DVD Talk
Obama vs McCain - if Barack loses BIG, will it start a race war? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Obama vs McCain - if Barack loses BIG, will it start a race war?

TGM
04-17-08, 10:30 AM
Hypothetically...

More or less, the standard voting populace of the US is roughly 50-50 dem vs republican, with the majority of white voters. Assuming Obama wins the dem ticket, and all the polling and everything leading up to actual election day has Obama winning, or at least a dead heat with McCain then come to find out that come the day after, Obama loses BIG especially with democrats, presumably due to peoples reluctance to vote in an african-american president, do you think that will spur on a race war?

I just think that unfortunately, it is a distinct possibility that when Americans are in the booth, curtain closed, without any cameras in their faces capturing the "politically correct" thing to say, prejudices will beat out loyalty to their party, and Obama might lose in a big way.

thoughts?

Groucho
04-17-08, 10:35 AM
If Democrats were secretly racist, and didn't do anything about it until they were in the voting booth, wouldn't this reflect in the primary results?

wendersfan
04-17-08, 10:37 AM
No, but there's no indication that Obama will lose, let alone lose big.

DVD Josh
04-17-08, 10:42 AM
No, but there's no indication that Obama will lose, let alone lose big.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/us/general_election_mccain_vs_obama-225.html

There are definitely indications that he can lose, and depending on McCains VP choice, these head to head numbers start to get pretty interesting.

But to the OPs point...so if you don't vote for Obama, it's because you are racist? Why not because he's horribly unqualified and has untenable ideas with little rational justification?

Tracer Bullet
04-17-08, 10:43 AM
Sure, why not?

I also think there's an equal chance of a molepeople war if McCain loses.

wendersfan
04-17-08, 10:47 AM
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/us/general_election_mccain_vs_obama-225.html

There are definitely indications that he can lose, and depending on McCains VP choice, these head to head numbers start to get pretty interesting.There are indications that Obama could lose, but I've yet to see any indication that he will. Every public choice model I've seen, Fair's, Abramowitz's, Lewis-Beck's, and Hibbs', predicts a Democratic victory in November.

PacMan2006
04-17-08, 10:50 AM

There are definitely indications that he can lose, and depending on McCains VP choice, these head to head numbers start to get pretty interesting.

But to the OPs point...so if you don't vote for Obama, it's because you are racist? Why not because he's horribly unqualified and has untenable ideas with little rational justification?

That's not what the OP is stating. What he said was that, if polling indicates the night before that Obama will win, and he subsequently loses big the next day, how will people react. That doesn't equate to voters being racist, but one of the many valid arguements could be that people became uncomfortable or uneasy electing a black man as President at the 11th hour.

kvrdave
04-17-08, 10:56 AM
I actually expect more race problems if Obama wins. Not because white people will be angry he won, but because they will get tired of hearing about racism when they don't feel like they are a part of it.

Th0r S1mpson
04-17-08, 10:59 AM
There are indications that Obama could lose, but I've yet to see any indication that he will.
My posts aren't a good enough indication for you? :(

VinVega
04-17-08, 11:05 AM
There will be no race war. If Obama loses big, it means he sucked as a candidate. I don't see that happening, although McCain has pulled even with both Dems in the polling. We're a long way off from November though.

DVD Josh
04-17-08, 11:06 AM
That's not what the OP is stating. What he said was that, if polling indicates the night before that Obama will win, and he subsequently loses big the next day, how will people react. That doesn't equate to voters being racist, but one of the many valid arguments could be that people became uncomfortable or uneasy electing a black man as President at the 11th hour.

Polling indicates alot of things that don't come into fruition on voting day.

I'm also not sure what the difference between being racist and not being comfortable with a black man as president is.

kvrdave
04-17-08, 11:09 AM
I'm also not sure what the difference between being racist and not being comfortable with a black man as president is.

