DVD Talk
So you just became Governor of New York what are you going to do? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : So you just became Governor of New York what are you going to do?

CPA-ESQ.
05-27-08, 10:26 AM
ALBANY, N.Y. - New York Gov. David Paterson is granting a full and unconditional pardon to rapper Ricky "Slick Rick" Walters for the attempted murders of two men in 1991.

The pardon is expected to halt efforts to deport Walters to the United Kingdom, the country he left as a child.

The eyepatch-wearing star behind the '80s rap classic "La-Di-Da-Di" served more than five years in prison after the shooting of his cousin and another man. Both survived.

The governor says Walters is now a rap artist and landlord in the Bronx who hasn't had any criminal problems since his release from prison in 1997. He also says Walters has volunteered to counsel youths against violence.

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080523/capt.c834b22d98ad445ebf5a7b95c966339a.patterson_slick_rick_nyet133.jpg?x=180&y=252&q=85&sig=p9yKsnPEKG5gb1Cqv82qug--

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080523/ap_en_ot/paterson_slick_rick

Groucho
05-27-08, 10:28 AM
The governor says Walters is now a rap artist and landlord in the Bronx who hasn't had any criminal problems since his release from prison in 1997.Is the governor pardoning all former criminals who haven't had problems for ten years or just hip hop artists?

The Bus
05-27-08, 10:29 AM
Holy cow!

Slick Rick is British?

Tarantino
05-27-08, 10:31 AM
Holy cow!

Slick Rick is a pirate?

= J

Rockmjd23
05-27-08, 10:32 AM
Is the governor pardoning all former criminals who haven't had problems for ten years or just hip hop artists?
Since the governor is legally blind, I suspect it's all former criminals with eye problems. Notice the eye-patch.

JasonF
05-27-08, 11:33 AM
I would guess the pardon is intended to stop the deportation. I'd like to know why they're trying to deport him now if he's been a productive member of society for the last ten years.

BuddhaWake
05-27-08, 11:42 AM
i thought it was because of the patriot act. if you commit a crime (felony) I think they can deport your ass. that was my understanding when all this came out at first.

JasonF
05-27-08, 11:55 AM
i thought it was because of the patriot act. if you commit a crime (felony) I think they can deport your ass. that was my understanding when all this came out at first.

They "can" do a lot of things. My question is why they chose to try to deport Walters now.

BuddhaWake
05-27-08, 01:23 PM
they have been deporting him for years.
http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/Music/10/27/slick.rick.ap/index.html
from 2003

'Slick Rick' speaks from behind bars

I'll leave it in God's hands.
-- Ricky "Slick Rick" Walters

NEW YORK (AP) --Sitting in a Florida jail cell, fighting his deportation, Ricky "Slick Rick" Walters counts the days.

He ran out of fingers a long time ago. The Hip-Hop Hall of Fame inductee is into his 17th month behind bars, with no end in sight despite extensive legal efforts and appeals from friends like comedian Chris Rock, actor Will Smith and the Rev. Jesse Jackson.

"It's the same old, same old," the voice behind the classic hit "La-Di-Da-Di" said by phone from a federal detention facility in Bradenton, Florida. "Wake up, eat breakfast. Do a little exercise, try to keep yourself together. Call your wife.

"Stay positive."

It's tough in the face of endless negativity. Since his June 2002 jailing, Walters has awaited word on whether he can return to his home and two sons in the Bronx -- or if he'll face deportation to his birthplace of England. He sees his wife, Mandy, just once a month.

Walters' supporters have called for the rap star's release pending resolution of his case. Others believe he is an undeserving victim of the government's post-September 11 immigration crackdown.

"Of course that factored in," said hip-hop mogul Russell Simmons, whose Def Jam record label released Waters' classic album "The Adventures of Slick Rick" in 1988. "Fear and anger are the motivating forces in the government campaign against immigrants' right."

Walters, in more measured terms, agreed.

"I'm not a politician or a lawyer," Walters said. "I can just speculate on the reason. But I'll put it out to the public: Somebody waiting for months on a yes or no question, and there's no answer?"

It was spring 2002 when Walters, now 38, left Florida for a weeklong performance gig aboard a cruise ship. He was arrested by Immigration and Naturalization Service agents upon returning to port.

The INS wanted Walters deported under a 1996 law calling for the exile of foreigners convicted of "aggravated felonies." Walters did five years on a 1991 attempted murder conviction after shooting his cousin and a bystander, claiming the cousin had extorted money and threatened the rapper's family.

INS officials cited a 1997 order to deport Walters, although his attorney, Alex Solomiany, suggested Walters' exemplary post-prison life should be a mitigating factor.

After his '90s prison term, Walters resettled in the Bronx with his wife and two children, buying a pair of apartment buildings (he's paying property taxes while jailed). He also resumed the music career that began so memorably in the 1980s.

A case like no other
The London native first moved to the Bronx at 11, pairing with seminal rap figure Doug E. Fresh on "La-Di-Da-Di" and "The Show." With his eye patch, distinctive accent and Mr. T-style jewelry, "The Great Adventures of Slick Rick" went platinum and made Rick a star.

Then came the conviction.

In an odd twist, Walters' status is in the hands of U.S. District Judge Kimba Wood -- a Manhattan jurist familiar with immigration problems.

In 1993, she dropped out of the running for U.S. attorney general when it was revealed she had hired an illegal immigrant as her nanny.

"Nothing about this case," Solomiany said, "is normal."

Walters' appeal could become a test case for others, including one-time New York nightclub impresario Peter Gatien, who was deported to Canada this year for a 1999 tax evasion conviction.

Solomiany said Wood was aware of both the case and Walters' lengthy jail stay. Walters didn't blame the judge, citing her December 2002 decision blocking his deportation.

"I still have love for the judge, 'cause if it wasn't for the judge, I'd be gone," he said. "She must have her hands tied behind her back with some political garbage."

This spring, as Walters approached his first anniversary behind bars, he wrote Wood a personal note.

"Heart to heart, cutting out all politics," Walters said. "Just talking raw: This is my situation, this is what I'm in jail for."

Walters never heard a response. Solomiany said Wood's office has cited a "heavy docket" for the delay. Walters, despite his second stay behind bars, was resigned to keep counting the days.

"Whatever happens, happens," he said. "I'll leave it in God's hands."

Sean O'Hara
05-27-08, 01:36 PM
Holy cow!

Slick Rick is a pirate?

With stunning fashion sense.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0