Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Godfather Trilogy: Remastered - Steelbook Edition (R2) - June 2nd

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-08, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazon.co.uk

Put aside BR/HD, anyone getting this? Or will there be a steelbook edition for R1?

Last edited by Apone; 04-21-08 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-21-08, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The US hasn't announced any plans for the Godfather remasters.
As for the steelbook, 5 discs in 1 case? spacesaver.....

But it is 1p more than the regular case....
Old 04-22-08, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Hopefully this "Coppola Remaster" will be better than the travesty visited upon Bram Stoker's Dracula.
Old 04-22-08, 09:43 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
Hopefully this "Coppola Remaster" will be better than the travesty visited upon Bram Stoker's Dracula.
word
Old 04-22-08, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That is nice. Might have to splurge on this.
Old 04-23-08, 12:45 AM
Banned

Steelbook? I'm in!
Old 04-23-08, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I don't believe that Mr. Harris' work could be described as travesty. The fact that certain fans attempted to prove that their "vision" of the film was the correct one certainly is.

Pro-B
Old 04-23-08, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
I don't believe that Mr. Harris' work could be described as travesty. The fact that certain fans attempted to prove that their "vision" of the film was the correct one certainly is.
Mr. Harris did not work on the remastering of that film. He merely stated his opinions on it. Many of us disagree with his opinions, which do not seem to be supported by any facts regarding the history of the film.
Old 04-23-08, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Mr. Harris endorsed the print and has made specific comments that more than merely dismissed D. Mack's attempts to discredit the restoration. So, your "travesty" comments are completely out of line. Unless you regard yourself an expert on the issue and believe that what has been made clear in past discussions is somehow invalidated.

I have no doubt that the new restoration for the Godfather won't be a travesty.

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 04-23-08 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-23-08, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mr. Harris endorsed the print and has made specific comments that more than merely dismissed D. Mack's attempts to discredit the restoration. So, your "travesty" comments are completely out of line. Unless you regard yourself an expert on the issue and believe that what has been made clear in past discussions is somehow invalidated.
I'm not going to rehash that argument. There was a long thread on the subject in the main forum here, as well as one on AVSForum. The recent transfer for Bram Stoker's Dracula looks like garbage, as you can clearly see with your own two eyes.

As knowledgeable and respected an authority as Robert Harris is, he is also human and can make mistakes, which he has clearly done here. I do not find convincing his assertion that the movie was supposed to look unwatchably dark and fuzzy because some faded archive print scraped off the Zoetrope basement floor looked that way. The new transfer does not resemble any prior version of the film, all of which (from theater to VHS, laserdisc, and DVD) have been beautiful.
Old 04-23-08, 07:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Mr. Harris did not work on the remastering of that film. He merely stated his opinions on it. Many of us disagree with his opinions, which do not seem to be supported by any facts regarding the history of the film.
+1

If he is involved in a restoration then the results are great, but when he comments on other restorations/remasterings, he seems to make politically correct statements not objective ones. His statement of support of the Sony 'remastering' of Zoetrope's Dracula is clearly in this camp. Surely, it wasnt because he was working for Sony at the time on the Blu-ray update for Lawrence of Arabia, probably with some of the same team responsible for Dracula?

Can you say 'conflict of interest'?
Old 04-23-08, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'm not going to rehash that argument. There was a long thread on the subject in the main forum here, as well as one on AVSForum. The recent transfer for Bram Stoker's Dracula looks like garbage, as you can clearly see with your own two eyes.
I own the BR and it most certainly does not look like garbage to me. Hence why I countered your statement. So, no need for you to bring more controversy in the International forum from the HD section.

As knowledgeable and respected an authority as Robert Harris is, he is also human and can make mistakes, which he has clearly done here. I do not find convincing his assertion that the movie was supposed to look unwatchably dark and fuzzy because some faded archive print scraped off the Zoetrope basement floor looked that way. The new transfer does not resemble any prior version of the film, all of which (from theater to VHS, laserdisc, and DVD) have been beautiful.
The problem with your claim above is that no one has proven that Mr.Harris' evaluation of the restoration is a mistake. Quite the contrary, he made it very clear that the criticism unleashed by D.Mack was unfounded. With other words, I have every reason to believe the expert's words, as well as my eyes, and not the unsubstantiated claims of an internet poster whose qualifications in the field of film restoration are non-existent.

Finally, since you are convinced that Mr.Harris has clearly made a mistake perhaps it is a good idea that you step up and confront him publicly over the issue. He has been very visible on certain forums and very helpful with his analysis.

Originally Posted by HumanMedia
If he is involved in a restoration then the results are great, but when he comments on other restorations/remasterings, he seems to make politically correct statements not objective ones. His statement of support of the Sony 'remastering' of Zoetrope's Dracula is clearly in this camp. Surely, it wasnt because he was working for Sony at the time on the Blu-ray update for Lawrence of Arabia, probably with some of the same team responsible for Dracula?
Next time you decide to come forward and question the evaluation of an expert such as Mr. Harris, as well as question his integrity, I suggest you at least do a bit of research: SONY were in no way involved with the restoration of this film. Even if it seems so. Period.

Ciao,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 04-23-08 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-24-08, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I own the BR and it most certainly does not look like garbage to me.
Of course not, because you enjoy being argumentative just for the sake of it.

