Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Alternative-country/country-rock/bluegrass/americana/folk-rock, etc.

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 05-02-08, 02:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody else a fan? I'm sure plenty are familiar with or even into some more well-known stuff like Hank Williams III, Okkervil River, Bonnie "Prince" Billy and Wilco, but to be honest stuff like this doesn't do much for me. For my tastes and style, the most well-known, quintessential album that embodies the sound I enjoy most from these genres has got to be Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska. I have of course expanded my tastes to enjoy many different types of twangy-goodness, and some of my favorites are:

16 Horsepower: Seminal alt-country band 16 Horsepower, led by David Eugene Edwards, is one of the earliest instances where anything twangy was brought into and accepted by the younger alternative/indie community. Staple instruments included the banjo, steel-stringed guitars and resonators, and even Accordians. They are definitely pioneers, whose long-term potential was sadly cut short by internal problems, having only released five proper studio albums. Though, the legacy lives on in a mutated yet equally beautiful form in Edwards' own project, Woven Hand. Definitely check them both out.

Alela Diane: Singer/songwriter from Northern California with a rather angelic yet off-kilter voice, sounding sometimes Appalachian (she even yodels occasionally). Her 2006 album The Pirate's Gospel is truly wonderful. Some of my favorites from it are, "Oh! My Mama", "Foreign Tongue," and "Pieces of String." A really good off-album track, that is available free for download (along with a few others), called "To Be Still" is available HERE. She’s sure to blow up like Regina Spektor or Cat Power any day now, I’m pretty certain of it.

Aaron Ross: Another mountain folkster, and labelmate of Alela Diane, is Aaron Ross. He's recently gotten a good deal of attention by committing the perceived blasphemy of joining the long-termed two-piece instrumental act Hella as lead singer. Though, where he really shines through is his past albums as a folk singer. His 2003 album The Hallelujah Side is eleven songs of solo acoustic guitar and vocals, and nothing else, yet it's mesmerizing. His more recent and experimental efforts, 2007's Shapeshifter is no less engrossing, as he allows his voice to even further ape Dylan's signature idiosyncrasies. Though, my favorite song of his, which I still claim to be one of my favorite songs of all time, is "Warlock," which is downloadable on the above official myspace link. His most traditional and straight-forward sounding voice was a wise choice here, and the overall effect of this 8-minute opus is truly enchanting.

Frontier Folk Nebraska: Great alt-country/americana band from Kentucky that unashamedly allows their Springsteen influences to really shine through. The guitar work is really nice, and the ever-present and always slow fiddle makes every song. Of course the sorrowful vocals and stories can not be ignored. My favorite from their self-released EP The Devil's Tree is the second to last song, "Brandy Wine Rd."

Murder by Death: Very rockin’ Indiana band, and still with a lot of dust and grit in their throats and veins, and a stunning to look at as well as hear cello player. I think they have the best song and album of 2008 thus far, ”Ash” (click the 'play' button at the bottom of the page) from the album Red of Tooth and Claw. Very good late night listening and driving music.

o’death: Like a little stomp with your twang? o’death brings the ruckus with both a feverish violinist and a manic drummer (or rather, percussionist, as he only actually bangs on traditional drums half of the time…the other half is used up by gas cans, wooden blocks, chain links and other assorted clangy things), and one of the most nasally, oddly endearing screechers of a lead singer I’ve ever heard. Definitely listen to “Head Home” and “Ground Stump.”

Briertone: Another California band here, one featuring much more electric guitar than most others I’ve got listed here. Forsaken, fearful and bitter believers with so much conviction, all they seem to be able to do is release EPs haha. Heavy dose of southern rock in here as well, and often sing triumphant ballads with great instrumentation. They even cover 16 Horsepower on their Sojourners EP, rather respectfully too. New album coming out this year!

Elliott Brood: Canadian band featuring a soulful singer that likes to linger on his notes, the band strumming forward. Very gothic, so far as to call themselves “death country,” and it shows in the somber tones they create. New album coming out this year!…also!

Slacks: This mostly-instrumental alt-country/rock/bluegrass band started as two extreme metalheads’ side project, so it is not that unfair that their 2005 EP was called by one reviewer “as beautiful and well played a guitar rock record as any Cream album.” If you heard the song “The Man Who Couldn’t Rage,” I don’t think you would be able to do anything but agree.

White Sands: Who would’ve ever guessed that americana this excellent would come from The Netherlands? Everything about this band and their debut album Deseronto is perfect in my opinion. It’s one of my three favorite albums from last year, of any genre.

Now, if you read anything that sounds like something you might like, please check it out! If you do like it, well, say so! Also, I’ve definitely got some more, so if your interest has been piqued, don’t be afraid to further inquire. But especially, I myself most definitely want some recommendations. If you think you might have something for me, let me know.
Old 05-02-08, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ryan Adams is brilliant.

= J
Old 05-02-08, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
some of my favorites:

Neko Case
The Waco Brothers
The Handsome Family
Bobby Bare Jr.
Alejandro Escovedo
Jon Langford
Robbie Fulks
Trailer Bride
Old 05-02-08, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Sun Kil Moon needs to be on this list.
Old 05-02-08, 08:12 AM

I like Lucero.
Old 05-02-08, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Drive-by Truckers!
Old 05-02-08, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll put in another vote for anything that has Bobby Bare Jr's name attached to it. I think he's on Bloodshot Records, so you could check out other stuff from that label. If I remember correctly the Silver Jews fall into this camp, also.
Old 05-02-08, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by slop101
Drive-by Truckers!
Goddamn their new album is fantastic. The opening song is really hard for me to listen to, especially once I found out what it was about (look it up).

Also, if DBT is in, you've got to include My Morning Jacket who's last few albums (and the live one) have been terrific.
Old 05-02-08, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Califone and Iron & Wine for me.
Old 05-02-08, 03:36 PM

Check out this guy Samamidon, bluegrass covers backed by ambient electronics, very cool.
Old 05-02-08, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Drag the River, Lucero, Chuck Ragan, and Tim Barry are some of my favorites. Of course The Drive-By Truckers, The Bottlerockets, Whiskeytown, and Ryan Adams are awesome as well.
Old 05-02-08, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 132 Likes on 87 Posts
I'll mention Joe Henry only because his first few albums tend to get lumped into the alt.country genre. I personally don't agree, but that may be because I started with Fuse and don't consider it much of a leap from his earlier stuff like Trampoline.

Along those same lines, I'm not sure if Southern Culture on the Skids should qualify since a good chunk of their stuff is rockabilly or surf, but they are a lot of fun, even if their live shows are getting progressively more dull.

The Jayhawks kick all sorts of ass. Varnaline. Freedy Johnston. Lucero and Drive-By Truckers are good mentions. Map of Wyoming (available on eMusic) does some good stuff, just too much of the same stuff. The Pernice Brothers, with Joe live and acoustic being a particularly special treat.
Old 05-02-08, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts
Cowboy Junkies.

I love their version of Sweet Jane on the debut album.
Old 05-03-08, 02:13 PM

Jason and the Scorchers
Old 05-03-08, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Drive-by Truckers and Alejandro Escovedo are awesome.
Chris Knight is one of the best singer/songwriters I've ever heard.