PDA

View Full Version : Big Earthquake in Little China

lordwow
05-12-08, 08:31 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/05/12/china.quake/index.html

3k reported dead. 7.8 magnitude.

Th0r S1mpson
05-12-08, 08:53 AM
Sounds like a highschool collapsed... something like 600 kids buried right now?! :(

Lemdog
05-12-08, 09:48 AM
Yea, I called family over there this morning after I heard the news. They said when it happened everyone ran outside. Crazy stuff.

A-aron
05-12-08, 09:59 AM
sadly, the death toll has risen to 7600 :(

B.A.
05-12-08, 10:15 AM
Just think how bad it would be if the Three Gorges Dam failed.

Lemdog
05-12-08, 10:21 AM
Just think how bad it would be if the Three Gorges Dam failed.

Lucky the Three Gorges Dam was a good distance away from where the earthquake occurred.

So far there has been 16 aftershocks ranging from 6.0 to 4.9.

Th0r S1mpson
05-12-08, 10:21 AM
Wow, this one is catastrophic. :(

Right on the heels of Myanmar. What will be the aid situation in China? Will they request/accept international aid, or handle this themselves?

kvrdave
05-12-08, 10:32 AM
I'll bet they accept it. Especially with the Olympics coming.

Lemdog
05-12-08, 10:56 AM
sadly, the death toll has risen to 7600 :(

8500 now

A-aron
05-12-08, 11:22 AM
Mother Earth is not in a good mood lately.

lordwow
05-12-08, 12:14 PM
US Geographical is now saying it was a 7.9

broadwayblue
05-12-08, 12:21 PM
Sounds like a highschool collapsed... something like 600 kids buried right now?! :(

I read 900. :(

Shilex
05-12-08, 12:22 PM
Wonder if this will effect any other faultlines since it was so strong. Doomsday here we come!

Cyclones, Earthquakes, Tornadoes, oh my.......

Gizmo
05-12-08, 12:45 PM
How the hell is this thread not longer? Britney Spears poops and its 4 pages long, 9,000 people die and its a handful? Damn.

B.A.
05-12-08, 01:11 PM
Lucky the Three Gorges Dam was a good distance away from where the earthquake occurred.

From what I can tell on maps - it wasn't that far away. Considering the substandard concrete they used to build the thing they are lucky it hasn't had a failure yet.

raven56706
05-12-08, 01:24 PM
wait til the olympics arrives.... good lord

Th0r S1mpson
05-12-08, 01:26 PM
How the hell is this thread not longer? Britney Spears poops and its 4 pages long, 9,000 people die and its a handful? Damn.
Britney poops an 8.1

Mopower
05-12-08, 01:44 PM

So you want 8 pages of "God that's horrible!!"? It's not going to bring anyone back.

DaveNinja
05-12-08, 01:47 PM
I'd be surprized if china lets outside help in. back in 76 when they had the quake that killed 240,000 people they were reporting death tolls of like 3K

shoppingbear
05-12-08, 01:57 PM
From what I can tell on maps - it wasn't that far away. Considering the substandard concrete they used to build the thing they are lucky it hasn't had a failure yet.
According to the CNN story in the OP, the dam is "roughly 600 km east of the epicenter" and it wasn't damaged. Hopefully that's true.

This is only going to get worse. From the OP's story:
The death toll quickly rose throughout the day. State-run news agency Xinhua said it had reached 8,533 in Sichuan Province by Monday night, and another 10,000 were believed to be injured.

It reported that authorities were yet to reach Wenchuan County -- which sits at the epicenter of the 7.9-magnitude earthquake with a population of about 112,000 -- because of damage to roads.

In Beichuan County, close to Wenchuan, the number of deaths was estimated at more than 3,000, with 80 percent of the buildings destroyed.

They haven't even gotten in to the county where the epicenter was. :(

T-bone22
05-12-08, 02:26 PM
Wonder if this will effect any other faultlines since it was so strong. Doomsday here we come!

Cyclones, Earthquakes, Tornadoes, oh my.......

Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big old storm right in the eye and says, "Give me your best shot. I can take it."