I can think of many situations where it is different, just as being uncomfortable with a woman as president doesn't necessarily mean you are sexist.

Bandoman
04-17-08, 11:12 AM
I can think of many situations where it is different, just as being uncomfortable with a woman as president doesn't necessarily mean you are sexist.

I really don't get that logic. Define "uncomfortable". Don't think they can do the job as well as a white/male? Afraid they'll take try to "get back" at whitey/men?

The Bus
04-17-08, 11:14 AM
Who will fight future race wars when the turbaned Barocky Hussein is eating all the white babies? -ohbfrank-

Ronnie Dobbs
04-17-08, 11:15 AM
Rumors are McCain like Condoleeza as a VP and that would kill two birds with one stone a black and a female. I can almost guranatee McCain's VP will not be a white male.

Tracer Bullet
04-17-08, 11:21 AM

I think that's pretty much the definition of sexism, actually.

General Zod
04-17-08, 11:21 AM
I don't think it will start a big race war. The candidates are different enough on their stances that the decisions voters will be making will likely be on those and not on color - and I think most Americans will realize it. Of course there will be a small population of crybabies that won't like the outcome because "their guy" didn't win .. but that's par for the course.

DVD Josh
04-17-08, 11:24 AM
I think that's pretty much the definition of sexism, actually.

And racism vice-versa. I'm with TB.

If you are uncomfortable with a candidate because of an immutable trait, then you are prejudice, plain and simple.

bhk
04-17-08, 11:24 AM
I would amend dave's statement by saying being uncomfortable with this particular woman being president isn't sexism just as being uncomfortable with this particular black person being president isn't racism.

Bandoman
04-17-08, 11:27 AM
I would amend dave's statement by saying being uncomfortable with this particular woman being president isn't sexism just as being uncomfortable with this particular black person being president isn't racism.

Exactly. I would be very uncomfortable with Hillary in the whitehouse because of her immutable trait of being a liar. I guess that makes me a lie-ist.

X
04-17-08, 11:36 AM
Yes, it will start a war within the Democrat party as they race to stop Hillary from starting her '12 campaign as soon as Obama loses. Come to think of it, they'll have to stop her from starting that campaign as soon as he wins too.

aintnosin
04-17-08, 11:38 AM
There could be backlash if we had a repeat of 2000 (Obama wins pop. vote but McCain the Electoral College), but I think there's a bigger chance of a problem within the Democratic if Clinton gains the nomination via a brokered convention. That might sideline some of the party's most reliable voters in November.

Th0r S1mpson
04-17-08, 11:55 AM
And racism vice-versa. I'm with TB.

If you are uncomfortable with a candidate because of an immutable trait, then you are prejudice, plain and simple.

I disagree. You could also be weighing the effectiveness of the candidate based on the prejudice of others, or feel that the trait has an impact on the job.

Just because I wouldn't send a one legged midget into a combat zone doesn't mean I am prejudiced against one legged midgets. I also would not send a one legged midget into a room full of three legged horses and expect them to fit in. Not that I would dare imply that being black or a woman is anything like being a one legged midget, but you get the point. :D

Yeah, I'll shut up before I get too deep.

But you could have been a staunch abolitionist and still not wanted a black person as president during slave times because of what the response might have been. Now, we aren't in slave times, but that's not to say race is a non-issue in this world.

And having said all that, I DO think we are completely ready for either a black person or a woman as president. I'm just defending the view that thinking otherwise is not necessarily racist or sexist.

DVD Josh
04-17-08, 12:04 PM
I disagree. You could also be weighing the effectiveness of the candidate based on the prejudice of others, or feel that the trait has an impact on the job.

Just because I wouldn't send a one legged midget into a combat zone doesn't mean I am prejudiced against one legged midgets. I also would not send a one legged midget into a room full of three legged horses and expect them to fit in. Not that I would dare imply that being black or a woman is anything like being a one legged midget, but you get the point. :D

Yeah, I'll shut up before I get too deep.

