) had just been set up and there were no prices on the DVDs or on the display. In the past, most of the free-standing Walmart displays of this type have had uniform prices.

The handful of DVDs I had time to scan (Tony Rome, Von Ryan's Express, The Bravados, Yellow Sky, A Wing And A Prayer, Warlock) were all $4.88, except The Sand Pebbles (which I had also checked), so I assumed (incorrectly it seems) that the rest would be the same price.

If the John Wayne movies are priced at $7.50 in this display, then I was wrong and it would be cheaper to buy them in the 2/$10 packs.
No need to apologize, it's not your fault Wal-marts apparently price things with no uniformity. I remember "Yellow Sky" was one of the $7.50 titles at the WM I checked. Thanks for bringing the sale to my attention. It's been awhile since seeing a sale display that WASN'T the infamous $5.00 bin.
Old 05-31-08, 08:49 AM

The Bolingbrook WM has it up now. However they put it in between 2 other displays, so you can only see a few of the War films on one side and the side with all the westerns are blocked by a display on the right.

In case anyone was interested, the Speed films are the one disc editions. However Speed does have an audio commentary.

The remake of Flight of the Phoenix is Full Screen only.

I managed to get them to lower the price of a dvd that rang up at $7.50, down to $5.

I would like to try and get them to match the $5 price on the 2 disc Sand Pebbles, but somehow I think they would put up a big fuss over a $10 lowering in sale price.

I think they also had ID4, Aliens: SE and I Robot in the display as well.
Old 05-31-08, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Autolycus

No need to appologize! The display at the store I visited was in the same state as you mentioned. There were no prices on it and it looked to have been recently setup. If anyone should appologize it's the WM stores who do not have these titles properly marked!
Old 05-31-08, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Fenton MO. store has these now, same as everyone else, no prices. Had to have a few scanned to find the 4.88 dvds.
Old 06-01-08, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Checked a 2nd store today. The display has not been put up. This store sometimes is very late and has only about a 50% rate on even getting the displays like these.
Old 06-01-08, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
no display at my WM today...I asked if they had any special Father's day $4.88 display and they just shrugged no.

but they had the "My dad is a..." specials in one of the regular racks next to blu rays. Picked up the Apocalypse Now Dossier for $10 - never got around to getting that. The Cooper, John Wayne and a bunch of other 2 packs were $10 as well.

Can anyone confirm the original Vanishing Point at $4.88? that's the one i REALLY want.
Old 06-01-08, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I picked up VANISHING POINT for $4.88 in Fenton, MO this morning. The cardboard display had price tags in front of each individual dvd title. Not all are $4.88. I saw price points of $4.88, $5.00, $6.88 and $7.50.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.