Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Just watched Mulholland Dr. for the first time...garbage

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-08, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seriously, one of the worst movies I've ever seen. The story makes NO sense at all, was poorly paced, and was just a gigantic waste of time. I can't believe people actually like this movie???!?! An incoherent piece of garbage, but I'll give it half a star for showing Naomi Watts in all her "glory".
Old 05-27-08, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by hapgilmore
Seriously, one of the worst movies I've ever seen. The story makes NO sense at all, was poorly paced, and was just a gigantic waste of time. I can't believe people actually like this movie???!?! An incoherent piece of garbage, but I'll give it half a star for showing Naomi Watts in all her "glory".
Yup, I'm one of the ones that likes it. Actually, I love it. IMO, the best character study committed to film.

The pacing is arguable though, definitely a "get into it or don't" style pacing. It's pretty straight forward flick though:

Spoiler:
Chick hires a hitman to kill her lesbian lover who left her for their male director, has massive regrets and the movie shows her true intentions of the "Why can't we just start fresh?" variety.

Movie makes pretty damn near total sense once you figure out why Naomi Watts' character's name changed.

Though I'd recommend figuring it out for yourself, you seem to hate it too much to care, some additional reasoning...:

Spoiler:

Admittingly, making the first 3/4th of the movie a dream was bound to piss some people off. Movie nailed the "dreams inspired by life events" theme better than any flick I've seen before, all the way to the mob guy (or was he a producer? been a while) drinking coffee at the party and calling it shit in the dream. Lynch with his Wizard of Oz obsession. Of course, it is still open to interpretation.

Spoiler:

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!

Dunno how that makes it incoherent/"make NO sense" . Not that a movie necessarily has to make sense in order to be good.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-27-08 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-27-08, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Every movie can't be Happy Gilmore.
Old 05-27-08, 09:14 AM
Banned

I think its a great film but it's not for everyone. Also you don't have to call it garbage just cause you dont like it. It obviously isnt for everyone but the reviews and awards recogntion prove that the film apparently has some redeeming values and is not universally panned garbage like you categorize it. Still I guess one man's trash is another mans treasure.
If you hated this I cant imagine how much you would hate Inland Empire.
Old 05-27-08, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
Old 05-27-08, 09:29 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
Thank heaven for that.
Old 05-27-08, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
You just didn't get it
Old 05-27-08, 09:55 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Watch it again. Note where the transition occurs and try to figure out why. It does make sense.
Old 05-27-08, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
someone under the handle 'hapgilmore' didn't like MULHOLLAND DRIVE?????? no way!!!!
Old 05-27-08, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
I wasn't blown away when I saw it years ago. But it may have been because I was angry after I hit stop on the remote accidently...
Old 05-27-08, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
Yup, I'm one of the ones that likes it. Actually, I love it. IMO, the best character study committed to film.

The pacing is arguable though, definitely a "get into it or don't" style pacing. It's pretty straight forward flick though:

Spoiler:
Chick hires a hitman to kill her lesbian lover who left her for their male director, has massive regrets and the movie shows her true intentions of the "Why can't we just start fresh?" variety.

Movie makes pretty damn near total sense once you figure out why Naomi Watts' character's name changed.

Though I'd recommend figuring it out for yourself, you seem to hate it too much to care, some additional reasoning...:

Spoiler:

Admittingly, making the first 3/4th of the movie a dream was bound to piss some people off. Movie nailed the "dreams inspired by life events" theme better than any flick I've seen before, all the way to the mob guy (or was he a producer? been a while) drinking coffee at the party and calling it shit in the dream. Lynch with his Wizard of Oz obsession. Of course, it is still open to interpretation.

Spoiler:

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!

Dunno how that makes it incoherent/"make NO sense" . Not that a movie necessarily has to make sense in order to be good.
You hit the nail on the head, mah brotha! One of the best character studies, indeed.
Old 05-27-08, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Or Lost Highway
Old 05-27-08, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As someone who loves Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive, Inland Empire just didn't do it for me.
Old 05-27-08, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mulholland Drive i think is Lynch's most accessible abstract films. But like other's have said, it's a love or hate it sort of deal.
Old 05-27-08, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
I happen to like a variety of different kinds of movies, but yes I do love Happy Gilmore. And yes, Happy Gilmore>>>Mulholland Drive...at least it makes sense!
Old 05-27-08, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think its a great film but it's not for everyone. Also you don't have to call it garbage just cause you dont like it. It obviously isnt for everyone but the reviews and awards recogntion prove that the film apparently has some redeeming values and is not universally panned garbage like you categorize it. Still I guess one man's trash is another mans treasure.
I'm sorry if I offended you, but to me the film was garbage. All these explanations about the plot etc... still don't make the movie any better. It didn't make sense, it was frustrating, and can someone tell me what the deal was with those crazy smiling old people? Seriously that was incredibly stupid.
Old 05-27-08, 12:18 PM
Banned