Bronkster
05-12-08, 02:27 PM
Damn. I don't even know what to think when things like this happen. :sad:

DVD Polizei
05-12-08, 08:07 PM

Eh. Out of 8 Billion on the planet (might be more I lost track), we had, what, 100,000 die in Myanmar and 10,000 die in China. It's really no big deal. People at work are behaving like it's Armegeddon. Well, it's not. It's mother nature. You live around certain areas of the earth...yah get killed. Yah get fucked up.

More people die from drunk drivers per year than earthquakes per year, so why aren't you the voice for MADD and informing us about the dangers of driving drunk? See what I mean? Illogical statements.

Fact is, Britney is more interesting. Might be cold. Might be outright weird and indifferent, but hey, so is Mother Nature. Mother Nature certainly doesn't give a rat's ass where she strikes. And I respect that.

El Scorcho
05-12-08, 08:37 PM
I'm working here in China for a month (today is my final day, coincidentally). The earthquake was approximately 900-1000 miles NW of where I'm at (1 hour north of Hong Kong). Didn't feel a thing.

It was funny how many emails from family and friends I got asking me if I was okay. It occurred to me that Americans really have no idea how big China is. That'd be like calling all my friends in Houston to ask if they are OK after a big LA quake. :lol:

MBoyd
05-12-08, 09:07 PM
I called my girlfriend in Shenzhen and she said a few people she knew felt something there but she didn't. Her parents are north of Beijing and felt it. Weird because it seems Shenzhen is closer to Chengdu than Beijing.

Other thing I heard today was the water pressure behind the Three Gorges Dam could be the catalyst for the earthquake!

lordwow
05-12-08, 09:30 PM
It was funny how many emails from family and friends I got asking me if I was okay. It occurred to me that Americans really have no idea how big China is. That'd be like calling all my friends in Houston to ask if they are OK after a big LA quake. :lol:

rotfl good analogy.

Breakfast with Girls
05-12-08, 10:51 PM
Eh. Out of 8 Billion on the planet (might be more I lost track), we had, what, 100,000 die in Myanmar and 10,000 die in China. It's really no big deal. People at work are behaving like it's Armegeddon. Well, it's not. It's mother nature. You live around certain areas of the earth...yah get killed. Yah get fucked up. [...]Pretty easy to be cavalier when it happens to foreigners, I guess.

Lemdog
05-12-08, 11:31 PM
I'm working here in China for a month (today is my final day, coincidentally). The earthquake was approximately 900-1000 miles NW of where I'm at (1 hour north of Hong Kong). Didn't feel a thing.

Really? My father in law was right outside of HK and he said he felt it. Weird.

DVD Polizei
05-12-08, 11:51 PM
Pretty easy to be cavalier when it happens to foreigners, I guess.

Yes, exactly. It's because it happens over THERE, that I really have little control over the situation, and what the hell am I supposed to do? I'm sure they could care less when a few thousand people die over here in the US in one tragedy or another. It's not "wrong". It's not "right". It's just what it is.

I can't care for the entire world, thanks. I'm not Ghandi, or the Lama guy, or some codependent person who needs to feel good when they click on a fucking graphic to send rice to a famined country.

I just care about what's in my immediate peripheral circle. I'm not God. Maybe quite a few people should step off the God Podium and care about those around them, versus feeling the need to travel thousands of miles and somehow being more "wanted" there. Never could understand this insane idea of helping those abroad while next door, your neighbor's child is starving, needs new clothes, because they recently lost their jobs and the mortgage is taking almost 90% of their income.

How many of us notice just about every fucking thing that goes on abroad, but don't even know our neighbors or what serious problems are embedded in our neighborhoods, such as starvation, child abuse, domestic issues, property loss, etc.

For some reason, mentioning those who are in our immediate circle, is a taboo.

Nah, you can't help those across the street...but you CAN help those thousands of miles away.

So, to answer your statement, I'm going to be realistic and say, those who are farther away from me, get less attention from me. I don't know them. I care about those in my immediate circle. And it is in this regard, when everyone takes care of their own immediate circles, that the entire world will finally come together as a complete circle.

This half-assed Hollywood attempt at dramatizing every goddamn earthborne event and making it into a humanitarian survival episode and series, has got to stop. Because we will never progress with this kind of attitude and action.

