Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

When did video games start dropping the F bomb?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-08, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Growing up on games it came as a bit of a shock when I first started hearing F bombs uttered in games. I thought it may have started with this generation of games. But I think I first heard F bombs in GTA San Andreas.

Which games do you recall first hearing them? Did it come as surprise to you that nearly every M rated game has characters that swear like sailors?
Old 04-05-08, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The first game I remember that made a big deal of it was Kingpin: Life of Crime. Certainly the first game I ever heard use it. And it was in pretty much every sentence.

It also was one of the first games to feature deformable skin, so you can see where your bullets hit on the enemies body.

It was also one of the first +100mb demos. I remember how angry people were about how long it would take to download.
Old 04-05-08, 07:24 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh yeah, I remember Kingpin: Life of Crime. The game itself was a just a basic FPS, but it sold on the extreme swearing and violence alone.

I remember the huge demo too. I saw that it was 100 MB and my jaw dropped when I realized it was going to take forever to download. If I remember right, it actually was the first PC game to have a demo break the 100 MB barrier. The forums were full of people talking about it. Nowadays we have demos that are well over 1 GB.

Here is a sample clip from Kingpin. This probably is not work safe.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qiNMDT0-TkQ&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qiNMDT0-TkQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 04-05-08, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by taffer
Oh yeah, I remember Kingpin: Life of Crime. The game itself was a just a basic FPS, but it sold on the extreme swearing and violence alone.

I remember the huge demo too. I saw that it was 100 MB and my jaw dropped when I realized it was going to take forever to download. If I remember right, it actually was the first PC game to have a demo break the 100 MB barrier. The forums were full of people talking about it. Nowadays we have demos that are well over 1 GB.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qiNMDT0-TkQ&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qiNMDT0-TkQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
LOL!
Old 04-05-08, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
I was trying to remember the name of that game a few days ago. That game was terrible.
Old 04-06-08, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is the earliest videogame f-bomb I can think of, at 1993.

Old 04-06-08, 08:19 AM

Is this legit????!!! I've never heard of this game. What system was it on?

That seems very graphic to me for any system prior to what is coming out now. I've never been a huge gamer, but for me, the first F-Bomb I heard came out in GTA I think on PS2.
Old 04-06-08, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by danegger
Kingpin was/is a PC game.
Old 04-06-08, 09:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by danegger

Yes, it is legit. Kingpin: Life of Crime was released on the PC in 1999. There was never a console port (you can probably imagine why).

PC gaming doesn't have the same censors that console gaming does. Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo up until recently would not allow graphic games like that on consoles. On PCs, there is nobody to tell you that you can't release a graphic game.

Kingpin certainly wasn't the only graphic PC game of the 90s. There were quite a few AO rated PC games then. AO rated console games didn't really come about until very recently.

Phantasmagoria (released on PC in 1995) was one of those interactive FMV movie games, and it was extremely graphic as well. There was a heavily implied rape scene in it. Sony and Nintendo would never have allowed a game like that on their consoles at the time. Phantasmagoria 2 came out a few years later, and it was even more graphic. The rape scene in the original game was only implied. The sequel explicitly had frontal nudity and a sex scene shown on screen.
Old 04-06-08, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
This is the earliest videogame f-bomb I can think of, at 1993.

Love that game. Too bad we'll probably never see Gabriel Knight IV.
Old 04-06-08, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes, it is legit. Kingpin: Life of Crime was released on the PC in 1999. There was never a console port (you can probably imagine why).

PC gaming doesn't have the same censors that console gaming does. Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo up until recently would not allow graphic games like that on consoles. On PCs, there is nobody to tell you that you can't release a graphic game.

Kingpin certainly wasn't the only graphic PC game of the 90s. There were quite a few AO rated PC games then. AO rated console games didn't really come about until very recently.

