DVD Talk
What is the possibility that this could happen? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : What is the possibility that this could happen?

calhoun07
05-08-08, 10:54 PM
First off, I did contemplate putting this in Presidential Election Thread but this isn't really about the actual election, just a speculative idea that I thought would be better served in it's own thread.

What is the possibility of a McCain/Clinton ticket?

I actually think this is what they are going for. First off, John McCain has often referred to Abraham Lincoln in his speeches, saying over and over again that he is of the same party of Abraham Lincoln. Why does he keep on referencing Lincoln? There are plenty of famous Republicans he could invoke.

Back in 2004, John McCain wanted to be on the same ticket with John Kerry. McCain is all about the bipartisanship. This is why Ann Coulter hates him, because it is feared he is not true red.

McCain has yet to announce a running mate. Sure, he may be waiting for the convention, I guess that would make sense. Or is he just waiting to see how the Obama/Clinton campaigns turn out? Could he be biding his time, waiting in the wings to pull Clinton in to share the ticket with him?

McCain is always invoking the name of Lincoln, as I said. In 1964, Lincoln asked his VP Hannibal Hamlin to step aside and he got war Democrat Andrew Jackson to share the ticket with him. At the National Republican Convention, it was declared they would run under the "Union" party. The election came and McClellan/Pendleton, the Democratic ticket, did not stand a chance; it was a landslide victory for Lincoln in a Regan v. Mondale kind of way.

I really believe this is what McCain wants. As for Hillary...I guess we will see, but she seems bent on staying in this and is causing greater and greater dissent in the Democratic party, dissent that would only work to her favor if she agreed to become John McCain's running mate. Obama could pick anybody he wants to be his running mate, and there would be no defeating the McCain/Clinton ticket. I would even cringe to see the VP debates; Hillary would eat Obama's VP for lunch.

So McCain/Clinton takes office as of the inauguration in 2009. McCain may only term for four years and then bow down, leaving Hillary in a prefect position to snag the presidency in 2012. Or McCain dies in office, either due to natural causes or Bill's goons taking him out and she gains the presidency that way.

Hillary may not be thinking of this now, but if McCain makes his case to her, she would see it as a win/win. But I do believe Hillary is thinking of this, and knows it will happen.

chowderhead
05-08-08, 10:59 PM
no way, no day. the conservative right is already somewhat suspicious of McCain. No way, he can get away with picking someone as polarizing and antagonistic to the right as Clinton. It would be murder-suicide. Besides, McCain has to pick a good VeeP because at his age, there is a chance he may only serve one term if elected.

Edit: Lieberman is the only possible quasi-Democrat and that is until the Republicans find out about his social and economic views.

calhoun07
05-08-08, 11:01 PM
I would hate it if it did happen, but it would be hilarious seeing Ann Coulter have an aneurysm on live TV.

slateef
05-08-08, 11:16 PM
Will Never Happen.

mhg83
05-08-08, 11:17 PM
I thought Obama was gonna be Clintons running mate?

bhk
05-09-08, 01:10 AM
No chance. And if Obama chooses Clinton as his VP, he might be found with a kinfe in his back besides a suicide note. ;)

Numanoid
05-09-08, 01:14 AM
I give it a 99.9% chance!
Of not happening.

Groucho
05-09-08, 05:48 AM
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/4972/nun299bc891bh0.jpg

Red Dog
05-09-08, 07:22 AM
Beyond the absurdity of defecting to the GOP (even though I've stated on numerous occasions that I don't think Hillary is much different than a modern-day Republican), why do so many people think Hillary Clinton would prefer to be VP than remain in the Senate where she can wield much more power and influence particularly as one of the leaders of the majority party?

VinVega
05-09-08, 07:40 AM
Others here have given the proper reasons why it won't happen (McCain needing turnout of the Conservative base and the absolute hatred of the Clintons by the Conservative base). I'm in agreement with them.

Bandoman
05-09-08, 07:41 AM
I would hate it if it did happen, but it would be hilarious seeing Ann Coulter have an aneurysm on live TV.

Agree. :lol:

classicman2
05-09-08, 09:14 AM
Is ths thread really meant to be serious?

Even if hell froze over - it wouldn't happen.

wendersfan
05-09-08, 09:17 AM
I certainly hope not.Even if hell froze over - it wouldn't happen.Exactly.

Th0r S1mpson
05-09-08, 09:52 AM
What if Obama and McCain each agree to pick the other as their VP?