But you could have been a staunch abolitionist and still not wanted a black person as president during slave times because of what the response might have been. Now, we aren't in slave times, but that's not to say race is a non-issue in this world.

And having said all that, I DO think we are completely ready for either a black person or a woman as president. I'm just defending the view that thinking otherwise is not necessarily racist or sexist.

Fear of what others may think is simply latent prejudice. It's an easy way out of covering up for your own.

* by you, I am speaking esoterically, not you TS.

Th0r S1mpson
04-17-08, 12:09 PM
So if a family refuses to allow their black child to go to a KKK rally to sell candy bars, they are displaying unfair latent prejudice towards the child. Right. Got it.

(again, an extreme example but the principle is the same).

Sean O'Hara
04-17-08, 12:18 PM
Well if Hillary doesn't get the nomination, middle class white women will run through the streets with cleavers and chop the penis off every man they see. I don't know about you, but I'd rather have the race war.

DVD Josh
04-17-08, 12:24 PM
So if a family refuses to allow their black child to go to a KKK rally to sell candy bars, they are displaying unfair latent prejudice towards the child. Right. Got it.

(again, an extreme example but the principle is the same).

If only this made any sense whatsoever.

maxfisher
04-17-08, 12:38 PM
If only this made any sense whatsoever.

Say an employer chose to send a black employee on a trip instead of a white employee, because they knew that being black was an important part of the identity of the people that the employee would be meeting with. I'd be surprised if many would call that racist. Not saying that this is relevant to voting for Obama, but there are sometimes simple, pragmatic reasons to select someone for a task because of their race. I don't think any of these pragmatic reasons apply when it comes to the presidential candidates, but it's silly to pretend they don't exist at all.

Venusian
04-17-08, 12:46 PM
I don't know what a race war is. But if there are "voting irregularites" in a close election that causes Obama to lose and people claim the election was "stolen", maybe it could lead to protests and riots.

adamblast
04-17-08, 12:53 PM
How many tinfoil Christians are hoping so? Isn't "a big race war" one of their favorite "end times" signs?

dork
04-17-08, 12:53 PM
I don't think it's racist or sexist at all. For example, I am about as far from racist or sexist as you can get, but obviously not everyone is as enlightened. I know that if I give a promotion to an employee who's black or female, some of the other employees might be resentful, blame affirmative action, etc., which would lead to a worse office environment and actually make work uncomfortable for the promoted employee. So I don't ever promote blacks or females and all these problems are avoided.

Rockmjd23
04-17-08, 12:59 PM
How many tinfoil Christians are hoping so? Isn't "a big race war" one of their favorite "end times" signs?
That was Charles Manson.

Venusian
04-17-08, 01:00 PM
i think there are some who think there will be big wars...i dont think it is a race war though

Th0r S1mpson
04-17-08, 01:03 PM
I don't think it's racist or sexist at all. For example, I am about as far from racist or sexist as you can get, but obviously not everyone is as enlightened. I know that if I give a promotion to an employee who's black or female, some of the other employees might be resentful, blame affirmative action, etc., which would lead to a worse office environment and actually make work uncomfortable for the promoted employee. So I don't ever promote blacks or females and all these problems are avoided.
You will get sued eventually.

Artman
04-17-08, 01:03 PM
I fully expect this sort of thing to come out... it's unfortunate that such a positive will be looked at as some kind of sign that things are worse, or no better than 100 yrs ago... if O doesn't win.

The national polls at this point mean nothing, it'll come down to a handful of states like it always does.

Tracer Bullet
04-17-08, 01:22 PM
You will get sued eventually.

:lol: You fell right into his trap. Do you really think dork has a job?

kvrdave
04-17-08, 01:26 PM
I really don't get that logic. Define "uncomfortable".
Not comfortable
Don't think they can do the job as well as a white/male? Afraid they'll take try to "get back" at whitey/men?

