DVD Talk
[Pictures of Ted] Kennedy dumping diesel fuel into Nantucket Sound [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : [Pictures of Ted] Kennedy dumping diesel fuel into Nantucket Sound

grundle
03-23-08, 06:20 PM
Ted Kennedy is the same "environmentalist" who has always favored wind power, but opposes the proposed wind farm that would be several miles from his summer mansion.

Now there is newly released footage, from 6 years ago, of him deliberately spilling oil from his yacht into the water.

http://www.capecodtoday.com/blogs/index.php/2008/03/13/kennedy_dumping_oil_itno_nantucket_sound?blog=53

03/13/08

By Walter Brooks

The yacht Mya discharges oil into Sound after 2002 Figawi Race

http://www.capecodtoday.com/images/oiltklaunch_590.jpg
This photograph was taken from shore when the photographer saw Ted Kennedy (the larger shape in the Hyannisport Yacht Club Launch on right) leaving the yacht Mya while it was discharging oil into Nantucket Sound. Photos courtesy Peter Robbins

Politician becomes polluter on "pristine Nantucket Sound"

By now every Cape Codder has heard our senior US senator Ted Kennedy proclaiming his resistence to the Cape Wind project on Nantucket Sound because, as he said, "that's where I sail."

http://www.capecodtoday.com/images/oiltkdieselbilge_400.jpg

He has called Nantucket Sound "a national treasure", but his love and respect doesn't not extend to his own habits as these photos of him dumping diesel fuel from the bilge of his yacht Mya into the same waters he tries to prevent others from using for renewable energy projects.

The photographer was so shocked as the scene unfolded on the day that the 2002 Figawi Race ended in Hyannis, that he put his dingy into the water and rowed out to question the crew member left aboard Mya that May day.

After he approached the yacht the diesel slick coming from Mya was clear and spreading.

He asked the crewman "what the hell are you doing?"

When told that he was moored in coastal waters near shellfish beds and people swimming, the man replied, "whatever."

F. Scott Fitzgerald's character Gatsby was right when he said, "the rich are different than you and I."

Why run 6-year old photos? The answer is simple - we received them two days ago sent anonymously to our Investigative Reporter (and Blogger) Peter Robbins.The crewman told him that diesel had gotten into the bilge and he was ordered to dump it.

NotThatGuy
03-23-08, 06:36 PM
[Al Gore] OOOOMMMMMMGGGG!111111111[/Al Gore]

Jason
03-23-08, 06:54 PM
Where's the poll? I wanted to express my approval of Teddy's actions.

Venusian
03-23-08, 06:54 PM
so it wasn't kennedy but his boat

crazyronin
03-23-08, 06:55 PM

Which has a mind of its own and can turn its own bilge pump on and off.

Groucho
03-23-08, 06:58 PM
Those crystal-clear photos are damning evidence indeed!

DVD Polizei
03-23-08, 07:06 PM
Lucky for you people I happen to have the uncensored version of the pic.

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/8474/oiltkdieselbilge4001re9.jpg

WCChiCubsFan
03-23-08, 07:13 PM
If this is true Iím curious as to why the photographer didnít report it to the authorities six years ago? Reporting a boat that is discharging fuel, waste or whatever into the water is very easy to do.

By the way, I'm not sure if it was intentional or by accident but the original postís last line is not an accurate quote from the blog. The way it is in the post it implies that the crewman confirmed to the blogger that oil was dumped but in the blog it does not.

VinVega
03-23-08, 08:02 PM

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/8474/oiltkdieselbilge4001re9.jpg
:lol:

General Zod
03-23-08, 08:18 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/general_zod/tkennedy.jpg

Ted is taking this news calmly.

movielib
03-23-08, 09:51 PM
Hey, it's a big step up from you know what.

wishbone
03-23-08, 10:29 PM
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/5292/sqdmathewpressrcajq1.jpg
http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/4194/musicnoteqw0.gif Don't drink the water. http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/4194/musicnoteqw0.gif

Venusian
03-24-08, 07:46 AM
Which has a mind of its own and can turn its own bilge pump on and off.
which was manned by someone other than kennedy

Red Dog
03-24-08, 07:53 AM
If he was dumping Chivas into the Sound, then it would be a story.

Vibiana
03-24-08, 12:18 PM
I'm waiting for the pic of him dumping Mary Jo Kopechne into the river.

NCMojo
03-24-08, 12:35 PM
By the way, I'm not sure if it was intentional or by accident but the original postís last line is not an accurate quote from the blog. The way it is in the post it implies that the crewman confirmed to the blogger that oil was dumped but in the blog it does not.
You know... that photo doesn't look like oil that had been dumped. It looks like a shadow. And diesel fuel isn't black, it's clear, so either the photo is miscaptioned or somebody is an idiot.

Why did the photographer submit the photos anonymously? And why wait six years? Why is the first picture so godawful and blurry while the next one is practically crystal clear?

