Prince of Persia Prodigy - "Next-Gen" Graphics Redeemed

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-08, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Prince of Persia Prodigy - "Next-Gen" Graphics Redeemed

I said wow.

Spoiler:

Last edited by PixyJunket; 05-22-08 at 08:52 AM.
Old 05-22-08, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I see your "wow" and raise you a "holy shit!"
Old 05-22-08, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I see your "holy shit!" and raise you a "Eh. Looks nice but nothing revolutionary, but would love new PoP (PoP). And Next-Gen graphics were redeemed when Kameo came out".
Old 05-22-08, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts
that looks awesome. i assume it's coming for the PS3?
Old 05-22-08, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Is that cel shaded?
Old 05-22-08, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love me some cel shading!
Old 05-22-08, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Ba.
Old 05-22-08, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks like concept art to me.
Old 05-22-08, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Is that cel shaded?
If those are in-game, wouldn't be surprised if they're recycling their Naruto engine (updated one, of course):

The 4th pic looks like a sketch, the others look like they could very well be game engine based.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-22-08 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-22-08, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
And Next-Gen graphics were redeemed when Kameo came out.
I don't even know what that is supposed to mean.
Old 05-22-08, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Ugh, more cel-shading.
Old 05-22-08, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I don't even know what that is supposed to mean.
I felt like typing it is all. Basically I've been impressed since "next-gen" launched
Old 05-22-08, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Looks nice, but I'm not too "wowed" - looks pretty much the same, only cell-shaded and in HD.
Old 05-22-08, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ughhhhhh!!!!
Old 05-22-08, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Cel shading is now 'next gen graphics'?

Okay...

= J
Old 05-22-08, 04:08 PM
Banned

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=134937

Joypad magazine - the French Edge - has published the first preview of the next Prince of Persia, just announced by Ubisoft.

The game will be coming to PC, PS3 and 360 this year and is being developed by the original Prince of Persia: Sands of Time team at Ubisoft Montreal. It features cel-shaded graphics, and scraps the Sands of Time rewind powers. The gameplay centres on healing a corrupted world in the style of Okami, Shadow of the Colossus or The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

Joypad's preview shows striking images of the game's "illustrative" visual style - a subtle and highly detailed take on cel-shading - and the new Prince, a colourful vagabond swathed in scarves. He wouldn't look out of place in a Final Fantasy game, the article's author points out.

Creative director Jean-Christophe Guyot told Joypad that the aim was to create a more fantastical game and "more poetic vision" than the Sands of Time trilogy, with which it shares no connection. "The previous trilogy mixed the Arabian Nights in with historical Persia," he said (in French, so please excuse our rough translation). "We decided we'd prefer to return to the tales of the Thousand and One Nights for something more colourful."

The move caused some consternation with Ubisoft management, he explained, although they never opposed it. "They knew we weren't going to make a second Assassin's Creed," he said. "However, they did raise their eyebrows a bit at the new, stylised artistic direction. They were worried the Americans wouldn't like it. There were many discussions, but they never said no to us."

Guyot said the style was "Zelda-esque, old school, with very contrasting levels". The settings will be more open and organic than in previous games.

The game's plot draws on a Zoroastrian myth: the war between good and evil gods (and twins) Ohrmazd and Ahriman. Ohrmazd wins and imprisons his brother in a box hidden in an oasis. But Ahriman is freed by an unwitting thief centuries later, and remakes the world in his image, corrupting all living beings. It falls to the thief to undo his actions and return colour to the world, and in so doing he turns from robber into the titular Prince.

He heals the land by killing boss guardians, in the style of Shadow of the Colossus or Twilight Princess, and unleashing the power of the light-wells they guard. The land is then transformed in real-time - unlike Okami's cut-scenes - with grass growing and lighting and colour changing dynamically as the Prince moves through the world.

Although combat is still an important part of the game, enemies will be much less numerous and more vicious. The emphasis is on one-on-one swordfighting duels, with a very dynamic camera. It's described as being more Soul Calibur than God of War.

Platforming has been less drastically altered, with the major addition being a spiked glove that the Prince can use to slide along, and jump from, vertical surfaces. The sands of time powers have been removed due to overuse - "the concept has been so used and copied, we had to move on to something else, put it to one side" - although a still-secret "something" will take their place and fulfill some of the same functions.

Structurally, the game will be a mix of open-ended and linear. The Prince is free to explore the world map and take on challenges in whatever order he wants - dynamic settings taking care of the difficulty curve - but each challenge will be a fairly linear assault course, maximising fluidity and acrobatics, and ending in a boss confrontation. The developers are hoping the bosses will have some of the strong personality of Metal Gear Solid's.

As a fresh start for the Prince of Persia series, it all sounds very promising. Look out for more details from the UbiDays event on the 28th and 29th of May.
I personally hate the cel-shaded graphics, but I love PoP so I will still play it. Looks like this could be another "Warrior Within". WW alienated fans with its hardcore goth look, and "Prodigy" could do the same with its cel-shading.

The one-on-one swordfighting duels sounds awesome. I hope it is similar to the old school PoP. I loved the duels in that.
Old 05-22-08, 04:16 PM

wow, wasnt expecting cel shading, hope its decent tho. PoP games last gen were pretty fun
Old 05-22-08, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it looks great myself. As a kid growing up playing games and watching cartoons, I hoped for the days when i could PLAY a cartoon. And the first time I saw Dragon's Lair in the arcade, I did just that. And I still love playing cartoons - so bring on the cel shading!
Old 05-22-08, 04:29 PM

Spoiler:

"Agent! Use your jumping skills to reach hidden orbs!"

Anyway, it does look similar to Crackdown to me.
Old 05-22-08, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts
Although combat is still an important part of the game, enemies will be much less numerous and more vicious. The emphasis is on one-on-one swordfighting duels, with a very dynamic camera.
This sounds compelling to me. I'll be completely honest: I haven't played any of the PoP games since the original on my old Apple IIC+, but it was and still is one of my favorite all-time video games. I don't get into many of the modern button-mashing video games that just send enemy after enemy to be destroyed. It'll be interesting to read reviews of this.
Old 05-22-08, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Cel-Shading seems to be the new answer to trying to give a game a "unique" look. That and the whole Team Fortress 2 art style, like Facebreaker or Battlefield Heroes.
Old 05-22-08, 04:58 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
The art looks very interesting, and I don't mind the stylization at all. Gameplay is going to be key for me, and I like what the article suggests about the direction they are going with game play.
Old 05-22-08, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Originally Posted by fumanstan
Cel-Shading seems to be the new answer to trying to give a game a "unique" look. That and the whole Team Fortress 2 art style, like Facebreaker or Battlefield Heroes.
I dunno, I've always liked cel-shading, even buying Auto Modellista when it first came out, instead of looking over reviews and such. What a mistake that was.
Old 05-22-08, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
The subtle cel-shading used in Crackdown really worked for that game.
Old 05-22-08, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
I like the character and production design but I don't care for the cel shading. It just makes the graphics look unfinished. I'm sure it took a lot of effort but it looks lazy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.