DVD Talk
Florida to become the 51st state? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Florida to become the 51st state?

Laser Movies
05-08-08, 04:55 PM
I didn't see this posted but thought it was sort of interesting and funny. I vote for total secession from the U.S. as a better option.

http://www.nbc6.net/news/16194092/detail.html

Margate Votes In Favor Of Splitting Fla. Into 2 States
North Lauderdale Also Approves Resolution

POSTED: 8:43 pm EDT May 7, 2008
UPDATED: 8:42 am EDT May 8, 2008

MARGATE, Fla. -- The 50 states could soon be 51 after South Florida lawmakers discussed this week the splitting of the Sunshine State in two.

The complaint made by Broward County lawmakers that South Florida has different needs than the rest of the state has been going on for decades.

There has been a move by two cities in the county to split the state into North Florida and South Florida. Their idea is to have South Florida consist of Palm Beach, Broward, Miami-Dade and Monroe counties.

The city of Margate unanimously passed the resolution on Wednesday. North Lauderdale had already passed the same measure.

Lawmakers in the area complained that South Florida's needs are much different than the rest of the state's. They said it's more culturally diverse and more urban than North Florida.

However, for decades, legislators in Tallahassee in the north part of the state have held sway over what happens in South Florida.

The complaint started with North Lauderdale Mayor Jack Brady. Margate Mayor Pam Donovan recently joined in the secession movement.

"We're fighting for the people," Brady said. "We're fighting for our residents, and our residents are here in North Lauderdale in South Florida. It's not a one-size-fits-all shoe. You can't handle a problem in a state that one thing that's good for North Florida is also good for South Florida. We're more urbanized. Our needs are completely different."

"We have problems," Donovan said. "We're big and urbanized. When our money goes up to other portions of the state when we can use it here to help us, help our children, help our housing crisis, help everything else and we don't get it, we have to do something."

The mayors said they're tired of seeing South Florida schools being under-funded from Tallahassee.

"We try and talk to (legislators)," Donovan said. "We try and present our issues. We try and do all that and you just won't listen."

Donovan said she was appalled to see, in person, how much time the legislature wasted on what she called trivial matters.

"They spent another two hours -- we sat in the Senate -- talking about 'truck nuts,'" she said. "I didn't even know what it was. I had to go look online to see what it was."

South Florida lawmakers said tourism in the area could be enough to fuel the economy without Tallahassee's help. The cruise industry is based out of Miami and the Florida Keys are a big draw.

However, there are a lot of obstacles in the way, including which side would get Lake Okeechobee.

The two mayors said they're not giving up.

"Our citizens deserve a break," Brady said.

A proposal was made in the 1970s to split the state, but it did not go through. Elected officials on Wednesday said the resolution is probably a symbolic gesture. They want other South Florida municipalities to join with them.

porieux
05-08-08, 05:01 PM
Florida is truly a despicable place.

VinVega
05-08-08, 05:22 PM
Florida is truly a despicable place.
That's exactly why I moved here. ;)

I think they run their government ass backwards here, but it's a pretty cool state to live in actually.

In other secession news, long live the Conch Republic!

http://daveaustin.us/images/conch%20republic%20flag.jpg

kvrdave
05-08-08, 05:23 PM
There's a lot to it. Eastern Washington talks about doing this a fair amount.

Best thing we could do is just do a boundary line adjustment with Oregon along the Cascades.

Bacon
05-08-08, 05:31 PM
So if this happens there will be Florida and south of there Head of Penis or HoP for short?

Red Dog
05-08-08, 06:29 PM
This same crap happens in every state where one more affluent part feels like they subsidize the rest of the state. Nothing ever comes of it.

aintnosin
05-08-08, 06:34 PM
I'm sure some folks in California could get behind a North/South split here. Actually an East/West split would be more to my liking. Carve out the 100 miles closest to the coast and you'd have the bluest blue state in the union. The other 90% of California is mostly red state and I would be happy enough to move inland a ways.

B.A.
05-08-08, 09:33 PM
Chicago is practically its own state w/in a state.

bhk
05-09-08, 01:11 AM
They can get in line right after Canada, the original 51st state.

Numanoid
05-09-08, 01:17 AM
Calling it Florida and South Georgia would be more accurate.

BKenn01
05-11-08, 01:05 AM
Chicago is practically its own state w/in a state.

That is funny. It is so true. I am in HR and our company recently built their first unit in Ill. It has been nothing but a pain in the Ass. What a total Anti Business state. The people you meet will tell you it is all because of Chicago.

Breakfast with Girls
05-11-08, 12:46 PM
Lawmakers in the area complained that South Florida's needs are much different than the rest of the state's. They said it's more "culturally diverse" and more "urban" than North Florida. Lawmakers then winked and said, "I think you know what we mean."Fixed.

NotThatGuy
05-12-08, 11:02 AM
Forget about state, S. FL is really a whole 'nother (foreign) country compared to N. FL. Oh, and all of those extra diverse people they are talking about....illegals who suck our tax dollars dry.....not exactly something I want to encourage.

Good 'ol Broward/Miami Dade representin'!

The Bus
05-12-08, 11:31 AM
Forget about state, S. FL is really a whole 'nother (foreign) country compared to N. FL. Oh, and all of those extra diverse people they are talking about....illegals who suck our tax dollars dry

Yes. 100% of Florida's non-white population is illegal, and has been for the past 150 years.

darkflounder
05-12-08, 10:49 PM
I'm sure some folks in California could get behind a North/South split here. Actually an East/West split would be more to my liking. Carve out the 100 miles closest to the coast and you'd have the bluest blue state in the union. The other 90% of California is mostly red state and I would be happy enough to move inland a ways.

That's brilliant! I grew up close to Death Valley, and I can totally agree with that.

And they've got the ideal method of revenue. Turn I-15 between Los Angeles and Las Vegas into a toll road.

dan30oly
05-13-08, 02:51 AM
There's a lot to it. Eastern Washington talks about doing this a fair amount.

Best thing we could do is just do a boundary line adjustment with Oregon along the Cascades.

This same crap happens in every state where one more affluent part feels like they subsidize the rest of the state. Nothing ever comes of it.
Except in the case of Washington State, it's the eastern Washingtoners that want to split off and they are the one's being subsidized big-time by the western side of the state. If Western Washington weren't subsidizing the Eastern part of the state, we might just have some money to pay for some road improvments.

I've also read that the second that division would happen, Eastern Washington State would immediately be the poorest state in the country.

NotThatGuy
05-14-08, 09:58 PM
Yes. 100% of Florida's non-white population is illegal, and has been for the past 150 years.
You know that isn't what I meant.

I would argue that the money they are talking about is largely going to social and related services, which *are* being negatively impacted by the countless illegals down here.

foggy
05-14-08, 10:44 PM

QFT. It's closer to 200 years though. Florida became a US territory in 1819. We can all be disingenuous and ironical. It's fun.

Seriously though, I think this is a case of be careful what you wish for. The state can only divide up the money that goes into the hands of the state. Most of that in Florida comes from sales tax (there is no income tax). If these cities want more money for their schools then they should raise local property taxes.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0