Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Virtual Concerts: is this the new trend?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 04-10-08, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I get this email today that shows:

May 15
Virtual Concert: String Cheese Incident -
High Def from Red Rocks
Bluebird Theater
On Sale Friday @ 10am!
And I think to myself, "what the hell is a virtual concert", "I would go to the Bluebird to see SCI at Red Rocks?". I do some investigating and find this article:

March 13, 2008 11:03 AM
By Kym Kilgore
LiveDaily Contributor
The String Cheese Incident [ tickets ] may have entered retirement, but the veteran jam band's music will continue to make the rounds on a "virtual tour."
Last summer's farewell concerts in SCI's home state of Colorado were captured on film and will be shown on big screens at theaters and colleges around the country. "The String Cheese Incident - Hi Def from Red Rocks" tour is scheduled to launch tomorrow (3/14) in Portland, OR, and the first batch of dates will stick close to the West Coast through early April. Details are listed below.

The virtual concert experience includes more than three hours of live footage, and several of the shows will be followed by a live acoustic performance by SCI violinist/mandolinist Michael Kang, Chris Berry and three-piece African Drum ensemble Jinji. Those gigs will benefit Our Future Now, which promotes ecological responsibility.

After 14 years together, The String Cheese Incident called it quits following last year's summer concert season. The move followed a prior announcement that guitarist and principal band member Billy Nershi would leave to pursue other projects.

The group, which built a hefty grassroots following through touring, issued all of its albums on its own SCI Fidelity label, beginning with 1996's "Born on the Wrong Planet." The String Cheese Incident released its fifth and final studio set, "One Step Closer," in 2005.

[Note: The following tour dates have been provided by artist and/or tour sources, who verify its accuracy as of the publication time of this story. Changes may occur before tickets go on sale. Check with official artist websites, ticketing sources and venues for late updates.]
So, is this the new trend for bands that break up now? Instead of releasing a dvd of their concert performance, you go watch it on a big screen and then see the remaining members play some solo stuff? Just found it interesting and wanted to share. Thoughts?
Old 04-11-08, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess not.
Old 04-14-08, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts
I've only heard of a few bands doing this. I suppose it would be kind of cool for fans of a band to get together and have a few drinks, trying to relive the "glory days".

I wouldn't do it.
Old 04-15-08, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
First off SCI is a terrible band.
I've seen a live concert in theaters, a few years ago Regal had a live feed from the Phish show in Brooklyn. it was a good time, packed theater, everybody was enjoying it. I don't see this becoming a trend but some artist have a built in fan base where this could work if they do it rarely.
Old 04-15-08, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Dumb idea. It's the same reason I'm not a big fan of live albums or live DVDs; I need to be there to feel the energy of a live show. Nothing else can compare.
Old 04-15-08, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Dumb idea. It's the same reason I'm not a big fan of live albums or live DVDs; I need to be there to feel the energy of a live show. Nothing else can compare.
U23D came pretty damn close.
Old 04-15-08, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
That is why I greatly prefer Audience Recordings...They give you a much better feeling of "being" there...

(I do agree with ^^ about U23D as well)