Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Digital Copies

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-08, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Digital Copies

OK, this may be a stupid question. But I've been seeing the term "Digital Copy" more and more lately and have no idea what it is. Can anyone explain?
Old 04-04-08, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not 100% sure but I think it's supposed to be an mp4 video file playable on iTunes.
Old 04-04-08, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's correct. While some DVDs are a bit harder to encode (i.e. most Universal DVDs have sync issues), it's just a simple process of using Mod note: s/w that will not be discussed here . Taking up a whole disc is kind of pointless considering a 2-hour film takes up about 750 MB in a high quality encode.

Last edited by nemein; 04-04-08 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-04-08, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's a separate disc that comes with the original DVD. They provide you with a code and it allows you to transfer the content onto your computer for either iTunes or another similar program. I have a few movies that came with the digital copy, but haven't used 'em yet to see if they work well or not. I see no real use for them, because I have a program that rips and converts movies already, but I guess if you don't have one of those these discs can come in handy.
Old 04-04-08, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Not all will allow you to rip them to itunes, though, correct? My copy of I Am Legend said that it could only be used on WMP and was not compatible with itunes or ipod.
Old 04-04-08, 02:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mod note: For now I'll allow this thread (whether another mods/admin cuts off the conversation is up to them). Please remember though we have a strict rule against "Posting requests for copies of copyrighted material, or "how-to-get/make bootleg material" instructions". So if the conversation starts to go in that direction this may get closed down.

Thanks

Last edited by nemein; 04-04-08 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-04-08, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PatrickMcCart
Taking up a whole disc is kind of pointless considering a 2-hour film takes up about 750 MB in a high quality encode.
Maybe a high-quality encode to be viewed on an iPod screen, but you're crazy if you think that a 2-hour film taking up 750 MB will look even DECENT on a 32" or bigger TV...

-jason
Old 04-04-08, 07:18 PM

I was wondering which Digital Copies work with iTunes? I know the Digital Copy versions of Live Free or Die Hard and Order of the Phoenix only work with Windows.

The main reason I was interested in these was the possibility of being able to put them on my iPod.
Old 04-04-08, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 899 Likes on 723 Posts
I just don't get the current love affair of compressing things to death, which yields absolutely abysmal quality... A good rule of thumb for "digital" copies is :

MPEG-2 video= 8 Gigabytes for 2 hours of video (720x480)
MPEG-4 video= 3-4 GB for 2 hours (640x480 or 352x480)

The whole *idea* of youtube's absolutely terrible limitations (320x240 and max bitrate less than 500 kbits/sec) makes it useless when quality is even a fleeting concern...

With 10 Mbits / sec cable internet connections common now in the US, the problem is obviously not in the fault of the broadband infrastructure...

Last edited by zyzzle; 04-04-08 at 07:38 PM.
Old 04-04-08, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

can i play the disc in a dvd player?
Old 04-04-08, 07:54 PM

it's kind of annoying that you're paying more for the digital copy when it's added in a 2-disc edition, particularly if that's the only thing that it's adding. you already bought the movie, shouldn't the digital version be the same?

i know in some cases, the 2nd disc has additional special features on it (like with juno, i believe) but why not just put a piece of paper with a link to go to a site to download it instead of making a whole new disc just to house the digital copy? seems wasteful to me.
Old 04-04-08, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by animatedude
can i play the disc in a dvd player?
No, it's designed for computers and/or portable devices. But why would you want to? That's what the DVD is for.
Old 04-04-08, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Sorry, but I don't want David Lynch cussing me out no more.
Old 04-04-08, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by shyguy1083
i know in some cases, the 2nd disc has additional special features on it (like with juno, i believe) but why not just put a piece of paper with a link to go to a site to download it instead of making a whole new disc just to house the digital copy? seems wasteful to me.
Not everybody has high-speed internet, and if it's on a CD, it probably costs as much to include it as it would for the piece of paper.
Old 04-04-08, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't get it. Live Free or Die Hard had a 2 hour documentary, plus additional features on Disc 2 AND the digital copy. Why, now, are we including ONLY the digital copy on the second disc of various Fox DVDs? Seems like a total rip-off.
Old 04-05-08, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I got one with Family Guy Presents: Blue Harvest. I was surprsed that it was on an entire separate disc with nothing else.