Perhaps if you understood anything about the history of the film, you would recognize what a travesty it is that the new transfer has such severe black crush that many of the painstakingly-constructed visual effects are now completely eradicated from the image. Perhaps then you would be appalled that the critical use of color in the costumes and photography has been utterly drained away for no apparent artistic purpose.

Finally, since you are convinced that Mr.Harris has clearly made a mistake perhaps it is a good idea that you step up and confront him publicly over the issue. He has been very visible on certain forums and very helpful with his analysis.
Mr. Harris only posts on forums where the moderators purge any posts that disagree with their own opinions and banish the members who post them. I do not find it possible to engage in meaningful conversation there.

Last edited by Josh Z; 04-24-08 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-24-08, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Perhaps if you understood anything about the history of the film, you would recognize what a travesty it is that the new transfer has such severe black crush that many of the painstakingly-constructed visual effects are now completely eradicated from the image.
I asked you earlier and you evaded my question, so I would ask again: what qualifications do you have in the field of film restoration to act from a position of authority? I know Mr. Harris and his record.

Mr. Harris only posts on forums where the moderators purge any posts that disagree with their own opinions and banish the members who post them. I do not find it possible to engage in meaningful conversation there.
This sort of reply is why your writings/critique have absolutely zero credibility. You have been addressed for your tactics numerous times and once again you instigate a public dispute where you attack someone else's work and integrity in his absence. You did the same with a fellow journalist who contrary to your fears came to this forum to defend himself.

No need for any further replies. The question I asked earlier was rhetorical: you are nether an expert nor an authority in the field of film restoration.

Pro-B
Old 04-24-08, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I asked you earlier and you evaded my question, so I would ask again: what qualifications do you have in the field of film restoration to act from a position of authority? I know Mr. Harris and his record.
On the subject of Bram Stoker's Dracula, I have exactly as much experience as Mr. Harris does, in that neither of us worked on the production or the restoration. We've both seen the film numerous times and have our opinions on the proper presentation.

I respect Mr. Harris' opinion, but I do not share it. As rational, thinking, civilized adults, we may have differences of opinion. Were we to discuss the matter, I'm sure we could have a civil conversation about it and share each other's viewpoints without resorting to rude behavior or personal attacks.

If only that were true of everyone...

This sort of reply is why your writings/critique have absolutely zero credibility. You have been addressed for your tactics numerous times
I believe you have me confused with someone else.

Last edited by Josh Z; 04-25-08 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-24-08, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts
I asked you earlier and you evaded my question, so I would ask again: what qualifications do you have in the field of film restoration to act from a position of authority?
Not to get in the middle of things here, but unless you edited a post somewhere, you didn't ask him that question previous to this. You made a statement along the same lines, but never asked a direct question. Furthermore, you just went on to state that the question is rhetorical, so there would be no sense in Josh answering it anyway. Clearly there was no evasion.

Anyway, I thought this thread was about the Godfather. I'm looking forward seeing the new restoration and crossing my fingers that it will be released on Blu-ray somewhere.
Old 04-24-08, 04:26 PM

I've gone ahead & pre-ordered this; £18 seems pretty OK for the 5 discs in a nice-looking steelbook...

Dazza.
Old 04-24-08, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Stop your petty fighting. This is a beautiful SteelBook!
Old 04-24-08, 07:19 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 906 Likes on 766 Posts
Originally Posted by manicsounds
The US hasn't announced any plans for the Godfather remasters.
As for the steelbook, 5 discs in 1 case?
i have a few now with 6 in one case and it fits nice.

this is a no brainer for me. US or not, as they won't get a steelie most likely.
Old 04-25-08, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I believe you have me confused with someone else.
I am tempted to quote what Bill Hunt had to say about your tactics in another thread at TALK, to clear your confusion, but I realize that it won't change anything: you will continue to push people's buttons - just as you are currently doing in the HD forum.

Back to the Godfather now...

Pro-B
Old 04-25-08, 10:52 AM

This from the HD DVD fanboy with the 720p projector.
Same old tired fluff.

Last edited by dobyblue; 04-25-08 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-25-08, 11:50 AM

Ugh, enough with the bickering. Doby, there's no need to egg them on. We all know where you stood when there was a format war.
Old 04-25-08, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

apparently, the steelbook is amazon.com exclusive.
Old 04-25-08, 01:53 PM
Banned

That steelbook is beautiful. It looks like it only contains the first film, though, not the entire trilogy.

And for what it's worth, I don't care what anyone says, expert or not: That Dracula restoration was, in fact, a travesty. Just my opinion.
Old 04-26-08, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by Rusty James
That steelbook is beautiful. It looks like it only contains the first film, though, not the entire trilogy.
what makes you think that? here's the listed information on amazon:
DVD Description

The Godfather Trilogy - The Coppola Restoration

# All 3 films fully restored including 5.1 stereo for the first time, with direct involvement from Francis Ford Coppola
# 5 discs box set, including 2 special features discs

New Special Features:
# Godfather World
# The Masterpiece That Almost Wasn't
# When The Shooting Stopped
# Emulsional Rescue - Revealing The Godfather
# The Godfather on the Red Carpet
# Four Short Films on The Godfather: GF Vs. GF Part II; Cannoli; Riffing on the Riffing; Clemenza
# Hidden Easter Egg: Cosa Nostra & Coppola

Previously Available Special Features (also included)
# Director’s Commentary for all 3 films
# Behind the Scenes
# Additional Scenes Chronology
# The Family Tree
# Photo Galleries
# Theatrical Trailers
# Acclaim and Response
# Filmmaker Biographies

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.