Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Opeth - Watershed (June 3rd, 2008)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-08, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Just wanted to started an individual thread on this.

I was able to hear this in full a few times, and it has left me immensely satisfied in where Mikael is taking the project.

My first impression is this record is definitely more "adventurous" than Ghost Reveries, which I consider my favorite Opeth CD so far. (BTW I got into them around the Deliverance/Damnation era).

I'm happy to say the drums are quite awesome, and while I would have loved to hear Lopez on this record, the drums are great.

Another standout is Mikael's clean vocals, of which there are more on this record than rough vocals. "Burden" is frickin' beautiful, and shows just how great a singer Mikael really is.

On the flipside there are equally some of the most brutal Opeth riffs and sections as I've heard on any of their 9 records.

This release easily sits right at the top of all their releases for me. I cannot wait to get my hands on the full package in June.
Old 04-27-08, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I listened as well. Another high quality release I'd say. Although I don't like some of the keyboard stuff going on. The Deluxe/LE looks to have some nice extra tracks as well. Can't wait to hear those.
Old 04-27-08, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

See I love keys in metal as long as they're not the cheesy kind. Vintage analog stuff is cool.
Old 04-28-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I ordered the deluxe edition from The Omega Order, which includes lots of goodies. I love the two tracks I've heard so far. This is probably going to be my favorite album of the year.
Old 04-28-08, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Definitely looking forward to this (and seeing them on the Progressive Nation tour in a couple of weeks)
Old 04-28-08, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I ordered the deluxe edition from The Omega Order, which includes lots of goodies. I love the two tracks I've heard so far. This is probably going to be my favorite album of the year.
I'm assuming you've heard "The Lotus Eater" and "Porcelain Heart". Those definitely the two strongest tracks on there IMO.

The record is about 55 minutes, so it's not a marathon. 7 songs total.

I can't think of anything else that would be coming this year that could be my album of the year over this, unless Steven Wilson gets his solo album out and it's just as good as Porcupine Tree or Blackfield.
Old 05-01-08, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So I finally listened to this today. After one listen, my opinions are mixed. It's a huge, complex album, but it didn't grab me at first listen like Blackwater Park, Still Life or Ghost Reveries did. It feels very experimental to me... particularly the use of tonal dissonance which lasts a little too long on some songs. I do like that there's a lot of clean vocals... and the cool analog keys definitely recall the better moments of Damnation. My favorite songs so far are Heir Apparent and Porcelein Heart. Lotus Eaters I'm not sure about at all.

I'll probably listen to it all day and see how I feel though. Hopefully it will grow on me.
Old 05-01-08, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've heard this now about 12 times in the past week. Still loving all of it.

Mordred, you are definitely correct about the dissonance - lots of that in some of the tunes.

Hex Omega is starting to become one of my favorites - I love the end riff.

Burden could have easily been released on Damnation. I admit I am a sucker for the mellotron stuff.

I'm not sure this will dethrone Ghost Reveries as my favorite, but it's still right up there with Blackwater Park and Deliverance for me, although the former has more catchy riffs IMO.
Old 05-03-08, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've only listened to the album once so far, but it sounded on par with Ghost Reveries, which I love.
Old 05-06-08, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, I broke my rule of not listening to albums that leak and I dl'd this. I was actually just looking for a free MP3 of "Porcelain Heart" and stumbled across a zip file of the album. Too hard to resist. So far, so f'in good. I really like this album a lot. It has great atmosphere, complex arrangements and Akerfeldt sounds hauntingly beautiful. I'm not sure where I'd place it on a list of favorite albums yet. It is lacking a bit in the harsh vocal category, but the album is so awesome it's easy to dismiss that. Opeth albums generally take a while to sink in due to their overwhelming complexity, so I won't fully judge it yet. Suffice it to say, it kicks ass. I can't wait to get my Deluxe Edition with all the bonus tracks and other goodies.
Old 05-06-08, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Glad to hear you guys like it too. I can't get it out of my head.

I've never gotten to the "memorization" level of familiarity with their first few records, so I took a break from Watershed and put on My Arms, Your Hearse. Man, great record. I must have not paid as much attention to it when I first got it. If it had the same sound quality as Deliverance or Ghost Reveries I'd be listening to it even more.

Back to Watershed, the only thing I think might be an issue for me with the recording is the sonic clarity between instruments in some parts. I say *might* because I don't know if the MP3 encode is what's causing it to not sound as good as some of the other later records. Still can't wait for the real CD.
Old 05-16-08, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I figured I'd bump this thread up since a lot of the "good month for metal" thread seems to be dedicated to this album.