What if Ron Paul picks Thomas Jefferson?

wendersfan
05-09-08, 09:56 AM
What if Obama and McCain each agree to pick the other as their VP?Great idea. Obama could be president on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, McCain on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, and they could alternate Sundays! As ridiculous as it sounds, it's no more ridiculous than the subject of this thread. -ohbfrank-What if Ron Paul picks Thomas Jefferson?Would never happen. Jefferson liked Black people too much. ;)

VinVega
05-09-08, 09:58 AM
Great idea. Obama could be president on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, McCain on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, and they could alternate Sundays! As ridiculous as it sounds, it's no more ridiculous than the subject of this thread. -ohbfrank-
Such a h8ter. -ohbfrank-

Th0r S1mpson
05-09-08, 11:41 AM
It's funny that some people have said Hillary and Obama are pretty much the same thing in a different package.... and now we hear that Hillary and McCain really aren't that different... and yet, Obama allegedly represents something completely opposite of McCain... my head hurts. :(

Jason
05-09-08, 04:37 PM
why do so many people think Hillary Clinton would prefer to be VP than remain in the Senate where she can wield much more power and influence particularly as one of the leaders of the majority party?

That was always why I thought she shouldn't run for president in the first place.

calhoun07
05-09-08, 10:29 PM
It is meant to be speculative, that is all. But people have been discussing this topic in the blogosphere for several months now.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=McCain%2FClinton+ticket&btnG=Google+Search

Beyond the absurdity of defecting to the GOP

Nobody discussing this topic elsewhere is even proposing that Hillary would turn GOP. She'd remain true blue...it would be a bi-partisan ticket. It happened once before in history, what is to say it couldn't happen again? Andrew Jackson didn't become Republican, he was a Democrat who became a Republican's VP. I bet Hannibal Hamlin thought it was absurd at the time as well. And they didn't run in the general election as Democratic or Republican...they ran as the Union Party.

Others here have given the proper reasons why it won't happen (McCain needing turnout of the Conservative base and the absolute hatred of the Clintons by the Conservative base). I'm in agreement with them.

McCain would still have his supporters, albeit few, in the Conservative base. But he's facing running with another GOP candidate for his running mate in a nation where 70%+ disapprove of the current Conservative government in control of the White House. He knows his prospects are grim. So he either accepts his role in this as the sacrificial lamb for the GOP or he makes a gutsy move and asks Hillary to be his VP. Hillary would have her strong base of supporters from all the big states she says she won and claims Obama could never win, and let's be realistic: there are people out there who will NEVER vote for Obama, some for obvious reasons and some for not so obvious reasons. Democrats who would sit out in 2008's general election if he gets the nomination might turn out in droves for a McCain/Clinton Union ticket.

It probably won't happen, but given McCain's track record and how he wanted to be Kerry's VP in 2004, I really think he's biding his time and going to propose it to Hillary at some point in time. It may not happen, but I bet McCain wants it to.

GreenMonkey
05-10-08, 08:01 AM
I think this kind of bipartisanship died about a century ago.

If anything you'd see a McCain / Lieberman ticket. The Rs are welcome to take him.

McCain invokes Lincoln because he is widely regarded as one of the best presidents and he was a Republican. Back when being a Republican meant something totally different than it does now, but hey, what does that matter?

classicman2
05-10-08, 08:12 AM
I think Lieberman might be interested in the VP spot if he was reasonably certain that McCain was going to win in November.

Why all this hostility toward Lieberman?

dork
05-10-08, 08:19 AM
I think this kind of bipartisanship died about a century ago.

If anything you'd see a McCain / Lieberman ticket. The Rs are welcome to take him.

So you're a fan of bipartisanship then? :|

Red Dog
05-10-08, 08:25 AM
Lieberman as VP. Just when I thought my chances of voting McCain couldn't get any lower. ;)

Nobody discussing this topic elsewhere is even proposing that Hillary would turn GOP.

That's what it effectively is. She would need to be nominated at the GOP convention and approved. That has zero chance of happening.

Jason
05-10-08, 08:47 AM

Haven't you been paying attention the last 5 or so years?

GreenMonkey
05-10-08, 08:48 AM

Mainly his anti-videogame and pro-Iraq war stances for me. Doesn't help that he lost his primary and he's basically kept in office by Republicans voting lesser-of-two-evils.

calhoun07
05-11-08, 01:18 AM
That's what it effectively is. She would need to be nominated at the GOP convention and approved. That has zero chance of happening.

So what would it have taken for Kerry to make McCain his running mate in 2004 if he went along with the idea? McCain would have to be nominated at the Democratic convention? (I guess I never followed politics and the whole nomination process until now. Before this election, I just waited until they announced who was running for the general election, I watched the debates and made up my mind.)

Red Dog
05-11-08, 08:06 AM
McCain would have had to be nominated for the VP slot at the DNC. What generally happens is that the person who has the Prez nomination of a party locked up will announce their choice for running mate before the convention. Then that choice is nominated and approved at the convention and they give some B.S. speech.

Nick Danger
05-11-08, 09:27 AM
Hasn't Bill Clinton spent the last few decades trying to strengthen the Democratic party? Would he be happy with the idea of helping a Republican getting elected president?

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0