No.

If most of our dealings were with Saudi Arabia, I would not be comfortable with Hillary as president because of their cultural view of women and the liklihood that they would not deal with her as they would a man.

That makes me sexist?

kvrdave
04-17-08, 01:29 PM

No?

dork
04-17-08, 01:29 PM
Do you really think dork has a job?
:mad: Which bus runs near where you live so I can come over and kick your ass?

Bandoman
04-17-08, 01:39 PM
:lol: You fell right into his trap. Do you really think dork has a job?

Or that he's ever seen a black person? :lol:

Th0r S1mpson
04-17-08, 01:42 PM
-rolleyes- I'm glad you guys take this race issue so lightly. Try walking a day in Obama's earmuffs.

PacMan2006
04-17-08, 01:45 PM
Polling indicates alot of things that don't come into fruition on voting day.

There's a big difference between hating someone because of their race, and not being as comfortable around them because of their race. Depending on any given situation, someone may be less willing to talk to a person because he/she is white or black. That isn't inherently racist, it just means that a person may have been rarely exposed to people of a different race other than themselves, and therefore don't feel as comfortable in their presence or, in this case, voting for them.

It really goes back to ignorance, because if you are ignorant of a certain race due to your upbringing, where you live, or circle of friends and family, you're probably more prone to be disintered or uneasy being around them. Or voting for them.

Bandoman
04-17-08, 01:47 PM
Not comfortable

No.

If most of our dealings were with Saudi Arabia, I would not be comfortable with Hillary as president because of their cultural view of women and the liklihood that they would not deal with her as they would a man.

That makes me sexist?

Dork's post, while facetious, illustrates why this is, in fact, racist (or least caving in to/condoning racisim). It's akin to stating you would not hire a black person because your customers wouldn't want to deal with a black person.

Middle Eastern countries seem to have been able to deal with our current secretary of state.

Th0r S1mpson
04-17-08, 01:55 PM
Dork's post, while facetious, illustrates why this is, in fact, racist (or least caving in to/condoning racisim). It's akin to stating you would not hire a black person because your customers wouldn't want to deal with a black person.
What about a woman? They have periods, you know. And smaller bladders. That could affect some things. She could be in the middle of a tough meeting with a room full of dictators and say "Excuse me while I go change my pad." How embarassing for our country. Simply embarassing.

I'm trying. :)

Bandoman
04-17-08, 01:58 PM
What about a woman? They have periods, you know. And smaller bladders. That could affect some things. She could be in the middle of a tough meeting with a room full of dictators and say "Excuse me while I go change my pad." How embarassing for our country. Simply embarassing.

I'm trying. :)

I hear their menstruation attracts bears!

dork
04-17-08, 01:58 PM
Or what if she gets a crush on like Kim Jong-il or someone? They're supposed to be negotiating a tough treaty and she's too busy drawing hearts in her notebook!

Bandoman
04-17-08, 02:01 PM
Or what if she gets a crush on like Kim Jong-il or someone? They're supposed to be negotiating a tough treaty and she's too busy drawing hearts in her notebook!

Hillary Il
Mrs. Kim Jong Il
Hillary Rodham Il
Mr. H. Il.
<3

kvrdave
04-17-08, 02:03 PM

Middle Eastern countries seem to have been able to deal with our current secretary of state.

I can see the argument that it condones racism. I don't think that makes one racist (or sexist).

Is it worse than giving extra credit to women or minorities for gevernment jobs?

Bandoman
04-17-08, 02:07 PM
Whole 'nother topic.

Brent L
04-17-08, 02:11 PM
I actually expect more race problems if Obama wins. Not because white people will be angry he won, but because they will get tired of hearing about racism when they don't feel like they are a part of it.

If Obama wins, there's a chance of a huge racial "war". It will not be just because he wins, but instead it would take place if some idiot nutjob out there decides to harm him in any way.

