DVD Talk
Republicans Hate Your Mother [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Republicans Hate Your Mother

Sean O'Hara
05-10-08, 03:21 PM
Just when you thought the Democratic party had a monopoly on shooting themselves in the foot, the Republicans start voting against Mother's Day.

It was already shaping up to be a difficult year for congressional Republicans. Now, on the cusp of Mother's Day, comes this: A majority of the House GOP has voted against motherhood.

On Wednesday afternoon, the House had just voted, 412 to 0, to pass H. Res. 1113, "Celebrating the role of mothers in the United States and supporting the goals and ideals of Mother's Day," when Rep. Todd Tiahrt (R-Kan.), rose in protest.

"Mr. Speaker, I move to reconsider the vote," he announced.

Rep. Kathy Castor (D-Fla.), who has two young daughters, moved to table Tiahrt's request, setting up a revote. This time, 178 Republicans cast their votes against mothers.

It has long been the custom to compare a popular piece of legislation to motherhood and apple pie. Evidently, that is no longer the standard. Worse, Republicans are now confronted with a John Kerry-esque predicament: They actually voted for motherhood before they voted against it.

Republicans, unhappy with the Democratic majority, have been using such procedural tactics as this all week to bring the House to a standstill, but the assault on mothers may have gone too far. House Minority Leader John Boehner, asked yesterday to explain why he and 177 of his colleagues switched their votes, answered: "Oh, we just wanted to make sure that everyone was on record in support of Mother's Day."

By voting against it?

If Boehner's explanation doesn't make much sense, he's been under a great deal of stress lately.

Why don't the Republicans just take pictures of themselves drowning puppies? I mean, if you're going to hand ammo to your enemy, you might as well go all in.

Dr Mabuse
05-10-08, 03:42 PM
Republicans Hate Your Mother

:lol:

hell of a thread title!!!

das Monkey
05-10-08, 04:37 PM
Good to see our government remains hard at work on issues that matter.

das

Bacon
05-10-08, 04:38 PM

dasshut up you
my mother matters

kvrdave
05-10-08, 05:07 PM
Somehow I doubt this becomes an issue in November. It is that stupid.

cinten
05-10-08, 05:13 PM
I would love to see the list of 178 mother hating republicans who voted against mothers day.

bhk
05-10-08, 05:34 PM
I'm as tired of this compassionate conservatism as anyone but this wasn't the issue to make a stand. :lol:

Dimension X
05-10-08, 06:35 PM
:hscratch: thomas.gov (http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2008/roll274.xml) shows the final vote as 412 AYES, 0 NOES, and 21 Not Voting.

JasonF
05-10-08, 06:50 PM
As Peter Sagal put it on this week's episode of "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" -- talaking about the Louisiana Special Election, not this -- the Republicans have demonstrated that they are better than the Democrats at so many other things, why not self-destruction too?

VinVega
05-10-08, 09:14 PM
I would love to see the list of 178 shit head republicans who voted against mothers day.
mod note - We can't have this here.

JasonF
05-10-08, 10:42 PM
mod note - We can't have this here.

Oh no! Now Vin's banning shit-head Republicans!

In all seriousness, it looked to me like cinten was calling the 178 Republican legislators who voted against Mother's Day shitheads, not calling all Republicans shit-heads. I thought the former was OK under the rules.

VinVega
05-10-08, 10:55 PM
In all seriousness, it looked to me like cinten was calling the 178 Republican legislators who voted against Mother's Day shitheads, not calling all Republicans shit-heads. I thought the former was OK under the rules.
It added nothing to the discussion and was only causing people to RTP to the mods.

We all need to be a little more careful as the Presidential election season heats up. Myself included. There's potential for things to get even more testy in here, and we're hoping to avoid that.

DVD Polizei
05-11-08, 12:12 AM
I heard a person say Republicans don't have mothers. Not sure if she was completely correct, however. Interesting statement though, considering this post.

But since the election is heating up, I say the mods should take a vacation from this forum and/or disable the RTP. Why? Because a lot of people who can't come back with a witty and accurate statement, will resort to the cowardly behavior known as Reporting To The Mods.

Not to go really OT here, but RTP should be used for BLATANT and outrageous stuff, not just calling Republicans bastards or Democrats tree lovers. So, it would be nice if this forum got its asbestos suit on, and notified the frequent RTP'ers, they are on their own unless something ILLEGAL, as defined by a criminal statute, is committed.

Just a thought.

MartinBlank
05-11-08, 12:22 AM
Is it just me or is it odd that the OP provided so source for his posting?

