Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Sigur Rós — Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust (2008)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-08, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Album art PG-13 NSFW:

Spoiler:

með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust
June 24 US | June 23 UK

Tracklist:
01 Gobbledigook
02 Inní mér syngur vitleysingur
03 Góðan daginn
04 Við spilum endalaust
05 Festival
06 Með suð í eyrum
07 Ára bátur
08 Illgresi
09 Fljótavík
10 Straumnes
11 All Alright

New song launches on their website in about 15 minutes (2:30PM EST).

US & Tijuana tour dates:

06-08 Tijuana, Mexico - Multiculti
06-11 Omaha, NE - Orpheum Theater
06-12 Kansas City, MO - Uptown Theater
06-14 Manchester, TN - Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival
06-16 New York, NY - Grand Ballroom

I've seen them live before. It's a cool experience but nothing I would necessarily repeat.
Old 05-27-08, 01:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Must buy for me.
I swear this year has been awesome for artists/bands that I love releasing new material.
AImee Mann. NIN, The Cure, Elvis Costello, etc. and now Sigur Rós. I cant wait.
Old 05-27-08, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

New song is up. Seems different from their previous output: faster paced, more immediate. Interesting turn for a band that was beginning to bore me:

http://www.sigurros.com/dvd3.asp
Old 05-27-08, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I'll definitley be getting this. Thanks for posting the song download. Its...interesting. I need to give it a couple more spins.
Old 05-27-08, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a sucker for Sigur Ros, so I'll end up buying it...

Are there English lyrics on some of the new stuff? Also, despite the fact that I don't speak Icelandic, it would be nice to know that they're singing in a real language. They've got to ditch that "Hopelandic" crap.
Old 05-27-08, 04:06 PM

the video is pretty fun with skinny naked people running around through the woods
Old 05-27-08, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'll pick this up. Seeing them live was pretty amazing IMO. I was about 3 rows back at the Michigan Theatre in Ann Arbor. Fantastic show.
Old 05-27-08, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
I've been trying to get into Sigur Ros for years. I like what I hear but I've never purchased any of their CD's. I may change that soon.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 05-28-08 at 07:42 AM.
Old 05-27-08, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I've been trying to get in Sigur Ros for years. I like what I hear but I've never purchased any of their CD's.
I think Ágætis Byrjun is one of the best albums.
Old 05-27-08, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Are there English lyrics on some of the new stuff? Also, despite the fact that I don't speak Icelandic, it would be nice to know that they're singing in a real language. They've got to ditch that "Hopelandic" crap.
The last track, "All Alright," is indeed in English.

I'm perplexed though. You don't speak/understand Icelandic, so why should it matter if they're singing in gibberish? I find I don't care either way, since I listen to this band for the music anyway.

I'm on the fence about this album though. The last album I bought was Takk and it didn't resonate with me the way their older material does.
Old 05-27-08, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll buy anything they put out, thanks for the info!
Old 05-28-08, 06:52 AM

I'm approaching this skeptically - I adore "Agaetis Byrjun" and rank the show I saw on that tour as one of my favorite concert going experiences, but nothing since then has really grabbed me. From listening to the single, however, I'm very excited to hear they've branched out a bit and are trying something new - I can't decide if it's fantastic or awful yet, but it definately intrigued me.
Old 05-28-08, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FatTony
I'm perplexed though. You don't speak/understand Icelandic, so why should it matter if they're singing in gibberish? I find I don't care either way, since I listen to this band for the music anyway.
It's a mental thing. I'd find it easier to live with all the preening cooing if I knew it was actually words from an actual language. If it's just made-up baby talk, the whole thing just seems a little too precious and pretentious.

I love Sigur Ros and spent many months listening to their first three albums almost exclusively, but sometimes I want to grab Jonsi by the face and yell at him "be a man!!!" a la The Godfather.