If Obama is elected, and some racist hurts him, then it will totally shake up the country on all sides, and it could be really, really bad.

Th0r S1mpson
04-17-08, 02:15 PM
I look forward to a Fall TV series starring a charismatic black guy running for president and all the potential issues surrounding it, including the imminent race war. Could be a threat to our NATIONAL SECURITY. Must see! -eek-

kvrdave
04-17-08, 02:16 PM
If Obama wins, there's a chance of a huge racial "war". It will not be just because he wins, but instead it would take place if some idiot nutjob out there decides to harm him in any way.

If Obama is elected, and some racist hurts him, then it will totally shake up the country on all sides, and it could be really, really bad.

I can see that, but I can see the other way as well. As a person who doesn't deal with racism on a day to day basis and treats all people the same (excepting hippies, of course), I could see people getting real tired if he plays the race card while in office a lot.

kvrdave
04-17-08, 02:19 PM
I look forward to a Fall TV series starring a charismatic black guy running for president and all the potential issues surrounding it, including the imminent race war. Could be a threat to our NATIONAL SECURITY. Must see! -eek-

Crap, I hadn't even thought of this. It won't affect my decision on who I vote for, but I'd be ready for every time someone disagrees with President Obama to get labeled a racist.

Th0r S1mpson
04-17-08, 02:20 PM
Okay. There's not going to be a bloody race war. I assume we are all discussing this for entertainment value alone?

kvrdave
04-17-08, 02:31 PM
I don't see there being a race war either. Seems silly. But I do see getting tired of race talk.

Venusian
04-17-08, 02:37 PM
But I do see getting tired of race talk.
racist :p

wendersfan
04-17-08, 02:39 PM
I assume we are all discussing this for entertainment value alone?That would imply this thread has entertainment value.

classicman2
04-17-08, 04:22 PM
I don't know about a race war, but I predict the South will secede from the Union & fire on Fort Sumter. Mike Huckaby will be elected president of The Southern States of America.

The war will last approximately 4 years with both presidents promising to bring home the troops by Christmas.

The first real skirmish will occur when the Army of Northern Virginia takes Washington D. C.

arminius
04-17-08, 04:54 PM
So maybe charlie was just off by a few decades?

Bacon
04-17-08, 05:20 PM
no race war but I'm sure Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton and their bunch of NAACP whiners would try to start one

Th0r S1mpson
04-17-08, 06:20 PM
NAACP whiners
Did he just say that? Can he say that? What. I'm. Well, I never!

creekdipper
04-22-08, 03:33 PM

Note to Self:

(1) Dig underground bunker;

(2) Buy self-sustaining generator;

(3) Stock up on DVD's during summer 20% off sale.

(4) Forget about waiting for Blu-Ray player prices to come down.

creekdipper
04-22-08, 03:39 PM
There could be backlash if we had a repeat of 2000 (Obama wins pop. vote but McCain the Electoral College), but I think there's a bigger chance of a problem within the Democratic if Clinton gains the nomination via a brokered convention. That might sideline some of the party's most reliable voters in November.

Hmmmmm. Exactly who are the "some of the party's most reliable voters" to whom you refer?

If it's whom it appears to be, are you implying that they would abandon the party to whom they have represented the most loyal voting block solely due to their preferred nominee's race, even if the chosen nominee represented their political views?

Wouldn't that make them racist?

Giantrobo
04-22-08, 03:43 PM
If Obama loses there will be more Bullshit lies about Blacks being kept away from voting booths by gun toting white men just like they supposedly did back in 2000. :lol:

The Bus
04-22-08, 03:48 PM
If Obama loses there will be more Bullshit lies about Blacks being kept away from voting booths by gun toting white men just like they supposedly did back in 2000. :lol:

I'll blame the Tracy Jordan "Don't Vote" TV ads.