I've head of the vote recently, but only on Lefty blogs :shrug:

MartinBlank
05-11-08, 12:23 AM
Vote tally here (http://www.govtrack.us/congress/vote.xpd?vote=h2008-275)

MartinBlank
05-11-08, 12:29 AM
The 178 Yea votes were to: Table Motion to Reconsider: "H RES 1113 Celebrating the role of mothers in the United States and supporting the goals and ideals of Motherís Day"

This vote (http://www.govtrack.us/congress/vote.xpd?vote=h2008-274) was H. Res. 1113: Celebrating the role of mothers in the United States and supporting the goals and ideals of Mother's Day, which passed 412-0

Sorry to confuse everyone with the facts, I'm sure you've already made up your minds :)

I'm sure Republicans are still super evil though. And stupid. Just like George Bush...he's so stupid AND evil...I can't wait 'til Obama beats him in November!! Bush sucks so bad!!

DVD Polizei
05-11-08, 12:29 AM
Maybe the OP forgot the link. But I thought the point was it was "reconsidered" to just waste time.

BKenn01
05-11-08, 12:59 AM
Which is what Congress does. "Waste Time". But on a positive note, when they are voting on these issues, it gives them less time to screw us.

mikehunt
05-11-08, 07:41 AM
dumb ass resolutions like this is why we need a part time legislature

VinVega
05-11-08, 08:53 AM
Sorry to confuse everyone with the facts, I'm sure you've already made up your minds :)

I'm sure Republicans are still super evil though. And stupid. Just like George Bush...he's so stupid AND evil...I can't wait 'til Obama beats him in November!! Bush sucks so bad!!
I think the fact that the Republicans brought up the whole measure as a stalling procedure is the main point. These were the kind of things we heard were "obstructionist" by some of our more vocal Conservative posters here when the Democrats did the same kind of thing when they were in the minority.

Lt Ripley
05-12-08, 07:42 PM
Yep, BOTH sides do the same exact thing when they are the minority, and they BOTH complain when the other side does it. BOTH parties are full of shit.

Lemdog
05-12-08, 11:36 PM

das

I'm sure toward the end of this session they will start complaining that they ran out of time on some important issue.

darkflounder
05-13-08, 04:00 AM
Which would you rather have?

a) Congress wasting their time and our tax money passing stupid pointless resolutions such as this?

or...

b) Congress wasting OUR time and our tax money passing stupid pointless laws infringe on my life, liberty and pursuit of happiness.

MartinBlank
05-13-08, 08:17 AM

a) Congress wasting their time and our tax money passing stupid pointless resolutions such as this?

or...

b) Congress wasting OUR time and our tax money passing stupid pointless laws infringe on my life, liberty and pursuit of happiness.

It sort of depends on one's definition of "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

Red Dog
05-13-08, 08:25 AM
It sort of depends on one's definition of "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

Judging by the Republicans I see in Congress, they care about life only if you're a fetus, don't care much for liberty, and as for pursuit of happiness, just don't tax that happiness.

JasonF
05-13-08, 08:51 AM
How come there's a whole thread directed to Chelsea Clinton? Shouldn't the OP have taken it to e-mail? Does Chelsea Clinton even read DVDTalk?

JasonF
05-13-08, 08:53 AM

or...

I chose secret option c:

Congress making good use of their time and our tax money passing laws that secure a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity.

MartinBlank
05-13-08, 08:53 AM
How come there's a whole thread directed to Chelsea Clinton? Shouldn't the OP have taken it to e-mail? Does Chelsea Clinton even read DVDTalk?

El Scorcho
05-13-08, 10:03 AM
So republicans hate your mother
and I hate republicans

therefore, I love all your mothers.

Th0r S1mpson
05-13-08, 10:14 AM

That's beautiful. :up:

creekdipper
05-15-08, 12:36 AM
The GOP has just lost the polygamist vote. :grouphug:

orangecrush
05-15-08, 08:18 AM
I would love to see the list of 178 mother hating republicans who voted against mothers day.
I would too. I would congratulate each one of them. When will congress stop creating absolutly stupid things like this to vote on? Why not have a vote to confirm that they all love ponies?

The Bus
05-15-08, 10:16 AM

Classic. :up: :lol:

mosquitobite
05-15-08, 12:33 PM
I would too. I would congratulate each one of them. When will congress stop creating absolutly stupid things like this to vote on? Why not have a vote to confirm that they all love ponies?

Can't we also claim the opposite side of this argument must therefore hate fathers since they didn't vote on a day to go all out for fathers? :rolleyes:

kvrdave
05-15-08, 12:37 PM
Vote tally here (http://www.govtrack.us/congress/vote.xpd?vote=h2008-275)

Great, now cinten isn't going to vote for them.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0