^Movies do not need to make sense to me for me to enjoy them immensely. I dont understand Mulholland Dr., Lost Highway, certain Nicholas Roeg films, or even something like the Prestige (among many others) but I love or at least like all these quite a bit.
I find Mulholland Dr. to be one of Lynch's most enjoyable films for the first 2/3. Then it goes batshit insane I guess but it still works and is interesting and never dull. It also is scary as shit and I would say its one of the most disturbing/scary films Ive ever seen (Lost Highway is up there on this scale as well). The man behind Winky's appearance n the film is still probably the scariest thing Ive ever seen on a movie screen.
Old 05-27-08, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^Movies do not need to make sense to me for me to enjoy them immensely. I dont understand Mulholland Dr., Lost Highway, certain Nicholas Roeg films, or even something like the Prestige (among many others) but I love or at least like all these quite a bit.
I find Mulholland Dr. to be one of Lynch's most enjoyable films for the first 2/3. Then it goes batshit insane I guess but it still works and is interesting and never dull. It also is scary as shit and I would say its one of the most disturbing/scary films Ive ever seen (Lost Highway is up there on this scale as well). The man behind Winky's appearance n the film is still probably the scariest thing Ive ever seen on a movie screen.
I don't understand that logic at all. How is something that makes no sense enjoyable? Sure, you can appreciate a movie from a technical perspective (good camera work, creative editing etc...) but if you are not involved in the story, it makes the movie as a whole come across as pointless.
Old 05-27-08, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
How is something that makes no sense enjoyable?
Explain this then:
Picture of the penguin in Billy Madison
Old 05-27-08, 12:28 PM

I don't understand that logic at all. How is something that makes no sense enjoyable? Sure, you can appreciate a movie from a technical perspective (good camera work, creative editing etc...) but if you are not involved in the story, it makes the movie as a whole come across as pointless.
You want a story, read a mass market paperback.
Old 05-27-08, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm sorry if I offended you, but to me the film was garbage. All these explanations about the plot etc... still don't make the movie any better. It didn't make sense, it was frustrating, and can someone tell me what the deal was with those crazy smiling old people? Seriously that was incredibly stupid.
They represented her past coming back to haunt her.

Honestly, without delving too far into a discussion that will probably confuse you, it's obvious you don't like to have to think about a film in order to understand it. You want Lynch to have someone pop up on screen to explain everything so you can feel satisfied at the end of the film.

You know why Happy Gilmore makes sense? Because a single sentence can describe the film to anyone that's never seen it; Mulholland Dr. could have a thesis written about it. I think it's a phenomenal movie and the thinking you have to do with the clues you're given only makes the reward of watching it that much sweeter. I love it when someone says they hated it because they don't get it.
Old 05-27-08, 12:31 PM
Banned

You can be involved in the story and still be confused as hell. At least i can. I still have no idea what to make of the recent I'M NOT THERE even though i was confused almost the entire film i was drawn in and moved by the individual scenes. Same with this film.
Old 05-27-08, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Haha it's fine if he didn't like the flick, I just don't get what "didn't make sense" about it. The old people? Way to take a visual metaphor and blame an entire movie on it.

So instead of being abrupt and non-descript, at least say what didn't make sense or was frustrating about it.

Hell, the play by play (in my interpretation of the events):
Spoiler:

Naomi Watts wins a Jitterbug competition - receives her award with her parents or some random old couple with her.

Camera, first person view on pillows signifying going to sleep.

Long ass dream sequence.

Wakes up, former girlfriend (or what have you) knocking at door for her to get her stuff. Finds the blue key signifying the "hit" was successful.

Realizes what has been done, reflects back on the events that lead up to the dream/"hit", feels guilt, freaks out, kills herself.

Or chronologically:

Spoiler:
Wins Jitterbug, Moves to California to try and make it as an actress, has an affair with hot bitch, hot bitch cheats on her and leaves her, she hires a hitman to kill hot bitch, she comes home, goes to sleep, has a dream idealizing what should happen - what she wants to happen and rationalizes how it could work, wakes up, finds the "blue key" which signifies hot bitch is dead, realizes the hot bitch is dead, feels guilty, kills herself.

I don't get where the confusion sinks in, at all. It's been a couple years since I've seen the movie so I may be a little rusty, but I don't recall it being particularly muddled. Yeah, I was confused the second it ended but it isn't horrifyingly complex. Or are you that hung up on the old couple and creepy dude in the alley way?

Last edited by RichC2; 05-27-08 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-27-08, 12:35 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey happy
Old 05-27-08, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't precisely agree with you RichC2.

Spoiler:
I think the dream part of the film is a death dream.

As for enjoying something that doesn't make much sense, well there are aspects to be enjoyed about the film. There's a bunch of little scenes that work by themselves, and together they can create an enjoyable experience even if they seem to not connect. Which they do in this film though. Club Silencio is worth it alone.

I also loved Inland Empire, In some ways more than any other Lynch Film. It had some of the scariest moments I've ever seen.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.