Giantrobo
04-22-08, 04:13 PM

rotfl

Red Dog
04-22-08, 06:04 PM
MSNBC exit poll - 54% of PA voters said that campaign ads were important to them. And to think people criticize my use of the term 'carbon blob.'

aintnosin
04-22-08, 06:46 PM
Hmmmmm. Exactly who are the "some of the party's most reliable voters" to whom you refer?

If it's whom it appears to be, are you implying that they would abandon the party to whom they have represented the most loyal voting block solely due to their preferred nominee's race, even if the chosen nominee represented their political views?

Wouldn't that make them racist?If there was a perception that Obama got screwed out of the nomination by superdelagates in favor of a white candidate, even a woman, it may not make the black vote switch parties but it could cause enough disillusionment to lead some African Americans to stay at home on election day and sway the general election, especially if it's a close race.

creekdipper
04-23-08, 06:33 AM
If there was a perception that Obama got screwed out of the nomination by superdelagates in favor of a white candidate, even a woman, it may not make the black vote switch parties but it could cause enough disillusionment to lead some African Americans to stay at home on election day and sway the general election, especially if it's a close race.

To lend support to your theory, I just this moment heard a caller to Washington Journal who identified himself as African-American who said that, although he voted for Clinton (twice), Gore, and Kerry, he would not support Sen. Clinton if she won the nomination over Obama.

If Sen. Clinton were black, would he feel the same way?

Or if both candidates were white, would he feel the same way?

Just askin'.

As an aside, I still wonder if Clinton could win the general election since most of her supporters would leave the booth in frustration since they couldn't find a "Sen. Hillary" option. In that case, McCain is a shoo-in just by name recognition alone (can't imagine anyone searching for "Sen. John").

orangecrush
04-23-08, 11:22 AM
"Three Games!"

MartinBlank
04-23-08, 11:55 AM
Why would the race war start only if McCain beat Obama? Last I checked Clinton is white.

What happens if this goes all the way to convention and the super-delegates decide the nominee....won't the pissed-off-idness be on par with the 2000 election? Obama will clearly win the popular vote but the delegates will put Clinton over the top. What then?

MartinBlank
04-23-08, 12:05 PM
To continue...

Which would be worse:

1. Losing BIG to the real opposition in November
or
2. Losing through shenanigans within your own party come convention-time?

mosquitobite
04-23-08, 12:33 PM
To continue...

Which would be worse:

1. Losing BIG to the real opposition in November
or
2. Losing through shenanigans within your own party come convention-time?
I agree. I think the Clinton/Obama thing is much bigger and divisive than some old white man on the other side. Especially if Clinton pulls typical Clinton shenanigans to get the nomination. The Democrat party will have effectively pissed off their youth vote and the black vote. Smart move for their future! :up:

creekdipper
04-23-08, 09:06 PM
Well, if Obama wins the nomination, Clinton will claim that it was the result of a right-wing conspiracy.

And James Carville will appear on Meet the Nation disparaging people who live in trailer parks.

nodeerforamonth
04-23-08, 09:15 PM
Not if he loses big. But if there's another Florida 2000 disaster and it's a close race and some gullible retards think the election was "stolen", yeah, I can easily see riots.

DVD Polizei
04-23-08, 09:33 PM
Okay. There's not going to be a bloody race war. I assume we are all discussing this for entertainment value alone?

-other-

danstheday
04-23-08, 11:51 PM
Before one of my classes yesterday the class was talking about the election and they asked me who I was supporting and I said Clinton . They asked me why and I said I thought Clinton was the stronger of the two Canidates since she has won and is Popular in most all the big states and the flip states that Democrates need to win and they told me I was a racist becouse I supported Clinton, which I'm so not. So I asked why they were supoorting Obama and they said becouse it's time we have a black guy in the white house. So now i'm a racist becouse I'm supporting the person who I believe is best for the job regardless of age, gender or race and there not racist becouse there voting for him becouse they want a black guy in the white house..... AMAZING how people think these days.