Now, I'm not completely saying we disregard humanity which is outside our circle. But what I've noticed lately, is forced aid down the throats of countries who really don't want it, and aid being turned into a political statement to point fingers at others and denounce them.

Why not let them ask first. And then we'll appropriately respond. "Oh, but some countries are too proud to ask for help." Fine. Then they can be on their own and improve their internal societal relationships.

We all need to get a grip on current events. And we all need to really get a grip on ourselves. Over dramatization. Looking at these news reporters who purposely get themselves into situations, into moments of horrific discovery, I've come to the observation these people seem to want to cry, just for the sake of crying. They want to find death...just to find death. Why the is that? I ask myself. It's certainly not because they want to report a story. No, it's something more indicative of what our society is becoming, and it's more indicative of what we as individuals are becoming.

Shilex
05-13-08, 08:09 AM
Someone needs a hug.

El Scorcho
05-13-08, 09:52 AM
Yes, exactly. It's because it happens over THERE, that I really have little control over the situation, and what the hell am I supposed to do? I'm sure they could care less when a few thousand people die over here in the US in one tragedy or another. It's not "wrong". It's not "right". It's just what it is.

I can't care for the entire world, thanks. I'm not Ghandi, or the Lama guy, or some codependent person who needs to feel good when they click on a fucking graphic to send rice to a famined country.

I just care about what's in my immediate peripheral circle. I'm not God. Maybe quite a few people should step off the God Podium and care about those around them, versus feeling the need to travel thousands of miles and somehow being more "wanted" there. Never could understand this insane idea of helping those abroad while next door, your neighbor's child is starving, needs new clothes, because they recently lost their jobs and the mortgage is taking almost 90% of their income.

How many of us notice just about every fucking thing that goes on abroad, but don't even know our neighbors or what serious problems are embedded in our neighborhoods, such as starvation, child abuse, domestic issues, property loss, etc.

Nah, you can't help those across the street...but you CAN help those thousands of miles away.

So, to answer your statement, I'm going to be realistic and say, those who are farther away from me, get less attention from me. I don't know them. I care about those in my immediate circle. And it is in this regard, when everyone takes care of their own immediate circles, that the entire world will finally come together as a complete circle.

This half-assed Hollywood attempt at dramatizing every goddamn earthborne event and making it into a humanitarian survival episode and series, has got to stop. Because we will never progress with this kind of attitude and action.

Now, I'm not completely saying we disregard humanity which is outside our circle. But what I've noticed lately, is forced aid down the throats of countries who really don't want it, and aid being turned into a political statement to point fingers at others and denounce them.

Why not let them ask first. And then we'll appropriately respond. "Oh, but some countries are too proud to ask for help." Fine. Then they can be on their own and improve their internal societal relationships.

We all need to get a grip on current events. And we all need to really get a grip on ourselves. Over dramatization. Looking at these news reporters who purposely get themselves into situations, into moments of horrific discovery, I've come to the observation these people seem to want to cry, just for the sake of crying. They want to find death...just to find death. Why the is that? I ask myself. It's certainly not because they want to report a story. No, it's something more indicative of what our society is becoming, and it's more indicative of what we as individuals are becoming.

You must be a hit at parties

lordwow
05-13-08, 09:54 AM
rotfl

Mopower
05-13-08, 09:59 AM

What's next on The Factor?

El Scorcho
05-13-08, 10:03 AM
ahahahahah

shoppingbear
05-13-08, 05:43 PM
You must be a hit at parties
rotfl :lol:

I think I was stuck on a blind date with this guy once. -ohbfrank-

DVD Polizei
05-13-08, 09:50 PM
I don't think you were. :)

DVD Polizei
05-13-08, 09:52 PM
What's next on The Factor?

McCain Does Dallas?

Mrs. Danger
05-13-08, 10:37 PM
Actually, I agree with DVDPolizei in a lot of ways.

Focusing on disasters far away makes them a bit more abstract. Big numbers are shocking, but impersonal.

It's all so big and far away, that we can't imagine how we might get personally involved. But, we can throw a little money at it, and pray for the suffering strangers, and feel like we have done something; something big, and important and good.

