Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Paramount UK Sleuth re-release

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 05-05-08, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anybody have any substantial info on Paramount UK's somewhat under-the-radar April 29 re-release of the original 1972 version? So far I haven't been able to find one review or even basic info on specs. I want to know all the good stuff: Is it a port of the transfer from the oop anamorphic Anchor Bay edition, or a new one? Are there any new extras? Completely bare bones? If I had to take a guess, I'd say it's a new, better-looking transfer on a completely bare bones disc. Just a hunch. But I'd love to know.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sleuth-Laure...0043115&sr=1-1
Old 05-05-08, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

According to retail sites, it has the featurette from the Anchor Bay and anamorphic widescreen. that's all I could gather
Old 05-06-08, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by manicsounds
According to retail sites, it has the featurette from the Anchor Bay and anamorphic widescreen. that's all I could gather
Someone over at DVDForums (UK) says the new R2UK re-release are totally barebone.

Last edited by Dane; 05-06-08 at 12:15 AM.
Old 05-06-08, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Dane
Someone over at DVDForums (UK) says the new R2UK re-release are totally barebone.
I found that thread over at the Dvdforums. Appears it is in fact bare bones. Disappointing, but pretty much what I expected. I do still wonder if it's a new transfer, though. Oh well, I think I'll scoop it up anyway.
Old 05-06-08, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Alkaline
I found that thread over at the Dvdforums. Appears it is in fact bare bones. Disappointing, but pretty much what I expected. I do still wonder if it's a new transfer, though. Oh well, I think I'll scoop it up anyway.
Guess, IŽll stick with the re-release as well. Not worth it getting the R1 OOP.
Old 05-10-08, 02:10 PM

I ordered it from Amazon UK and watched it last night. Just verifying it is completely bare bones, not even a trailer. But the transfer doesn't look bad at all. What is sort of bizarre is that the transfer is anamorphic but the opening credits are fully windowboxed at about 1.66:1, where as the rest of the film is full 1.78:1 / 1.85:1 (not sure which due to my tv's overscan). Does anyone know if the Anchor Bay disc was like this (the second release, not their original 1.66:1 non-anamorphic disc) ? I think that would show if this is the same transfer or a new one.