And as WCChiCubsFan noted... why chop out the part of the article that makes the spill seem much less ominous and deliberate?

:hscratch:

Venusian
03-24-08, 01:07 PM
what part of the article? It looks like there was a copy and paste error that made the side box show up in the middle of the article. other than that though, it is all from the blog.

General Zod
03-24-08, 01:13 PM
I agree with Mojo. It doesn't look like diesel being dumped to me either. I know absolutely nothing about boats but not too long ago I saw a boat that was dumping a bunch of water right about at the same spot and the boat owner told me it was some sort of overflow water. I'm not sure why someone would dump fuel anyway??

Edit: I missed it earlier in the article about "bilge pumps". So I read up on it a bit and see now why someone would need to dump fuel. So that answers that. But it doesn't mean that is what was happening in this photo.

And the photographer was obviously so outraged that he sat on the photos for 6 years? Please..

JasonF
03-24-08, 01:29 PM
How would diesel get into the bilge anyway?

Giantrobo
03-24-08, 01:36 PM

rotflrotfl

Dave7393
03-24-08, 01:53 PM
Now there is newly released footage, from 6 years ago, of him deliberately spilling oil from his yacht into the water.

I only see two grainy pictures.
Where's the footage? -popcorn-

Numanoid
03-24-08, 03:26 PM
If this story wasn't so sad, it'd be hilarious. Think about it...an "anonymous" source sends someone on the Internet two grainy photos with a story about a public figure engaged in a crime -- a story that cannot possibly be confirmed or corroborated, or even ASSUMED from said photos. Then, certain less discerning members of the Internet community take it completely at face value and run with it, spreading it to other sites like this one, completely presenting it as fact.

Of course there is NO WAY these could just be a couple of random shots of a boat with a made-up story attached to them, right? No way.

Chrisedge
03-24-08, 03:36 PM
Where is Ted Kennedy in those pictures? Oh, he's not.

Here is a picture of GWB killing innocent babies...
http://marc.merlins.org/blogmedia/196_Crowd.jpg

Can't see it? Look closer...

classicman2
03-24-08, 03:41 PM
Some diesel fuel is clear. Some is not.

General Zod
03-24-08, 03:45 PM
Trust me Chrisedge if this were supposedly Bush's boat we'd be hearing about immediate impeachment calls from Ted Kennedy.

Edit: I should add that there would be riots in the streets as well.

JasonF
03-24-08, 03:50 PM
Trust me Chrisedge if this were supposedly Bush's boat we'd be hearing about immediate impeachment calls from Ted Kennedy.

Ah, the other tried and true tactic of the partisan on the internet: "Oh yeah!?! If this were [someone from your party], there would be riots in the street!!!1!"

General Zod
03-24-08, 04:00 PM
Ah, the other tried and true tactic of the partisan on the internet: "Oh yeah!?! If this were [someone from your party], there would be riots in the street!!!1!"
Thanks Jason. I added the "riots in the streets" to my previous post. Thanks for the reminder :up:

How partisan can I be? I already defended Teddy in this thread. I'm pretty sure that even if this did happen he had no idea as he was probably below decks getting sauced.

porieux
03-24-08, 04:02 PM
If the story was true, he should have flicked a match into the fuel slick as the response to 'whatever'.

crazyronin
03-24-08, 05:10 PM

The owner of a ship is responsible for the crew's actions.

Mordred
03-24-08, 05:14 PM
If this story wasn't so sad, it'd be hilarious. Think about it...an "anonymous" source sends someone on the Internet two grainy photos with a story about a public figure engaged in a crime -- a story that cannot possibly be confirmed or corroborated, or even ASSUMED from said photos. Then, certain less discerning members of the Internet community take it completely at face value and run with it, spreading it to other sites like this one, completely presenting it as fact.

Of course there is NO WAY these could just be a couple of random shots of a boat with a made-up story attached to them, right? No way.You forgot to mention that it was a 6 year old crime.

Dave7393
03-24-08, 05:50 PM
You forgot to mention that it was a 6 year old crime.

That too. Hey, whenever I'm shocked and outraged by a crime that I witness that could likely be front page news, I'm always sure that I only take one shitty semi close-up picture of the incident, and then I wait several years before showing it to anyone. It lends credibility to my story, especially when I remain anonymous while doing so.

JasonF
03-24-08, 05:59 PM
Thanks Jason. I added the "riots in the streets" to my previous post. Thanks for the reminder :up:

How partisan can I be? I already defended Teddy in this thread. I'm pretty sure that even if this did happen he had no idea as he was probably below decks getting sauced.

Nothing personal. It just seems like every time there's one of these arguments, somebody trots out "You're calling my guy Hitler, but if your guy did it, you'd throw him a parade." How do you know what Senator Kennedy would do if President Bush discharged diesel from his bilge?* The answer is you don't -- nobody does -- so why do you assume it would lead to impeachment?