But, drive past a 13 year old prostitute, and see how that feels. Suddenly you can see all the details, such as drug abuse, low self-esteem, and inadequate social support for troubled children. It's no longer something abstract. Throwing money at it won't help. Do you get involved? Are you willing to take the physical and emotional risks?

Of course not. Most of us don't believe we have what it takes to intervene on a personal level and make a difference. (and a lot of us are right!) It's easier to donate to causes.

None of this makes the tragedy in China any less, but it puts it in perspective. Donate to the Red Cross, they could use it. But don't forget your local, smaller charities and social services. What they need most is often not money, but people. Someone to sort donated clothes. Someone to cook or clean, or do minor repairs. Someone with a car.

These are small things, and help in small ways. They have a cumulative effect. Maybe helping one person who will never be anyone famous to get off of drugs is not as impressive as cleaning up after an earthquake, but it is also important.

Particularly important is that these small, personal disasters are constant. They happen every day. You can help every day. There is no need to wait for nature to strike.

And, speaking from personal experience, I can tell you: A small guesture of kindness can have a large effect.

DVD Polizei
05-13-08, 11:39 PM
I agree. You said it better than I did. :)

shoppingbear
05-14-08, 04:24 AM
I don't think you were. :)
Oh, thank GOD, so that was just a bad nightmare, then? :D

arminius
05-14-08, 11:27 AM
Uncle Joe says one death is a tragedy, 1 million deaths are a statistic.

atlantamoi
05-15-08, 06:40 AM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gscKnPieJwg&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gscKnPieJwg&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Scary stuff. First half of the video seems to have sounds of buildings falling down.

MBoyd
05-19-08, 08:28 AM
This is ending up being a huge event in China, dare I say their 9/11. I don't think we are completely grasping what this could all mean yet. The state media is more open about this disaster than ever before. Nationalism has been rising along with prosperity over the past few years. Who knows where this will go?

The content on the news and websites over there is quite different than what we see here. Many pictures of dead children who have been crushed beneath the buildings are shown over and over. We are used to a more sanitized version of disasters from our media and that contributes to the disconnection of these events as mentioned earlier.

Anyway, I have been really saddened by what I have seen that is sent by my girlfriend. I return June 12. I don't really know what to expect yet. Planning to travel a few places for a couple of weeks.

mrpayroll
05-22-08, 03:25 PM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080522/capt.13276d8d826c4accba57229e32974a98.china_earthquake_wedding_xgb806.jpg?x=400&y=262&sig=EkE.lMdqZxxCg9Z4BFRmPw--

Bricks fall from a deserted catholic seminary as an earthquake strikes during a wedding photo shoot in Pengzhou in southwest China's Sichuan province Monday May 12, 2008. Five couples were having wedding photos taken when the earthquake struck, and all escaped without injury. The century-old seminary was destroyed in the quake, which left tens of thousands dead in Sichuan.
(AP Photo)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080522/ts_nm/quake_dc_26

More than 80,000 dead or missing in China quake By Chris Buckley
Thu May 22, 10:55 AM ET

YINGXIU, China (Reuters) - More than 80,000 people are dead or missing from China's worst earthquake in decades, the government said on Thursday, as concerns rose that disease, the rainy season and aftershocks could bring yet more pain.

Previously, authorities had said they expected the final death toll to exceed 50,000.

Ten days after the magnitude 7.9 quake rocked the mountainous southwest of the country, relief efforts focused on the 5 million homeless and the millions of others facing disease and possible "secondary disasters."

The government implored the international community to provide more relief aid, saying they needed more than 3 million tents and that just 400,000 had so far reached the disaster zone.

As a measure of the urgency, Chinese President Hu Jintao made a personal visit to tent producers in the wealthy eastern province of Zhejiang to chivvy them on.

"To have enough tents is an urgent task for us," Hu said.

Hospitals in Sichuan province were overwhelmed by the nearly 300,000 hurt, prompting the government to send extra trains to ferry the injured to other parts of the country, state media said. Convoys of ambulances also carried the injured out.

Rain and aftershocks have exacerbated the dangers faced by more than 100,000 troops assisting in the relief effort.

"There have been constant aftershocks and the rainy season starts in June ... the earthquake has loosened the mountains," said Yun Xiaosu, Vice Minister of Land and Resources.

