Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Asterix aux jeux olympiques

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-08, 03:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The French DVD of this is down for 8/28, apparently, in a 2-disc set. I don't have any other details (although I expect it won't have English subs), nor do I know of any other editions on the way. I expect Pathe will do the UK disc, and they released the film theatrically in an unprecedented Fr/UK simultaneous release back in Feb. Hopefully the UK disc will be along a bit quicker than the time it took for the Pathe UK Mission Cleopatra disc to surface, if anyone remembers that thread.

And for what it's worth, I got on fine with the critically-panned Olympic Games. It's pretty long for that sort of thing, Clovis Cornillac seems an odd choice for a replacement Asterix, and both Asterix & Obelix are effectively sidelined in their own movie as Benoit Poelvoorde's Brutus hogs the show. Still, it's too easy to dwell on its faults, and my guess is if you liked Take on Caesar & Mission Cleopatra then the latest film will work OK for you too. Fans of Poelvoorde and Alain Delon will want to take a look, in any case.

Dazza.

Last edited by Dazza; 04-04-08 at 05:43 AM.
Old 04-04-08, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks, I didn't even know this existed. I hope Pathe does a descent job on the English release. Pathe's release of Mission Cleopatra was unique. I don't think it tell's you anywhere on the cover that the English and French version on that DVD are completely different and two seperate movies.

Dirk
Old 04-04-08, 10:21 AM

That's right - IIRC, the UK disc of Mission Cleopatra only lists the running time of the longer (subbed) version of the cover, and doesn't mention that the truncated version (dubbed, and about 20 mins shorter) is also included. To all purposes it looks like the French/English options are purely for audio... no indication that which one you pick on the menu lands you one of two very different cuts of the film! I've a feeling it may be OOP now, or a bit trickier to track down - on Amazon UK, for example, it's now only available via marketplace.

Dazza.
Old 04-04-08, 10:33 AM

I only found out when I watched my copy and I was playing with the language options that there are two cuts of the film on the disc. I was wondering why the title sequence was different and that's why I compared it more.
I bought it when it was realeased. I also have the German DVD but that has German only Audio and that is the reason why I bought the Pathe also, to get the original Audio track with subtitles I can understand (English). Too bad I don't speak French.

Dirk
Old 04-04-08, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by DirkUSA
Too bad I don't speak French.

Dirk
Yep, the French 2-discer is very nice... great extras, superb packaging, plus a nice DTS track also. I bought it upon release but also picked up the UK disc many years later as I was curious to see the shorter cut.

Although you say you don't speak French, the Fr 2-discer is so nice it's worth buying anyway IMO

Dazza.
Old 04-04-08, 01:02 PM

Don't say that, my wife will kill me if I start to buy movies that I can't even understand.

Dirk

But if I learn some French........., then it would be ok to buy French only movies, wouldn't it????????? Mmmmmmhhh!
Old 04-05-08, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by DirkUSA
But if I learn some French........., then it would be ok to buy French only movies, wouldn't it????????? Mmmmmmhhh!
About the last great surprise of the french box office, Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis, you should be fluent in chtimi,
the patois used in northern France, to understand everything.

Article from The Guardian.
Old 04-05-08, 12:42 PM

Off-topic, but Tutut: have you seen Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis? I'm planning on going to see it in the next couple of weeks when I'm in Boulogne s/ mer (which will make for an interesting place to see it!), and just wondered what you thought of it?

Dazza.

Last edited by Dazza; 04-05-08 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-07-08, 04:25 PM

Yes, I've seen it.
My feelings are mixed, I think using exageration to mock the clichés and showing how much they're superfluous didn't work everytime.
You can feel sometimes the humanity and the tenderness Dany Boon put in this film, but comparing with another hit such as Amélie Poulain, I don't understand why people go crazy over Bienvenue. I suppose it's the right film at the right time, that answer to the needs of the french actually.
Old 04-08-08, 05:39 AM

OK, thanks Tutut. I'll check it out next week.

Dazza.
Old 08-06-08, 04:40 PM

UK R2 is out on 8/25.

The France R2 (not English-friendly) has been moved from its original date of 8/28 to the earlier date of 8/22...

Good to see a near-simultaneous release - just like the theatrical run. Also nice that there won't be another huge wait for the UK disc like there was with Mission Cleopatra...

Dazza.

Last edited by Dazza; 08-06-08 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-28-08, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just received and watched the UK PAL DVD of ASTERIX AT THE OLYMPICS - what a crappy movie, just like the first one. They should call this movie ANNOYING FRENCH COMEDIAN AT THE OLYMPICS. I have no idea why Benoit keeps on getting movie roles. He is the most unfunny, unlikable actor I have ever seen. The direction is awful. Asterix and Obelix are barely in the film. There were only two funny scenes in the movie that involved dogs, and in another, a leapard. What a shame - they should have stuck with Alain Chabat from the previous film, one of the few remaining french actors/directors that understands humor. French comedies used to be good, but now they are pretty awful.

The DVD is anamorphic with French DD 5.1, english subtitles or you can watch it with an awful English dub. The only extras are two trailers.

ASTERIX AT THE OLYMPICS: D
ASTERIX AND OBELIX: MISSION CLEOPATRA: A+
ASTERIX VERSUS CEASAR: D
Old 08-28-08, 09:05 AM

Thanks for the info toddly6666. I am glad it has the original French track, I will order it later today.

Dirk
Old 01-14-09, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Asterix aux jeux olympiques

The cheaper Thai PAL DVD (anamorphic widescreen, DD 5.1 French, English subtitles) is now available for 10 bucks including shipping at: http://www.ethaicd.com/show.php?pid=44017