Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

the 2 girls in the car scene in "Bad Lieutenant"

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-01-08, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, whats the real point of this scene? Even though i really like this movie, this is the one part that does feel somewhat gratuitus.

For those that have never seen it, Harvey Kietel as a cop, pulls 2 girls over for a traffic violation. Essentially, it ends with Keitel jerking off as he imagins the driver sucking him off, and the other girl showing her ass. It for some reason comes off as disturbing than arousing.
Old 05-01-08, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Were you watching IFC last night?
Old 05-01-08, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This scene is both funny and sick at the same time.I figure they were just showing how far gone Harvey's character was going.
I once read that one of the girls in the car was actually Harvey's real daughter.
If this is true than the scene is even more twisted.
Old 05-01-08, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gratuitous? The whole film is in a way. It's just one long exercise in a conflicted but terrible person's life. That scene manages to add some vague comic relief while still being one of the most repulsive things he's done. He really is a bad lieutenant.
Old 05-01-08, 02:15 PM

That wasn't Harvey's daughter, it was his daughter's babysitter. But Harvey's daughter does play his daughter in the film.

Amazing scene. Every time you watch it, there's something different about it.
Old 05-01-08, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts
Excellent movie. I caught it for the first time on IFC a couple months ago.

I don't think it was intended for arousal. It shows how corrupt and terrible the guy is.

There's some pretty indepth writeups out there, if your'e interested.
Old 05-01-08, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It is an excellent film. I've always thought the point of the scene was the show just how mad with power and invincible he feels. As a cop, he thinks he can do anything to anyone. So when he pulls these two girls over he decides to do exactly what he wants. Some people might think about seeing 2 girls doing those things, he thinks that with his job he can make them do anything he wants. What a totally fucked up guy. Easily one of Kietel's best performances.
Old 05-02-08, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RagingBull80
Were you watching IFC last night?
yeah So what was exaclty cut for the R version. I assume its part of this scene and the rape of the nun?
Old 05-02-08, 06:49 AM

I once read that one of the girls in the car was actually Harvey's real daughter.
How could you even think that this is true???

As for the purpose, it was supposed to be disturbing, not arousing. After that scene you`re left in no doubt as to what depths his character is prepared to go.
Old 05-02-08, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
yeah So what was exaclty cut for the R version. I assume its part of this scene and the rape of the nun?
I didn't notice anything from the car scene that was cut for the R-rated version. The rape of the nun was cut; mainly the "thrusting" shots were shortened and it was less apparent that she was violated with the crucifix. The LT's scenes with the girls in the apartment were also cut, omitting the (clothed) brunette gagging the (naked) blonde with a scarf and doing some thrusting of her own as well as the LT whimpering staggering around naked. Added to this scene for the R-rated version was more dialogue between the LT and his girls - where the brunette wonders where her rent money is and the blonde gets introduced to the LT and an additional scene of the three of them dancing to a song not listed in the credits (not the Johnny Ace one).