For me, it's just a novelty, as I don't watch movies on a 2 inch screen, or at my PC. I suppose, if you have a laptop, and were to go on a long trip, it would be nice to have legal back-ups of several movies from which to choose right there on your HDD.
Old 04-05-08, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by shyguy1083
but why not just put a piece of paper with a link to go to a site to download it instead of making a whole new disc just to house the digital copy? seems wasteful to me.
Because it's only going to be available at the site for a limited time, at best they'll have it up for a year. If you have a physical copy you can use it 5 years from now.
Old 04-05-08, 01:31 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Because it's only going to be available at the site for a limited time, at best they'll have it up for a year. If you have a physical copy you can use it 5 years from now.
Agreed. While I may never use these "digital copies", if they are going to include them as a bonus I want them on disc and not downloadable.

I plan to always use disc based media, but it is looking that that may well change. In 5 years, we may all have 100 terabyte hard drives in our home computers, home theater systems, and cell phones, and our movie collections will be all digital based.
Old 04-05-08, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fuzzbox
Maybe a high-quality encode to be viewed on an iPod screen, but you're crazy if you think that a 2-hour film taking up 750 MB will look even DECENT on a 32" or bigger TV...

-jason
750 MB is optimal for 2 hours of 320x240 MP4 video with 192 kbps stereo sound, but in no way was I inferring it would be acceptable for anything larger than an iPod screen. I hope you didn't think I meant it was optimal for regular DVD video. That's why using an entire DVD-5 for the file is ridiculous. Much better to put it on the supplemental disc since they're rarely maxed out in space. They do this for PDF extras and the occasional mp3s (radio shows).
Old 04-05-08, 02:36 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

I transferred my digital copy of 'Family Guy: Blue Harvest' onto my iPod and everything looks fine to me. The reason behind me having that and probably any others that are downloadable onto iTunes is to pass the time at work if necessary.
Old 04-06-08, 01:38 PM

I was wondering how "big" size wise are the Digital Copies? 500MB for a 2 hour movie?
Old 04-06-08, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Is the aspect ratio preserved on these things or is that a pointless question?
Old 04-06-08, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If only the Digital copy is on the 2nd disc without any extras on the second disc, how can it be a rip-off? Just buy the single disc then.
Old 04-06-08, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by acdcrocks1980
I was wondering how "big" size wise are the Digital Copies? 500MB for a 2 hour movie?
Here are some of the sizes of downloaded movies:
I Am Legend_PC - 1.11 GB
I Am Legend_Port - 413 MB
Live Free or Die Hard - 1.46 GB
Resident Evil Extintion - 939 MB

I've downloaded a few of them to my laptop already. I am wondering if the movie is actually on the dvd, or if it is a link to a website that downloads it to your computer, and the # that is in the case registers it, which means you can only download it once. I've tried to download a few to a computer I have connnected to my tv. I thought I would be able to, but it says the registration key has already been used. It says that it is only available for dowload for a limited time, which means the website will be shut down eventually. I haven't tried transferring the movies from my computer to a portable hardrive or player, such as an IPod, but I Am Legend had two copies of the movie downloaded, one of which was for portable devices. I think it is a pretty cool idea to be able to purchase a legal digital copy of the movie along with the dvd, I just hope that the movie can be transferred to another hardrive because the video card on my desktop is much better than my laptop. I guess I should have just downloaded it to my desktop. I'm sure we'll be seeing more and more of these, but they should increase the download window or have some way to verify ownership in case a person's computer crashes, and the movies need to be re-downloaded.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has been successful in transferring a movie that was downloaded legitmately. I'm not trying to figure out how to burn it or copy it endlessly onto other computers, I just wonder if there is some way to transfer it since I made the mistake of downloading it to my laptop. I haven't downloaded American Gangster yet, but I'll be dowloading that one to my desktop.
Old 04-07-08, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DVDMagic
I transferred my digital copy of 'Family Guy: Blue Harvest' onto my iPod and everything looks fine to me. The reason behind me having that and probably any others that are downloadable onto iTunes is to pass the time at work if necessary.
I love the idea personally. I only wish they were also giving a version that worked on the PSP since it has a bigger screen, but overall I was happy to have a portable version of Blue Harvest for when I'm bored somewhere with just my iPod handy. Granted we could rip our DVDs and do this ourselves, but I like the idea that studios are starting to understand that people want a portable version of the movie and offer it with the DVD.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.