MartinBlank
04-24-08, 12:21 AM
Before one of my classes yesterday the class was talking about the election and they asked me who I was supporting and I said Clinton . They asked me why and I said I thought Clinton was the stronger of the two Canidates since she has won and is Popular in most all the big states and the flip states that Democrates need to win and they told me I was a racist becouse I supported Clinton, which I'm so not. So I asked why they were supoorting Obama and they said becouse it's time we have a black guy in the white house. So now i'm a racist becouse I'm supporting the person who I believe is best for the job regardless of age, gender or race and there not racist becouse there voting for him becouse they want a black guy in the white house..... AMAZING how people think these days.

You should have called them all sexist :shrug:

bhk
04-24-08, 12:42 AM

Now you know what it feels like to be a conservative.

PacMan2006
04-24-08, 09:52 AM

How did you deduce from their reasoning that because they like and support the idea of a black President, that that in turns qualifies you as being a racist?

Seems to me you jumped to conclusions.

Secondly, you can say whatever you want about Obama, but lets not pretend the guy is some scrub. If people like what he says, have similar beliefs about his policies, and like the idea of a man being the first black President of this nation, why is that so wrong?

danstheday
04-25-08, 03:44 AM
How did you deduce from their reasoning that because they like and support the idea of a black President, that that in turns qualifies you as being a racist?
They clled me racist

Seems to me you jumped to conclusions.

Secondly, you can say whatever you want about Obama, but lets not pretend the guy is some scrub. If people like what he says, have similar beliefs about his policies, and like the idea of a man being the first black President of this nation, why is that so wrong?

I made my decision not based on color, sex or age and they made there descision on Color

They clled me racist

PacMan2006
04-25-08, 09:38 AM
I doubt they made their choice soley based on color. If that's the case, ask them if they supported Sharpton in 2004.

DeputyDave
04-26-08, 08:13 AM
Unless there is some huge misstep or scandal I don't think Obama has a chance against McCain. I also don't think there would be anything remotely resembling a "black riot".

There is much more likely to be an uproar if Hillary gets the nomination over Obama.

NCMojo
04-26-08, 09:14 AM
There's was a good article in Slate about how enraged African-American voters will be if Hillary Clinton somehow wrests away the nomination from Barack Obama -- I can't find it right now, but the gist of the article is that black Americans already feel disenfranchised as it is, as if the system is rigged against them. If the superdelegates get together in their smoke-filled room and select Hillary Clinton, then in many ways they'll see that the system really is rigged against them. Younger voters who were drawn in by the Obama candidacy will turn apathetic again. And if Hillary gets the nomination, and then loses to McCain, the results for the Democratic Party would be catastrophic.

I don't see the country getting enflamed in a race war -- unless Obama gets shot, which I hope to God doesn't happen -- but I do see the Democratic Party potentially losing a huge voting block.

kstublen
04-27-08, 02:31 PM

You didn't watch Season One of 24?

Crap, I hadn't even thought of this. It won't affect my decision on who I vote for, but I'd be ready for every time someone disagrees with President Obama to get labeled a racist.

I can definitely see that happening.

no race war but I'm sure Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton and their bunch of NAACP whiners would try to start one

I wish I could find it, but I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere a quote of Sharpton saying cities would burn or something if Obama didn't get the Democrat Nomination.

But going off of that, I think if Hillary gets the nomination, there could be some major rioting throughout the country. I never watch it, but this year I will...the Democratic Convention will be a madhouse.

I don't like Obama or Hillary, not because of their ethnicity or gender, but rather because of their positions and records.

That being said, I don't like McCain either, but I'll probably vote for him as a lesser of two evils type of thing. I'll feel better about McCain once I see who his Vice Presidential Running Mate is. I saw someone mention Rice as his potential running mate, but I don't think she will...too much stigma with her and the war.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0