* I can't believe the forum censors allow me to say "discharged diesel from his bilge."

creekdipper
03-24-08, 06:26 PM

Maybe the same guys that committed the Watergate break-in.

Something tells me that this incident will eventually appear in a Simpsons episode.

Regarding the matter of responsiblity, just remember that Kirk would have had Scotty keelhauled through an asteroid belt if the Chief had been caught doing this.

mikehunt
03-24-08, 06:41 PM
not the first time he's discharged oil and fuel into a water source. first time was from a car

but those pics don't really show anything

NCMojo
03-24-08, 06:50 PM
Maybe the same guys that committed the Watergate break-in.

Something tells me that this incident will eventually appear in a Simpsons episode.

Regarding the matter of responsiblity, just remember that Kirk would have had Scotty keelhauled through an asteroid belt if the Chief had been caught doing this.
1) The Republicans committed the Watergate scandal -- your statement makes no sense.

2) What incident? You think a blurry anonymous photo from the blogosphere is somehow worthy of Simpsons satire?

3) The Star Trek reference is extremely lame, even by the standards of teh Internet. :sad:

Numanoid
03-24-08, 11:46 PM
Has anyone done a Chappaquiddick joke yet? Because not only would that be totally clever and unexpected in a Teddy Kennedy thread, it would be even more timely than this story.

Dave7393
03-24-08, 11:51 PM
Has anyone done a Chappaquiddick joke yet? Because not only would that be totally clever and unexpected in a Teddy Kennedy thread, it would be even more timely than this story.

Post #15 gets honorable mention, but I wouldn't call it a joke.

I'm hunting through some grainy pics I took in '01-'02, just in case I have something this good. -ohbfrank-

creekdipper
03-25-08, 09:29 AM
1) The Republicans committed the Watergate scandal -- your statement makes no sense.

2) What incident? You think a blurry anonymous photo from the blogosphere is somehow worthy of Simpsons satire?

3) The Star Trek reference is extremely lame, even by the standards of teh Internet. :sad:

"Even by teh standards of the internet"??? Mojo, I didn't think that even you would deliver such a low blow. That's probably the most insulting thing anyone has ever said to me!

Ahem...to cheerfully respond just to kill time...

(1) That was sarcasm (sorry it didn't come across). It was an allusion to Venusian's observation that it wasn't Kennedy's hands who allegedly dumped the oil...just a reminder that the buck stops with the person in charge. I was in college during the Watergate scandal & watched the Senate hearings (and discussed them during classes), but thanks for the 'help' anyway.

(2) Groening satirizes anything & everything. If the alleged incident became well-publicized, I don't think he'd hesitate for a moment to use it if he thought it could get some laughs.

(3) So sorry you didn't find the comment amusing...while it wasn't a rib-tickler or knee-slapper (and was never intended to be), I really don't care a whit if it offended anyone's political sensibilities. I read all sorts of lame attempts at humor & don't feel the need to critique each one...I just shake my head & ignore it. Methinks you are reading WAY too much partisanship into my comments...they were just lighthearted comments that would have been made regardless of the political party. None of the allegations have been proven in court, so (I thought) this was just sort of a "silly thread" for most of us to have a little fun. Didn't realize that you were related to the clan.

Some people just need to lighten up...Edward Kennedy is sort of beyond satire at this point, having lived a charmed Teflon life (not many politicians could have survived some of the scandals with which he's been associated). That's why I brought up the Simpsons, since he (by proxy) is a regular character.

Anyway, hope you're having a better day today & not feeling so cranky. My wife says hot baths & camomille (sp?) tea helps. -wink-

If not...and it makes you feel better...Flame On! (I know...lame FF reference).

grundle
03-25-08, 02:02 PM
Where's the poll? I wanted to express my approval of Teddy's actions.

I don't do polls.

grundle
03-25-08, 02:02 PM

But the boat was under Kennedy's control.

grundle
03-25-08, 02:06 PM
If this is true Iím curious as to why the photographer didnít report it to the authorities six years ago? Reporting a boat that is discharging fuel, waste or whatever into the water is very easy to do.

Are you saying I changed it before I posted it? I didn't mean to do that. What words are different? I don't remember changing anything.

grundle
03-25-08, 02:09 PM
I'm waiting for the pic of him dumping Mary Jo Kopechne into the river.

http://discovermagazine.com/2003/may/featoil/

Anything Into Oil

If a 175-pound man fell into one end, he would come out the other end as 38 pounds of oil, 7 pounds of gas, and 7 pounds of minerals, as well as 123 pounds of sterilized water.

grundle
03-25-08, 02:11 PM
what part of the article? It looks like there was a copy and paste error that made the side box show up in the middle of the article. other than that though, it is all from the blog.

Thanks.

Sometimes you can't copy an entire article all at once, so I have to do it in parts. I guess sometimes I make a mistake.

grundle
03-25-08, 02:13 PM
Here is a picture of GWB killing innocent babies...

Those babies were guilty, not innocent.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0