Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Big 80's US summer tour (Human League, Dead or Alive, Belinda Carlisle, etc)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-08, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

LOS ANGELES (Billboard) - The Human League, Belinda Carlisle, ABC, Dead Or Alive, A Flock of Seagulls and Naked Eyes will tour this summer as part of the inaugural '80s-themed Regeneration Tour, scheduled to begin August 1 at the Dodge Theater in Phoenix.

Ticket prices for the month-long U.S. trek, which wraps August 29 at the Chastain Park Amphitheater in Atlanta, range between $20 and $75. Tickets have already gone on sale in Atlanta, Los Angeles and San Diego, with the remaining on-sale dates to roll out in the next four weeks.

Dead or Alive will perform on the jaunt through August 11, and A Flock of Seagulls will join the tour on August 13.
Old 04-11-08, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pretty cool but I'd rather see The Go-Go's than Belinda solo.
Old 04-11-08, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
Oh, agreed. Don't like BC's solo stuff at all. But she's still fun to watch.
Old 04-11-08, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Half of Naked Eyes died in '99 (but not the singer). I'm guessing A Flock of Seagulls is only the original lead singer. And Belinda outside the Go-Go's... no thanks.

However, The Human League would still kick ass. Wouldn't mind seeing ABC either. Never seen any of these acts live before.

I thought the name of the tour at first was Reagan Generation... lol.
Old 04-11-08, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
Half of Naked Eyes died in '99 (but not the singer). I'm guessing A Flock of Seagulls is only the original lead singer. And Belinda outside the Go-Go's... no thanks.

However, The Human League would still kick ass. Wouldn't mind seeing ABC either. Never seen any of these acts live before.

I thought the name of the tour at first was Reagan Generation... lol.
Yeah, none of these acts are the entire original line-up. Such as Flock of Seagulls. And ABC is just Martin Fry and the drummer from the original line up. Mark White left years ago. Human League are GREAT live!
Old 04-12-08, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Originally Posted by LiquidSky
Strange. Belinda's been touring with the Go-Go's for years now. I wonder what the story is with this. I'm pretty close with a band member; I'm going to find out the real scoop and I'll post the word here.
Old 04-12-08, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Sweet. Wonder if it will hit my area.
Old 04-13-08, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

what's wrong with solo Belinda? she had a lot of good singles on her own IMO
Old 04-13-08, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
To me, Journey, Heart and CHeap TRick tour is more appealing.
Old 04-13-08, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by superdeluxe
To me, Journey, Heart and CHeap TRick tour is more appealing.

That would be a great tour...if Heart swore not to play any songs they recorded after 1981.
Old 04-13-08, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nothingfails
what's wrong with solo Belinda? she had a lot of good singles on her own IMO
Eh, just my taste. I liked her first single "Mad About You", but basically couldn't stand anything after that. Her music unfortunately fit right in with a lot of nasty late 80's Top 40.
Old 04-13-08, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DaveWadding
That would be a great tour...if Heart swore not to play any songs they recorded after 1981.

With the exception of "Alone", they don't play any of their stuff post 1981 anymore. And "Alone" is a great song btw. Glad they are wise to include it in their live play lists.
Old 04-13-08, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
Strange. Belinda's been touring with the Go-Go's for years now. I wonder what the story is with this. I'm pretty close with a band member; I'm going to find out the real scoop and I'll post the word here.
Why do you see this as a "story"? The Go-Go's just came off of a mini January/February tour. This 80's tour this summer is just a one time thing. And Belinda did have a successful solo career. I doubt it has anything to do with her relationship with the Go-Go's. Who, btw, should be recording again if you ask me. Their last album in 2001 was the best thing they've ever done. And it sucks ass it only sold 90,000 copies. All they do now is tour once a year or so. I say keep recording too. So when you talk to your band member friend, ask if they ever plan on doing original material again
Old 04-13-08, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Belinda started going Frenchy. Last album was entirely in French and she's been living in France.

She's the biggest headliner among those groups. She doesn't fit the rest of the new wave bands. Howard Jones or Thomas Dolby would be a better fit.
Old 04-13-08, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Originally Posted by Daytripper
Why do you see this as a "story"? The Go-Go's just came off of a mini January/February tour. This 80's tour this summer is just a one time thing. And Belinda did have a successful solo career. I doubt it has anything to do with her relationship with the Go-Go's. Who, btw, should be recording again if you ask me. Their last album in 2001 was the best thing they've ever done. And it sucks ass it only sold 90,000 copies. All they do now is tour once a year or so. I say keep recording too. So when you talk to your band member friend, ask if they ever plan on doing original material again
I only heard a little bit; seems to be a sore subject. She's VERY pissed now at B. The Go-Go's are NOT in a good place right now, though I've seen bad bickering between them before. Will try to get more info.

BTW : If anyone had actually bought God Bless The Go-Go's, there might be more incentive to make another album. Glad you liked it. I thought it was pretty great as well.
Old 04-14-08, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
I only heard a little bit; seems to be a sore subject. She's VERY pissed now at B. The Go-Go's are NOT in a good place right now, though I've seen bad bickering between them before. Will try to get more info.

BTW : If anyone had actually bought God Bless The Go-Go's, there might be more incentive to make another album. Glad you liked it. I thought it was pretty great as well.
Re: your last comment....yeah, I know. It's sad. But very few artists are selling records these days. Hell, the B-52's last album "Funplex" that came out two weeks debuted at Number #11 on Billboard's Hot 200. You want to know how many copies it sold that first week? At #11?? 30,000 ! And, of course, it dropped like 40 or more percent the next week. That's insane. 30,000 copies that high on the charts. It really is true, the music industry is dead.
Old 04-15-08, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This tour is coming to Jones Beach. I'd love to go, but I'm going upstate that weekend to visit friends, and also to see Cheap Trick, Heart, and Journey
Old 04-15-08, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The New singer for Journey is Philipino, and is REALLY good. Its quite amazing.
Old 05-08-08, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

no Perry = no Journey IMO
Old 05-11-08, 07:53 AM

No Talk Talk, Ice House, Haircut 100, Lene Lovich or Tears for Fears = no sale
Old 05-11-08, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wonder what it would take to get Talk Talk to tour again? Mark Hollis doesn't seem like the type of person who'd do a nostalgia gig.