Phantasmagoria (released on PC in 1995) was one of those interactive FMV movie games, and it was extremely graphic as well. There was a heavily implied rape scene in it. Sony and Nintendo would never have allowed a game like that on their consoles at the time. Phantasmagoria 2 came out a few years later, and it was even more graphic. The rape scene in the original game was only implied. The sequel explicitly had frontal nudity and a sex scene shown on screen.
Ah the Phantasmagoria series... fond memories!

Also, now that I think of it, one of my favorites, a little known game called Harvester, may have had profanity in it. I know it had tons of gore!

Harvester (1996)
Old 04-06-08, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh man, Harvester was a seriously f'ed up game.
Old 04-06-08, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I remember the huge demo too. I saw that it was 100 MB and my jaw dropped when I realized it was going to take forever to download. If I remember right, it actually was the first PC game to have a demo break the 100 MB barrier.
It wasn't. I remember there being another demo that was bigger: title had something to do with Darkness.

Also, when Epic released the first video for Unreal Tournament (then still called "The Botpack"), the video was over 100MB. People had to wait overnight to see the footage.
Old 04-06-08, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Oh kingpin was great. I played the hell out of that demo, came out while I was in college. Me and some friends were just talking about it the other day.
Old 04-06-08, 11:19 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you go to an R rated movie, you expect F-Bombs. You buy an M rated game, I guess you need to expect the same. If the game has enough blood and guts to get an M rating, one should not be surprised to hear the F word.

One game that surprised me though was Rainbow Six Vegas. I was playing a terrorist hunt, and my wife came in and yelled at me for saying the F-word so loud with the kids in ear shot. Try as I might I could not get the fuckers to say it again to prove to her it was not me.
Old 04-06-08, 11:38 PM

Now that you mention it, I think Pong may of dropped it once or twice.
Old 04-07-08, 02:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Layziebones
Now that you mention it, I think Pong may of dropped it once or twice.
No f-bombs, but still more violent and more swearing than original Pong:

http://www.elfrigo.org/flash/pong.htm
Old 04-07-08, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Which games do you recall first hearing them?
I've been thinking about this for a bit, and I really couldn't fucking tell you.
Old 04-07-08, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)

Say what? I'm pretty sure there were several AO games on 3DO and Sega CD in the early 90s. There was that one "Night Stalker" or something - where you had the monster slicing up girls in the sorority house and you were playing as some sort of SWAT guy trying to catch him - graphic violence and nudity IIRC.
Old 04-07-08, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Tuan Jim
Say what? I'm pretty sure there were several AO games on 3DO and Sega CD in the early 90s. There was that one "Night Stalker" or something - where you had the monster slicing up girls in the sorority house and you were playing as some sort of SWAT guy trying to catch him - graphic violence and nudity IIRC.
I assume you don't really mean Night Stalker:

Maybe you meant Night Trap? Except Night Trap didn't have graphic violence or nudity. Are you kidding me? It had a woman in lingerie getting poked in the neck by a plastic kid's toy.

But there were fucking Senate hearings on this.
Old 04-08-08, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, Night Trap is pretty laughable by today's standards (actually, it was pretty laughable then too). It's "objectionable content" makes an episode of Buffy look like Cannibal Holocaust.
Old 04-08-08, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I remember playing Kingpin. It was a good game.
Old 04-08-08, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
But there were fucking Senate hearings on this.
Our government dollars at work.
Old 04-08-08, 02:23 AM
Banned

Night Trap... graphic? I second the .

You want graphic?

Here are a couple graphic scenes from Phantasmagoria:

NSFW

Spoiler:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/q5f2p42bviI&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/q5f2p42bviI&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/J0nj1J9jxjE&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J0nj1J9jxjE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Phantasmagoria looks cheesy today, but it was pretty intense in 1995.
Old 04-08-08, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Currently replaying The Longest Journey. Massive amounts of bad language in that game. And unlike the games mentioned above, it was never sold as a "big kids'" game.