Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The National - A Skin, A Night & the Virginia EP

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 05-27-08, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

1. "You've Done It Again, Virginia" - 3:09
2. "Santa Clara" - 4:05
3. "Blank Slate" - 3:15
4. "Tall Saint" (demo) - 3:44
5. "Without Permission" - 3:37
6. "Forever After Days" (demo) - 3:01
7. "Rest of Years" (demo) - 3:40
8. "Slow Show" (demo) - 3:28
9. "Lucky You" (Daytrotter session) - 3:56
10. "Mansion on the Hill" (live) - 4:38
11. "Fake Empire" (live) - 3:41
12. "About Today" (live) - 8:25

This CD/DVD release totally flew under my radar when it came out last week, but my copy finally arrived in the mail today. Their Boxer was one of my favorite albums of last year, so I'm looking forward to watching the doc about the making of it (despite the fact that I've heard it's a bit too artsy fartsy for its own good). I'll get to the music tomorrow.

And 12 songs totaling almost 50 minutes...that's considered an EP?!

Anyone else pick this up? Thoughts?
Old 05-28-08, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I actually just got around to listening to The Boxer recently. I have the bad habit of going back and immediately hearing tracks I love over and over. I can rarely get past "Mistaken for Strangers"...
Old 05-28-08, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Mistaken For Strangers" is a great song, isn't it?

I didn't know anything about this EP/DVD release until I saw this thread just now. I'll have to check it out. Thanks OP!
Old 05-28-08, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just bought this on Sunday night when I saw the national out in Bend. That's the first thing I said to the ol' lady too - "An EP with 12 songs?! That rules!" then she looked at me like I was a tard, and I told her to STFU. Then she bought me Boxer on vinyl. The tunes are good, and I haven't had a chance to check out the film yet though.
Old 05-28-08, 04:26 PM

I wanted to check this out for the DVD but from what I read it's more of an arsty shot vincent moon piece than it is a documentary, of course I will still pick it up though.
Old 05-28-08, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Most of the songs on the EP have been available elsewhere before, so that's one reason this release may not be as notable as one would expect from a band that received so much attention over the past year. Still, I suppose it's nice to have them all in one place...
Old 05-28-08, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 215 Likes on 154 Posts
Definitely on my wishlist... heard a few songs on the radio and thought they were great.

Edit: Just got it as it's $12.99 on Amazon right now.

Last edited by Artman; 05-28-08 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-28-08, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I downloaded the "EP" from iTunes since the film sounded pretty self-indulgent to me (on the part of the filmmaker, not the band.) The album is incredible - I've been listening to it non-stop since this weekend. The version of "Lucky You" sounds like a brand new song to me, even though it's not that different from the original. Incredible stuff. And The National covering a Springsteen song ... absolutely perfect.
Old 05-29-08, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 126 Posts
Picked this up at Best Buy last night. It's on sale for $12.99 this week if anyone else is still looking for it. I'm not overly interested in the film, but am a big enough fan of the band that the 12-song EP more than justifies the purchase. On first listen, it's a solid disc of material.
Old 05-29-08, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the BB pricing. Picked this up today. Is it just me or is the packaging terrible?
Old 05-29-08, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
So, I checked a local venue's concert calendar this afternoon and it says that they're playing here in Richmond next month (funnily enough, the venue's also called The National)!!! I imagine I'll go - heck it's only $15 plus the usual Ticketmaster ass raping. The live tracks on this "EP" sound good. Anyone ever see them live?

Originally Posted by auto
Thanks for the heads up on the BB pricing. Picked this up today. Is it just me or is the packaging terrible?
The packaging is terrible. I ordered mine from Best Buy online and received a copy that was kind of beat up and creased. But like my Mom always said, it's what's on the inside that counts.
Old 05-30-08, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by DJLinus
So, I checked a local venue's concert calendar this afternoon and it says that they're playing here in Richmond next month (funnily enough, the venue's also called The National)!!! I imagine I'll go - heck it's only $15 plus the usual Ticketmaster ass raping. The live tracks on this "EP" sound good. Anyone ever see them live?
I saw them a couple years back when they were touring for Alligator. They put on a fantastic show. For $15, you can't go wrong.
Old 05-30-08, 10:20 AM

i've seen them 3 times, one of the best live rock bands out there.
mr. november is always good times live.