I'm on the fence about this album though. The last album I bought was Takk and it didn't resonate with me the way their older material does.
I much preferred Takk to "()" and the two EPs are not to be missed, IMO.
Old 05-28-08, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Hiro11: So you don't ascribe language to it? I do. It's not clear what he's singing about but it's clear how we feels, or to paraphrase Ebert, how we sings about it. To me at least, it's pretty clear he's saying, "It's you" in "Svefn-G-Englar".
Old 05-28-08, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
New song is up. Seems different from their previous output: faster paced, more immediate. Interesting turn for a band that was beginning to bore me:

http://www.sigurros.com/dvd3.asp
Let's hope the whole thing isn't an Animal Collective rip off
Old 05-28-08, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't love it but I still like it. I soooo want to see them in concert. Here's hoping that they have a bigger US tour later.
Old 05-28-08, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
I've got Hvarf/Heim, are there others that sound close to that? I was thinking of getting Takk...
Old 05-29-08, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I much preferred Takk to "()" and the two EPs are not to be missed, IMO.
Well, to each their own. ( ) is the album that got me into this band and is still my favorite, by far. I might have to check out the EPs though, since I totally forgot about them.
Old 06-03-08, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Looks like the band is the latest to take the staggered release route:

CD Album + Album Download (*price £14.00) Receive the album download + bonus videos a week early on 16th June CD will arrive the week of 23rd June

CD Album (*price £12.00)
CD will arrive the week of 23rd June

Album Download (*price £8.00)
DRM free 320kbps mp3's available week of 23rd June

Deluxe Edition (*price £60.00)
Pre-release album download + bonus videos available on 16th June CD will arrive the week of 23rd June Deluxe Edition will arrive mid-September

192-pages. 300 mm x 240 mm. Includes CD of Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust and exclusive DVD.

This exquisitely presented deluxe edition is a unique document of the creation of Sigur Rós' fifth album in film, photography and music. Given unprecedented access to the final stages of the making and release of the group's new album, photographer Eva Vermandel and film-maker Nicholas Abrahams create an intimate and revealing portrait of the Icelandic quartet at work on their most immediate record to date. Housed in a large-format, fine weave cloth-bound hardback book, the deluxe edition comprises nearly 200 pages of fine art photographic images, as well as an impressionistic film portrait of Sigur Rós, as they record, mix and master Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust. Locations include New York, London, Mexico, Reykjavik and beyond, and take in the filming of the "Gobbledigook" video, tour rehearsals, the early shows on the tour, as well as exclusive band interviews relating to the record. Each edition is individually numbered and includes a unique strip of 16mm film taken from the video "Gobbledigook" as well as the DVD and album.
Old 06-05-08, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Album is available to be sampled.
Old 06-05-08, 08:57 PM
Banned

What do you mean?
Old 06-05-08, 09:04 PM
Banned

^My guess: The 30 second clips from each track are available to listen to at Amazon.
Old 06-06-08, 11:40 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 108 Likes on 97 Posts
COME ONE, COME ALL!

got this email from icelandair.,

Join Björk and Sigur Rós at a free outdoor concert in Reykjavik on June 28! This momentous event will focus on awareness of the environment in Iceland. Ólöf Arnalds and other performers are to appear. More details will be released shortly.

Björk and Sigur Rós will also be teaming up to create an Iceland-centric environmental website, with hopes of moving Iceland to the forefront of conservation initiatives.

Make your plans for travel to Iceland now... this is sure to be a packed event, and one you don't want to miss!
Old 06-06-08, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm a sucker for Sigur Ros, so I'll end up buying it...

I thought they ditched Hopelandic for Takk...

I'm pretty sure Takk was sung in Icelandic.
Old 06-11-08, 10:35 PM

It's available to stream now via last.fm -

On first listen, I find it infinitely more interesting and enjoyable than "( )" and especially "Takk...". A completely different sound for them, but at the same time it is obviously a Sigur Ros record. I'm glad they finally got here - I hated that a band that could great something so amazing and powerful as "Agaetis Byrjun" was turning out to be a one trick pony.

Hooray!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.