Quick note: Mikael just recently stated in an interview that the exclusive track "Mellotron Heart" that is only available through TheOmegaOrder is actually a re-working of "Porcelain Heart" only with a mellotron and moog. He said it's very dark and moody. Sounds great to me. I can't wait to hear it.
Old 06-02-08, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I got my CD/DVD set from The End over the weekend.

So nice to have the real CD finally. Definitely sounds much better cranked on my car stereo.

Haven't had a chance to listen to the 3 bonus tracks yet, but the beginning of Derelict Herds sounds really cool.

Did watch the rehearsals documentary. Definitely made me respect the new guys more. Fredrik (new guitarist) is an awesome player, and I love how he obviously composes his solos to be played the same way every time. The stuff with him and Mikael just jamming sounds just like it does on the record. And Axe just makes those drum parts look so easy.

I would love to be in a band that creative. Maybe I'll try to assassinate Mendez and take his place. (j/k)
Old 06-02-08, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ Did you get any of the limited items, like the autographed booklet or Mellotron Heart single?
Old 06-02-08, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ Did you get any of the limited items, like the autographed booklet or Mellotron Heart single?
No. I'm not big on autographs. I don't remember what packages had Mellotron Heart. I don't have a vinyl player so I didn't look at that package either.
Old 06-02-08, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Got mine today. Wow, what a f'in sweet set. I got the LP, which comes with a poster, expanded (read: larger) artwork, the "Derelict Herds" bonus track and a CD containing all the tracks plus the bonus, the Special Edition CD which comes in a digipack-envelope thing and has the expanded booklet, and the CD and DVD in their own separate sleeves, plus I got an autographed booklet and the Mellotron Heart single.

Only one complaint: the 3 bonus tracks on the Special Edition are only available to listen to on the DVD. How the hell am I supposed to get them ripped into my itunes?

Other than that gripe this is a beautiful set for a great album.
Old 06-02-08, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Got mine today. Wow, what a f'in sweet set. I got the LP, which comes with a poster, expanded (read: larger) artwork, the "Derelict Herds" bonus track and a CD containing all the tracks plus the bonus, the Special Edition CD which comes in a digipack-envelope thing and has the expanded booklet, and the CD and DVD in their own separate sleeves, plus I got an autographed booklet and the Mellotron Heart single.

Only one complaint: the 3 bonus tracks on the Special Edition are only available to listen to on the DVD. How the hell am I supposed to get them ripped into my itunes?

Other than that gripe this is a beautiful set for a great album.
There are programs out there which help you rip DVD audio to WAV (or any format). I had to to then normalize the audio on the bonus tracks in Sound Forge to level match the album tracks.
Old 06-03-08, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My copy came in from Omega last night.
I'm only about 1/3 of the way through the first spin, but wow.
This album is fricking awesome.
Old 06-03-08, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Some independent stores received copies of Mellotron Heart to give away with Watershed. Be sure to ask for it (that's how I got mine).
Old 06-03-08, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know if it's because it contrasts the opener "Coil" so much, but the first verse of "Heir Apparent" seems like one of the most brutal riff/vocal combinations I've ever heard from them.
Old 06-03-08, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Picked up my copy of the CD/DVD set at Best Buy this morning for $17.99. I was kind of surprised, but they didn't have any of the CD only versions there (not that I wanted that).

I'll be watching the DVD over my lunch break.
Old 06-03-08, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Wasn't there supposed to be a cover of AiC's Would? on this album somewhere? I don't see it in any of the Watershed packages.
Old 06-03-08, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joeblow69
Wasn't there supposed to be a cover of AiC's Would? on this album somewhere? I don't see it in any of the Watershed packages.
According to Wikipedia: "A cover of "Would?" by Alice in Chains was also recorded but has not been released."
Old 06-03-08, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mordred
According to Wikipedia: "A cover of "Would?" by Alice in Chains was also recorded but has not been released."
I've also heard that Mikael may not have been happy with how it came out, so they might not release it at all.

Although knowing RR I'm sure it'll show up on some Watershed: 3-disc DE.
Old 06-03-08, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

got my lp, cd and autographed booklet. I haven't heard the album yet, so I have that to look forward to. It took me a bit to get into Ghost Reveries, but once it clicked, I was hooked. A cover of "Would?" would be badass. I'm not sure how that could come out bad.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.