"It is very likely to cause frequent geological disasters and to once again bring major losses to the quake area."

Engineers are also monitoring more than 30 new lakes formed by landslides into river valleys, worried they could burst causing flashfloods into towns and tent cities.

PLAGUE, MENINGITIS

More than 5,000 health workers have fanned out to disinfect the hundreds of wrecked villages, and doctors and nurses are stationed round the clock in refugee camps.

"We are most worried about plague, so environmental hygiene is of top importance. Such a huge movement of people inevitably means that all sorts of viruses and bacteria move with them. We are also afraid of meningitis," a health official in Mianyang told Reuters on condition of anonymity.

Plague is carried by rodents and spread to humans via fleas. Meningitis, an inflammation of membranes covering the brain and spinal cord, is caused by bacteria and viruses. It can be fatal without prompt treatment.

More than 20,000 survivors are packed into the Jiujiang Sports Stadium in Mianyang city, about a two-hour drive from Sichuan provincial capital Chengdu.

The government ordered the urgent shipment of millions of doses of hepatitis, encephalitis, hemorrhagic fever and cholera vaccines to the area, state media reported.

"LONG AND ARDUOUS TASK"

Government figures showed the number of dead on Thursday exceeded 51,000, an increase of 10,000 on the previous day's toll. It said more than 29,000 were still missing.

The possibility was raised that U.N. chief Ban Ki-moon might visit Sichuan after his trip to cyclone-struck Myanmar.

Meanwhile, Premier Wen Jiabao returned to the wrecked county of Beichuan, where two-thirds of the population were killed.

"It will be a long and arduous task for us to relocate the people and reconstruct the region," Wen said, according to state television.

Local authorities plan to rebuild the Beichuan county seat at a new site in Anxian county, according to a preliminary plan yet to be approved by government.

"Safety is the top priority in selecting a new location and reconstruction," Xinhua news agency quoted Beichuan's Communist Party chief, Song Ming, as saying.

"We plan to build a monument and a memorial to commemorate the quake victims on the previous location."

Even as rescuers pulled more bodies from the rubble of what was a primary school in Yingxiu, workers set off explosives in other parts of the town to clear the debris and engineers and soldiers worked on building a temporary bridge.

Residents picked through the rubble of their homes.

Liu Suqing, 33, said she would not leave the town until her 8-year-old son had been found. "We're still waiting for them to pull out his body. There are many still buried under the rubble."

(Additional reporting by Lucy Hornby in Guanzhuang and Ben Blanchard in Beijing; Writing by Jeremy Laurence; Editing by Alex Richardson)

(For more stories on China's quake, click on or follow the link to Reuters AlertNet http://www.alertnet.org. For full coverage of the quake in China, click on www.reuters.com/news/globalcoverage/china))

Chris

Rockmjd23
05-28-08, 02:40 AM
Stone Blames Bad Karma For China Earthquake
http://www.imdb.com/news/wenn/2008-05-28/

Sharon Stone left Chinese journalists stunned at the Cannes Film Festival in France last week when she suggested the country's recent earthquake was "karma." The outspoken actress was talking to a Chinese media outlet on Thursday when she linked the recent disaster, which left more than 67,000 people dead, to China's recent treatment of Tibetans. She said, "All these earthquakes and stuff happened and I thought, 'Is that karma?' When you are not nice, bad things happen to you. I'm not happy about how the Chinese are treating the Tibetans, I don't think anyone should be unkind to anyone else. They're not being very nice to the Dali Lama, who's a good friend of mine."
Stone's comments come after Chinese security forces attacked Tibetan monks and other ethnic Tibetans after a peaceful independence rally in March turned violent. The protests marked the annual anniversary of a failed Tibetan uprising against Chinese rule, which has been in place since 1951. The violent incident, which left at least 16 people dead, prompted many countries to boycott part or all of the opening ceremonies for the Beijing Olympics in China later this summer.

Wow :lol:

DVD Polizei
05-28-08, 03:08 AM
Hey Sharon,

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/1653/sharonstoneugly1hc8.jpg

Even an earthquake wouldn't settle those wrinkles. Now that's Karma, baby.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0